Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Is the Loneliest Number – But Not for This eBay Seller

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 01:55:27 PM by News Team

The perks of running an online business? You get to be your own boss, set your own hours, and work in your pajamas.

The drawbacks? You can’t complain about your boss, bounce ideas off coworkers, or dish about last night’s Game of Thrones episode.

And, it can get a little lonely.

That’s why Anastasia of George’s Toy Chest founded the NYC Metro Area eBay Sellers Meetup group. The same entrepreneurial spirit that drove her to start a career selling on eBay inspired her to create a space for like-minded individuals to exchange ideas, learn from one another, and probably even have a little fun.

But, let’s start at the beginning. We recently had a chance to ask Anastasia some personal questions about her passion for selling on eBay and the role community plays in her long-term success.

How did you get started selling on eBay?

I’ve been a part-time eBay seller since 1998 and an entrepreneur since I was a kid. After hitting a career crossroads a few years ago, I decided to play around with selling on eBay full-time. I never looked back.

What do you sell?

I sell anything and everything, but I have a special place in my heart for vintage toys from the 1880s to 1990s. I think of myself as an adoption agency, reuniting people with things from the past. Sometimes it gets personal. A few years ago, I bought these little 1950s wooden puzzles at an auction house. There were some scribbles on the back that I disclosed in my listing. A woman bought them and told me she had a very distinct memory of making those marks. She let me know how much they meant to her. I was totally overwhelmed with emotion.

Did you start an eBay Meetup Group to find other people dedicated to reuniting people with things from the past?

Yes. I wanted to be around sellers who were doing the same thing, and also just marching to the beat of their own drum and making a living doing something creative and unique. Now, our group has more than 200 members, and we meet monthly to discuss all sorts of eBay topics. We also bring in guest speakers and provide a place for sellers to connect with each other.

Sellers always tell me that community is a huge part of their success on eBay. It’s the one constant. Do you agree?

Definitely. I’m active in other eBay Meetup groups, regularly contribute to eBay Facebook groups, and listen to eBay Radio, too. I love attending eBay events. This year’s eBay OPEN event was a blast. But, it’s not all about fun and games. If you’re at all serious about selling on eBay, you have to connect to eBay and other sellers. Otherwise, it’s too easy to fall behind.

So true. Okay, let’s go back to Meetups. What advice do you have for sellers who want to start their own eBay Meetup group?

Well, it’s not as hard as it sounds. Here’s what I suggest:

1. Learn from the experts. Reach out to eBay sellers who are already running big, successful groups for help. Also, Stephanie Inge (founder of The Dallas eBaybes & eMales Meetup Group) wrote an awesome guide on starting a Meetup group. You can learn it all from her.
  1. Start your group and create that first event. You might worry that no one will show up or think that you won’t have anything to talk about. Just rely on your entrepreneurial, risk-embracing self and jump in.
  1. Look for sponsors. See if you can get eBay-related vendors (companies that sell shipping supplies or eBay-related software programs) to sponsor your monthly event. Give them a few minutes at the beginning of each meeting to pitch their solution(s) to make it worth their time.
  1. Consider charging for your events. If you can’t line up sponsors, you might want to charge attendees a small fee ($3 or so). You’ll need a little money to cover your Meetup subscription fees, secure a space, offer refreshments, etc.

Great tips, Anastasia! Thanks for being such a fixture in the eBay community.

Still curious about the benefits of joining or running an eBay Meetup group? Find out more from three veteran sellers who’ve been running eBay Meetups for years. Or, discover all of the other ways that you can find your eBay people.

Don’t miss a thing. Sign up for the eBay for Business blog digest: eBayforBusinessBlog.com

5 Comments
by qbradf0rd · Explorer
qbradf0rd
Explorer

great ideas....

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

Thanks for the feedback, @qbradf0rd. Anastasia is amazing. Happy holidays! ~Shana

tigerlilly700
Adventurer

002.JPG1940's Lilli Ann Coat005.JPG1970's wool ponchoHi, I have been selling on eBay for many years. I have a love of vintage clothing. Well, more like an obsession! I seem to have hit a road block and I am searching for ways to build my business. I have had many years of illness which have included 2 different battles with breast cancer. It has taken a toll on my enthusiasm but I am starting to feel the drive again!

I have been researching and I see that alot of peeople blog, do pinterst, instagram and the like. I find all of this overwheming even though I have a degree in computer applications and support.

Do you have any advice for me. My sells have dropped off to nothing. I know my store needs alot of work and planning to start with pictures and a new store banner as soon as I can get the pictures i plan to use.

I really like your ideas!

Sincerely, Debra "The lonley, one number".

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

Hi @tigerlilly700. Sounds like you've been through some tough times. Smiley Sad Happy to hear that you're persevering and ready for the next level.  I think you're on the right track. Can you tell me your Store name so I can take a look and give you some more specific advice? Thanks! ~Shana

tigerlilly700
Adventurer

Hi Shana, it is called Enchantment Land vintage.

Here is the address.http://stores.ebay.com/Enchantment-Land-Vintage .

I live in Roswell, NM. I also wonder if some people think that I live in another country. Some people have thought that New Mexico was part of Mexico. I guess they did not realize we are part of the United States of America. So glad you answered me!

Sincerely, Debra