cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Use Pinterest to Sell More on eBay: A Chat with Joel Meek

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

Last year we did a whole series on Pinterest. If you missed it, we covered getting set up, how to use it successfully, and common pitfalls to avoid. Well, thanks to a recent chat with Joel Meek, Head of Partner Online Sales and Operations at Pinterest, we have some new tips and data to share—straight from the source:

Joel, we’ve done a handful of articles on Pinterest in the past, so I’d love to dig specifically into how sellers can use it to sell more on eBay.

Sure, well I’d say for eBay sellers, Pinterest is the perfect platform for capturing the attention of people who are actively looking to be inspired, and eventually to buy. For that reason, it’s a great tool for directly promoting sellers’ items on eBay. However, I do have a few words of advice for sellers using Pinterest:

• It’s best to use a large number of boards, and categorize some of them by the types of items that they sell, such as “Cool Collectibles,” “Toys for Tots,” or “Fashion Finds.” It’s not a good idea to put a bunch of random items together.
  • Sellers should pin often—daily if possible. The more they pin, the more relevant they’ll be to fellow pinners (and potential customers). It’s best to keep boards fresh and alive.
  • Be careful with pin ratios:
    • 75% of Pins should be purely inspirational—not about selling.
    • 25% of Pins should link to a seller’s items, and look just as beautiful as the other Pins on their board.
What sellers don’t want to do is stand out because their image quality or lighting is bad, or the item is on a dusty table. This will only erode their credibility as a future source of reliable inspiration.

True. I’m visualizing some eBay product shots that should never see a Pinterest board. But, I have seen a lot of Pins that I was surprised were actually connected to businesses.

Yes, there are hundreds of thousands of active businesses on Pinterest—small businesses to large corporations. We’re seeing really strong adoption amongst a wide range of small and medium sized businesses (SMBs) across the globe. In fact, right now 80% of all Pinterest businesses have less than ten employees. So eBay sellers certainly fall into this category.

I think it’s catching on more and more with sellers who are savvy about marketing their business. Can you tell me about the Pinterest audience?

Sure, our audience represents some of the most coveted groups in marketing. We have more than 70 million monthly active users in the U.S., 48% of which are currently American women. 80% of usage is on mobile, and a third of Millennials are on Pinterest. Also, we’re broadening our appeal with men—that’s our fastest growing demographic.

That’s some good data. It also underscores the need for eBay sellers to be mindful of mobile optimization.

Yes, people are inspired standing in line for a latte in the morning, on the treadmill at the gym, and laying on the couch in the evening. That’s why sellers should definitely post product pics that look good on a mobile device—and pinned on boards. A Pin is the strongest signal of intent that a seller can expect—outside of placing a bid or hitting the Buy It Now button, of course. Pinners are essentially raising their hands and letting them know what they care about, what they want to do, and what they’ll be buying next. Sellers should use this data regularly.

Right. That leads me to a question about analytics. We’ve recommended that sellers get a Pinterest business account so that they can take advantage of the reporting. Can you tell me some more about analytics?

The analytics that sellers get with a Pinterest business account tell them what people are pinning the most. They’ll also be able to see how Pins from their Pinterest profile are performing. We’ll tell them which of their Pins and boards are driving the most impressions, clicks, and repins. And we’ll also clue them into Pins that drive engagement across different platforms. This will all help sellers determine what their customers really want, and can even inform inventory choices.

That’s a goldmine of data for an eBay seller. And, the business account is free, right?

Yes, same as a personal account. You really can’t go wrong with cross-promoting your items using a Pinterest business account. The average Pin is re-pinned eleven times. Basically, a seller could easily create a chain reaction of sharing.

Chain reactions are a very good thing in this respect! Thanks for the info, Joel. It seems like the more a seller puts into marketing their items on Pinterest, the more they’ll get out. Endless potential.

Are you marketing your eBay items on Pinterest? Tell us how it’s going in the comments below.

4 Comments

I am, but the first thing is to get as many followers as you can. By following others gently on daily basis, 20-25% of the pinners you follow, follows you back as a courtesy. So this gives you a better grip to help give your business a boost & a more domino effect when you share things with your fellow pinners/followers. Business account not neccissary at first if you're a beginner, once your familiar with Pinterest, you may decide to spice up your mood for an upgrade if you like eventually..  Follow me on Pinterest or message me anytime for more help, tips & tricks that works! @ https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi0iJLd0oDR...    

See Ya!

- Eamonn =)

by vintige · Rockstar
vintige
Rockstar

I think that pinning your own items is a great idea. It drived many more people to your store, especially if you have a lot of followers.

ggdealzandstealz
Adventurer

How do I change the Pinterest account to a different one through ebay

by mcguf_donn · Adventurer
mcguf_donn
Adventurer

Since I have an ebay page for the store, I can't verify my business account.  Will that affect how my pins are shared are if they can be found in a search on Pinterest?