Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Protect Your eBay Business While You’re Away

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 04:08:48 PM by News Team

Vacay_TW.jpg

At some point during your eBay selling career, you’ll need to be out of the office for a few of days. Can we just recognize for a moment how much you deserve that?

OK, now let’s talk about keeping your shoppers happy and making your absence as seamless as possible, so that you can preserve the business you’ve worked so passionately to build:

Top-Rated Plus seller (no employees)

Let’s say you’re a Top-Rated Plus seller running a one-person show with an eBay Stores subscription. For you, maintaining your seller status is paramount. It took you a long time to get here and you don’t want to ruin your seller reputation over a tropical vacay. Simple. Just follow these steps and put your Store on vacation mode:

• Post a message that alerts buyers to your away status and return date. This message will appear above your listings and on your Store home page.
  • Select “Hide and block purchases from my fixed price listings” to keep them out of search and hidden from view.
  • End your auction-style listings before you leave or after you return. Otherwise, open bids will remain live even when using your Store vacation settings.

Top Rated Plus seller (with employees)

Alternately, if you’re a Top Rated Plus seller with employees, you have a distinct advantage when it comes to being out of the office. You’ll just want to train your people now on the basics of keeping your business running. Make sure they’re familiar with your:

• Inventory system
  • Packaging practices and chosen carriers

You might even want to give them a couple of test-run days to make sure that they’re prepared to uphold the standards you’ve worked so hard to establish.

Not a Top Rated Plus seller (no employees)

This is all great for Top Rated Plus sellers, but what if you’re a more casual seller or haven’t yet reached the upper echelons of selling on eBay?

Not a problem. If you don’t have an eBay Stores subscription (or have one but don’t want to close your Store entirely), you can use the bulk edit feature to adjust handling times for all of your fixed price listings.

This way you’ll adjust buyer expectations regarding how quickly they can expect their item(s) and protect your seller status. Oh, and don’t forget to end your auction-style listings before or after your return.

We realize that there are other variables when it comes to keeping customers happy and protecting your business when you need to be away, but these are the most common scenarios. The main point is, when buyers have a good experience on eBay, they come back. And we all like that part.

Bon voyage!

Have some tips for protecting your business while you’re out of the office? Let us know in the comments below, and feel free to share this article with your eBay peers via email and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn. 

11 Comments
by pcmbuy · Rising Star | Updated
pcmbuy
Rising Star

If vacation settings are on and you still allow purchases does a delay in shipping affect performance ratings? From what I am reading here I am guessing yes?

by brianr64 · Adventurer
brianr64
Adventurer

Can someone comment on the correct way to handle watch list items?    I put my store on vacation mode for 5 days and checked the setting to hide all fixed price listings.  Yet someone that had watched an item still sees the listing and purchased the item the day after I left.  I have 1 day shipping and was not able to ship for 4 days, which gives me a late shipment. I thought buyers were blocked from paying if I hid my listings?  I have yet to see anywhere that EBay explicitly addresses this scenario.  Thanks.

by speak4you2 · Adventurer
speak4you2
Adventurer

I am interested in the answers to the two questions above.  I don't see an answer from eBay anywhere.  Where are the answers?  What good is a question without eBay answering it?

by carlbach · Adventurer
carlbach
Adventurer

Question:  If I leave for 5-days and adjust my handling time to 5-days (as suggested in the article), won't that hurt my TRP seller status?  

dvc-enterprise
Adventurer

1. What about an unforeseable emergency situation?  Will calling eBay enough?

2.  What if the buyer put your item in his/her Cart but didn't pay immediately?  Will turning on your vacation notice and hide the fixed price item block them to make the purchase?  Thanks

by bstdeals4u · Pathfinder
bstdeals4u
Pathfinder

How do I turn the vacation mode on?

by carlbach · Adventurer
carlbach
Adventurer

Hey bstdeals4u -- they linked to instructions in the article:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/placing-store-vacation.html#changing

It's not difficult -- be sure to put your Out of Office auto-responder on too - it's in same area.  I've done this a few times when I've gone away....kills me to stop the sales, but the beach is nice Smiley Happy  

somethingunderneath
Adventurer

This is an issue I have had for years, and I've suggested to eBay multiple times to fix. When you put your store on vacation, say for 5 days, and leave your listings live so customers can still purchase, eBay does NOT adjust the handling time accordingly.  So if I have an item on 1 day handling, and it gets purchased the day after I leave town, I'm still expected to ship it while away. EBay suggests the way around this is to change all of my handling times before I leave. But I run a business with thousands of items, many from different warehouses that have different handling times. It would take many hours of work to change them all (even in bulk), then to change them all back correctly when I return. I also do not want to turn my listings off while away, as many customers do not mind a few extra days and I would lose that income. I don't understand why eBay cannot automatically add 5 days to the handling time on a listing when you put your store on vacation. Last year I temporarily lost my TRS status (which I have had since starting this business 7 years ago) due to this very problem. It makes taking an actual vacation impossible.

watterson226
Adventurer

Hi, I don't do it this way.  I go ahead and advance my handling time for all my fixed price listings using the bulk lister.   My auctions are spread to 10 days after I get back.  I keep my store open.  I also give them a message to say that I am on vacation.   Granted, I won't be a top rated seller for 7 days or so, but that doesn't matter to me.  When I get home I mail my items and change my handling time & delete the vacation message.   If I get sales during the time sometimes  I send them an email to remind them that I am on vacation and that the item will not be sent until I return.  If I get a question that I can't answer while I am away, I send them a note to say that I am on vacation.  If they don't like that, I tell them I will refund their money.  I don't like losing sales just because I choose to go on vacation.  

missdeesboutique729
Adventurer

I LEFT FOR 2 WEEKS PUT MY ITEMS ON VACATION WITH A NOTICE THAT I WOULD RETURN ON A SPECIFIC DAY AND THAT IF PURCHASES WERE MADE THEY WOULD ALSO BE SHIPPED ON A SPECIFIC DAY...THE BUYERS UNDERSTOOD THE NOTICE..  EBAY PENALIZED ME FOR LATE SHIPMENT ON THESE ITEMS.. YOU ARE NOT TOLD THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN IF YOU PLACE YOUR ITEMS ON VACATION AND SOMEONE BUYS YOUR ITEMS...

by knateb · Adventurer
knateb
Adventurer

If we as sellers with a store put our items on vacation mode, advising the date we return and items will be avaialbe for shipping; we should not be penalized for late shipments from eBay! I do not have the time to go through over 800 listings and change my 1 day shipping to 10 day shipping requirement. This should be changed for store owners!