Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing Fast, Listing Smart: 8 Tips from Sellers for Listing Efficiency

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 01:23:43 PM

Listing—particularly photographing your items and writing item descriptions—can be a time-intensive process. We asked our eBay community for their tips and tricks to list faster and more efficiently. Here are their time-tested tactics for a smoother, faster listing process.  

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 1.18.13 PM.png

1. Batch similar tasks together.

“Do like things together. Do the photography for each item first, then process the pictures, then weigh each one. I keep one box/envelope of each size I use taped together and open, so I can ensure I have the perfect shipping size for each item.

Finally, grab yourself a cup of coffee, sit down in your office (or couch, LOL), and list them all, using the pictures you've already taken and the weights/shipping box sizes you've already calculated. Use the custom label field to identify where the item is stored in your inventory. Then put all your items away so they aren't cluttering up your eBay space. No matter what your process is, group similar activities together and get yourself into a routine.” - Seller Janet W.

1. Don’t duplicate work.

“When I’m listing a large, heavy item, I take a picture of it on the scale (showing the weight) and keep that picture with the other pictures of that item. Then when I'm listing, I can just refer to the weight picture without having to go get the item.” - Seller Janet W.

1. Use the sell similar feature.

“I ‘sell similar’ for every listing and I do not create new listings from scratch. This cuts down on the time it takes to type all of the information again. I search by brand or style and create a listing from a listing that’s already there.” - Seller Emily M.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 1.19.55 PM.png

1. Use a template or document to get started.

“I use a listing template for each type of item I sell. I gather and prep similar items, take all photos and get them cropped and ready to go. I sell small stuff so I can keep the items in the order I took the photos. Using the template I can bang out several listings in a sitting. The template is uniform and easy to read.” - Seller Barb W.

“I have a word doc [with text from previous listings] so if I have another item that I've listed in the past that is similar, I can use the word doc as a starting point.” - Seller Mark S.

1. Pick your battles.

“I do not take pictures of brand or size tags. It’s rare that someone asks and if they do, I’ll send a photo of it. The time it would take for me to take all of those extra photos can be spent getting more items photographed and listed for sale.”   - Seller Emily M.

1. Prep, prep, prep.

“I photograph a good number of items and when I get 15-20 items shot, I'll sit down and write descriptions in a text document for each item and drop them into a to-list folder with their photos. Then, at any given time when I want to list, I have a bank of stuff all ready to go. Once I list it, I move it to a listed folder for the date it was listed.” -Seller Mark S.

1. Use your mobile time wisely.  

“I spend a tremendous amount of time standing in line at thrift stores. I use that time to “sell similar” and I set my price. When I get home all I have to do take photos and list.” - Seller Melinda D.

1. Remember, slow and correct beats fast and sloppy.

“I start by taking pictures of all the items I want to list. I process all the pictures and then sit at my desk and list each item. I do ‘sell similar’ which saves me a lot of time, but I find I need to be very careful so I don’t make mistakes on item specifics. I go shopping for items to sell almost every day and I list every day as well. I am a very self-motivated and independent person so I stick to my plan and I see that it pays off.”  - Seller Jacqueline D.

Submission have been edited for length and clarity.

What are your best tips for fast listing?

by nirmitha_mw · Adventurer | Updated

Great tips!  I just started using a template and it's making a big difference.  Batching is the next thing I'm going to try.

Thanks @nicolestate for referring me to this board.

by pamedelc · Rising Star
Rising Star

When I have a detailed listing that sells, I try to keep an eye on it in my "Items sold" scroll.  I grab it and send it to my drafts so it doesn't get away from me and I have to redo it.  The Mobile App has a nice "Items sold" scroll that shows 2 months worth of sales.  You can grab listings from there and send to drafts for similar items and save a lot of time generating new listings.

I take all the pictrures that need to be taken all at once.

I put them in files once they are cropped.

I write all my listings up in Word and save that in the same item file.  Files are titled by item number then item name.

These go in a large file with Letter Files and Item name files.

When an item is sold, I put that file in a sold file, so I don't have to start over if an item comes back.

Great tips! I don’t agree with #5, you shouldn’t skim over important stuff like photos of the tag. Just because buyers are not asking doesn’t mean they don’t want to see and it could keep your return rate low. 

by nannyg54 · Enthusiast

Thanks for all the good advice. I am  seriously thinking of selling on eBay and, need all the help I can get.