Did you mean: 

How to Combine eBay Shipments Destined for the Same Address

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 03:30:41 PM by News Team

Bundleshipping_Header.jpg

“How do I combine shipments to the same address?”

It’s one of the most common questions we see pop up on the eBay Community. And it makes sense. Maybe you offer free shipping and have noticed that you can save time and money by combining two items going to the same address. Or, maybe it’s something that a buyer has requested of you.

Either way, I’m here to help. Here are step-by-step instructions for combining eBay shipments:

1. Sign into Seller Hub.

Once there, click on “Orders” and then from the drop-down menu, “Awaiting shipment.” If you don't have a Seller Hub account, sign up! It's free - you just need to activate your access.

Combined shipping 2 blur.png 

2. Select the items you’d like to ship together.

From the “Shipping action” box, check "Print shipping labels” for the items you’d like to ship together.

Combined shipping 2 blur.png

3. Start the shipping process.

Next, click on the “Shipping action” drop-down menu and select “Print shipping labels or invoices.”

Combined shipping 3 blur.png

4. Select your shipping label.

Now, click on “Purchase and print shipping labels” and select “US postage Service or FedEx shipping label.”

Combined shipping 4.png

5. Enter your shipping details as usual

You’ll be in familiar territory, now. Just add your weight and dimensions, select your shipping service, and get that package out to your carrier.

That’s it. If your buyer is paying for shipping, you might want to credit savings back to them as a partial refund through PayPal (especially if it’s something they’ve requested). On the other hand, if you offer free shipping, you’ve just saved yourself a little cash. Go, you!

Feel free to share this article via email and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.

46 Comments
by vintige · Thrill-Seeker | Updated
vintige
Thrill-Seeker

I wonder what @ecop!s buyers would think if they saw their user ids and email addresses being displayed to the world...Smiley Wink I know I wouldn't want that.

i have found this combine order thing very helpful when someone buys more than one item from me and does not use the cart. One good thing about the seller hub.

by legacytool · Adventurer
legacytool
Adventurer

Sellers who offer this option are ALWAYS at the top of my list!

by rixstuff · Guide
rixstuff
Guide

I get how to do combined shipping of multiple purchases to the same buyer but I actually ran into a buyer from Italy who wanted me to get with 2 other sellers and ship all our packages to Italy together to save postage and customs!!  I dont think he completely understood how big the US is!

thegoodsgoddess
Adventurer

This method will combine items for the shipping label, not the orders in My ebay. They still appear as separate, and request feedback for both and create separate packing slips. You can do the same thing with bulk shipping labels. Ebay used to combine the order, allowing all purchases to be on one packing slip. Is this still possible to do?

by vintagecraze50 · Guide

Combined shipping is a great money saver for sellers and buyers alike and in general is a good practice. However, When you sell very expensive items and you combine them you need to be very careful using this. The issue is when you combine you get one tracking number. Now, let's just look at a possible bad scenerio that can happen with this. Buyer contact you and says, "hey.I only got the one item in the package" Well, wonder what will happen when they open a case with Ebay and Pay Pal stating this. Seller only has one tracking number to verify item(s) were sent. Now, who is Ebay and Pay Pal going to believe. Would like some clarification on this because at present it seems combining expensive items is a huge risk. You need separate tracking numbers to shown without a doubt that several items were sent and recieved with valid tracking uploaded in the case.

cdelight132013
Adventurer

If we send partial refund back to buyer due to savings on combined shipping. Does Ebay credit us final value fees on shipping?

News Team
News Team

Thanks for the feedback @*gosnoopy*! I've fixed the images so that users IDs and emails have been blurred. ~Audrey

by varebelrose · Rockstar
varebelrose
Rockstar

You lost me at step one, "Log into Seller Hub". Don't like it, don't use it, don't want to use it.

sherryberry111
Adventurer

No wAy, I HATE SELLER HUB

*playitagain*
Adventurer

"If we send partial refund back to buyer due to savings on combined shipping. Does Ebay credit us final value fees on shipping?"

Years ago, eBay would automatically adjust/correct the FVFS when a Seller gave a partial refund to a Buyer for combined shipping. Then it stopped. Now, when a partial refund is sent to the Buyer, the only way a Seller will get their refund on the overpayed portion is to phone eBay and specifically ask for it. I've had to this numerous times in recent years. And there's a cut-off period so one needs make sure they're asking for the partial refund within 1-2 month billing period. SADLY eBay doesn't inform members they are entitled to a partial refund when they've overpayed their fees. When you've done right by the Buyer, make sure eBay does right by you.

by bfdgems · Adventurer
bfdgems
Adventurer

We have a lot of orders we combine and do refunds on because  when ebay updated the shopping cart the buyers can no longer request an invoice.  Ebay suggests using the combining rules to fix the issue but that doesn't work with USPS as they don't take into account weight limit for First Class, and more improtantly for our customers, flat rate boxes.  We were calling up and getting refunds when they first changed the shipping cart but when it was running 2 or 3 a day they stopped allowing us to call & get the FVF refund.  The customer service rep told us to just pass the FVF on the refund on to the customer.  Not exactly a practice that will "delight" your buyers as ebay likes to suggest.  I feel ebay is entirely focused on the buyer side of the house or keeping the Mega sellers happy, which is where all the buyer side "upgrades" are focused as they try to find growth in an Amazon world.  I can understand that they are in a bad position as the old business model of selling used items via auction has a very low growth ceiling that they have probably already hit but it just gets a little old continually getting thrown under the bus as a mid size seller.

rainbowranchmom
Adventurer

Has eBay taken care of the "glitch" that prevents combined shipping to Switzerland and other nations? I had some good sales and the global shipping program would not allow me to combine shipping no matter what I did. I took the hit and ate the loss in shipping to please my customer. I would sell internationally again IF the global shipping program would allow combined shippping - in fact, it actually popped up a window that said it couldn't accommodate combining purchases for shipping! Has it been fixed? If not, I won't sell globally until you do - I can't afford to. Many of my sales (low cost stuff) get combined - wish you'd fix this!

by stackers_xag · Scout
stackers_xag
Scout

I'm with varebelrose and sherryberry111. I've tried Seller Hub and don't care for it. Buyers need to use the cart just the same as they would if they were shopping on a Big Box stores website. It's also more convenient for both parties, Seller & Buyer, when purchasing multiple items.

FYI Buyers: Personally, I enjoy the 6 months no payments & no interest option that PayPal offers on purchases of $99.00 or more. If you're buying multiple items that sell for a smaller price you can place them all together in your cart and pay in one lump sum using PayPal. If the total price of the combined purchase is $99.00 or more, you'll have the 6 month option. This works with items being purchased from multiple sellers as well. When paying for them individually you won't have this option. Just a heads up for those who may not be aware.

Have a Blessed Day!

chucksterstix
Rising Star

It would be nice if you would have a 'Print' button, so we could save the information we want for quick reference,

variety_nook
Thrill-Seeker

@chucksterstix in the top right corner next to the date and time you'll see 3 horizontal dots (...) this is the, Option Menu, feature. Click on that, then "Printer friendly Page". You'll be able to print the article.

Hope this helps.....

by mr_lincoln · Rockstar
mr_lincoln
Rockstar

@griffville I've read several threads where sellers want to send two packages on one order for two separate items.  The advice they have been given is to print two labels and put one of each package.  Correct me if I am wrong but that does not sound right.  That means two identical tracking numbers in the USPS system and no way for Seller to confirm BOTH packages were delivered.  Potential train wreck?  To me Combined shipping means put all items in one package and put one label on it (adjust shipping costs via an invoice back to the Buyer).

*playitagain*
Adventurer

@bfdgems If an eBay CSR disputes your entitlement to a partial refund then call back and speak with another. Refusing to issue the partial refund you are entitled to is, in my view, equal to catching an employee with their fingers in the til who then refuses to put the funds back. Being held to high standards is a 2-way street. But don't do it daily. Keep records on a spreadsheet and do it once or twice a month. A couple of years ago I had a good talk with an eBay CEO about having to phone in for my partial refunds, as I wanted to know why they adopted such a cumbersome method over the previous one that worked better. I also mentioned some CSRs were starting to give me hard time over it. The CEO answered, "something broke, and we haven't been able to fix it", and said a rep is not entitled to withhold or question your right to funds on overpayment of fees. If a rep complains there are too many my reply has been "you can always FIX the system, but until that happens do we're stuck with doing it this way". Let them escalate the broken system. That's the problem. Whether one operates a store or sells without a prepaid plan, eBay posts their rates so customers know (and agree) to their fees. There is nothing that says "we keep any overpayments". If I went to my grocers and they habitually held back the change after I gave them dollar bills I'd be looking for another. The CSRs understand the analogies, esp as it relates to theft. The priority to "fix the system" must have gotten really low as old members didn't figure out what was going on; thought they had no recourse; or thought they need to follow advice from the rare, lazy CS rep that's discourteous to the Buyer (ie, deduct it from the portion that gets refunded back to them). Maybe eBay relies on Sellers not checking their bill or has since come to see it as an extra revenue stream. Think of it this way: if eBay has 10,000 Sellers each month who routinely overpay $5-$10 on fees because of issues associated with combined shipping, how much extra do they pocket? Between $50,000 - $100,000. Each month. We know there are more than 10,000 sellers at any given time. It's not pocket change. Unclaimed partial refunds could total well over $1 million each year since that part of the system "broke". That's more than enough to pay a decent IT team to fix the problem. We can always hope eBay decides to do this honorably, before it draws the attention of a decent law firm to represent eBay Sellers who have not been justly refunded.

by mr_lincoln · Rockstar
mr_lincoln
Rockstar

@*playitagain*  So that you know, eBay published these numbers within the last year I believe ... over 25 MILLION registered selling IDs and over 165 MILLION Buying IDs ... your numbers for over-payments per month are "possibly" a fraction of reality.  Last fall when eBay confirmed they had a glitch with upgrades being selected by their system and NOT the Seller on Relisting I used a similar example for $$ ... so if just 10 cents per 25 MILLION Sellers was over-charged (or in my exmaple, upgrade fees were charged) the number would be 2.5 MILLION $$ ... even if it happened to only 1/2 the sellers the number is still over 1 MILLION per month ... just thought to mention that .................... I suspect someone will reply to this post.

variety_nook
Thrill-Seeker

@mr_lincoln, "I suspect someone will reply to this post." LOL.........Smiley Very Happy

If 1 million people would be so kind as to deposit just $0.10 each in my PayPal account, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time! You are most kind Smiley Wink

by mr_lincoln · Rockstar
mr_lincoln
Rockstar

@variety_nook, Wow, I REALLY appreciate you replying!  This thread was started by eBay on shipping, I actually posted further on that with a question but do not recall any reply from @griffville the sponsor of this post ... and yes, I would take the 0.10 errant depost from a million folks too. 

But anyway, this thread was started Jan 27 and as I look up through it no replies from the eBay OP ... maybe they just "have" to create the occsaional post as part of their job, who knows?!?

3eyedfishcatcher
Adventurer

Combined shipping is a myth. You cant take 2 items out of boxes that fit them and place both items into 1 box smaller than either item.

by vintige · Thrill-Seeker
vintige
Thrill-Seeker

It would be nice if you would have a 'Print' button, so we could save the information we want for quick reference,

Another way would be to use your browser to print it. Every browser is different, so I can't give you any exact instructions to do it Smiley Happy

thai.shop11
Pathfinder

Good to read this.Smiley Happyheart

by rockz1101 · Trailblazer
rockz1101
Trailblazer

I, too, have had issues MANY times, with random international countries, NOT being able to combine to cart, even with the box "checked". I went through hoop after hoop, to get the customer their purchases. Crazy the extra time that was spent first exploring if it was something I or the customer was doing incorrectly!

After several occurences, and my total frustration with eBay and apologizing over and over to customers, providing them detailed math costs by message and then assuring them,  I would immediately refund their PayPal accounts the postage difference, ended up being my ONLY solution. All the times, multiple phone calls to eBay, HOURS on the phone, eventually I got ONE CSR  who offered a solution, but only a workaround. I was grateful BUT this solution was and is NOT customer friendly!!

The solution:  with the listing's combine/calculate boxes "checked" and with international customers still unable to "combined to cart",  message your customer and instruct them to sign out of their international eBay site and open a new browser with the www.ebay.com (USA eBay site address) and sign in with their buyer ID.

If the immediate payment box is checked, eBay should total the items on 1 invoice and the customer is able to make 1 payment. If the immediate payment boxes are not checked, instruct the customer to "request total", seller's can adjust postage and then send the customer the invoice. Also, to further complicate the process,  I found some customers did not understand how to combined to cart nor knew to request total. 

Using the USA eBay website workaround solution WORKS! 

When I asked eBay why random international eBay websites are not programmed to interface with the combine item option, no one had an answer! 

I hope this information is helpful and I hope eBay resolves this glitch! 

millesas.ymvsd
Adventurer

Thank you so much, needed this info

Very helpful

gmclassicparts
Adventurer

LOL WORKS GOOD FOR EBAY BUT WHAT ABOUT PAYPAL'S REQUIREMENTS

To be covered by Seller Protection, the transaction will also need to meet the following requirements:

• You ship the item to the shipping address listed on the PayPal Transaction Details page

Initial Requirements

To be covered by Seller Protection, the transaction will also need to meet the following requirements:
    • You ship the item to the shipping address listed on the PayPal Transaction Details page
    • The item sold must be a physical, tangible item that can be shipped. This means intangible items such as digital goods and services aren’t covered.
    • If we request documentation or other relevant information, we ask that you respond promptly (typically within 10 business days).
    • Your permanent address (listed in your PayPal account) must be in the United States.
    Additional Requirements

For Item Not Received cases:
    • The payment must be marked “eligible” or “partially eligible” on the “Transaction Details” page.
    • You must provide online tracking to be eligible for protection.
    • Provide proof of delivery. For transactions of $750.00 or more, you need to provide signed delivery confirmation.
    • We require online tracking to confirm delivery.

2 SHIPMENTS WHICH ARE PAID FOR INDIVIDUALLY DO NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS.

plummer602
Thrill-Seeker

This is very useful information, but I think there's a lot of sellers who need more information when figuring out other aspects of Combined Shipping, when listing their items, as it is very complex when using the Calculated & Flat Shipping Rules to actually save buyers and sellers money on shipping, as in my post in the community here:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Combined-Shipping-Calculated-amp-Flat-Shipping-Rules-Save/qaq-p...

Thanks!

by rainyaz · Adventurer
rainyaz
Adventurer

Anybody know how to make a combined packing slip?

Thanks,

tami*streasures
Adventurer

What if they have not paid for the items or the shipping because they're waiting to get combined shipping amount first?   Is there a way to give them the combined shipping amount so they know what to pay? I thought if they picked out say 8 items from me, they add them to the cart and Ebay figured combined shipping? 

rainbowranchmom
Adventurer

Here's how I do it:

1. First Weigh everything including the packing

2. Go to shipping calculator

Enter the weight and the zip code of destination in calc.

The calculator will give you a figure that should include your handling fee if you have one

3. Email your buyer with that amount letting you know you are combining and sending them a total invoice.

4. Go to "awaiting payment" and then invoice them by selecting (checking all their items boxes) all their items in the "awaiting payment" window and hit "send invoice" and enter anything else you need to say then CHECK the invoice first to make sure it is correct. Then hit send - all they have to do is pay and you shouldn't lose any shipping money.

That's what I do - it seems to work easily - I have lots of combined sales cause I sell low cost items. The only issue I foresee is with the new seller hub - I haven't done a combined yet on it. It seems formidable and what a NON-improvement over good old eBay. Wish the powers behind the curtain would quit trying to fix something that seems to work well - at least, I have been able to figure out how to get eBay to do what I need.

Best wishes! heather aka rainbowranchmom

rockz1101
Trailblazer

...[the only issue I foresee is with the new seller hub - I haven't done a combined yet on it. It seems formidable and what a NON-improvement over good old eBay. Wish the powers behind the curtain would quit trying to fix something that seems to work well - at least, I have been able to figure out how to get eBay to do what I need.]...

We're not ready to flip over to the not so newish (now) Sellers Hub, AS OF YET! 

When we took a look at it, monthssssss back, this wasn't an efficient tool for us, based on our types of listings or the frequency of sales. Opting out was important and we were grateful! 

The Sellers Hub is detailed tool with charts, graphs ( 8x10 glossys-cough!), impressions, clicks, conversions , & what nots, among other things.  

Must be a very useful tool for (some) sellers with huge multiple item inventories and BRISK daily/weekly sales.

We're perfectly capable of observing what is happening with store activity without the Sellers Hub format, when sales are consistently sporadic.  

And we're now very  experienced in tweaking, changing listings and discounting prices! 

Having all (stores? or every eBay seller) into one program/format seemingly will be more efficient FOR eBay and then we will get the most efficient responsive ecommerce website and dedicated customer service ever! One can dream, eh?

Onward and cheers to progress! 

rainbowranchmom
Adventurer

Yeppers, RockZ1101.

If I don't have to pack 5 things, I know my sales are down! Doesn't take that fancy sellers hub to tell me!

Maybe they had some interns this summer and had to keep them busy. I honestly don't see why a seller such as me needs all that stuff.

Hugs and good luck, everybody!

eastlakeaxle
Adventurer

What if we dont print our labels on ebay?

rockz1101
Trailblazer

Something is odd with this message thread format.

I see No highlighed  box areas to make replies.

When I opened my notification icon, this comment screen auto loaded, without clicking  reply to any posts (recent or older).

rainbowranchmom
Adventurer

EastLake - Rising Star: re your question -   - if you don't print the labels, you have to write them. But if you DO use the labels

1. you get the benefit of eBay's paltry but existant discount on shipping,

2. you get uniformity and the tracking bar code that really DOES speed up USPS shipping time then print, pack and put it out for your carrier which

3. saves the time of driving to the post office.

There are other benefits (automatically uploads tracking number for your customer . . . ) but we have a hurricane breathing down our necks and I have a few more preparations to do so we are safe so bye for now - hope we are still here Tuesday morning!

Heather aka rainbowranchmom

*playitagain*
Adventurer

eastlakeaxle .... If you don't print labels on eBay, go into your Seller account .... find the item that is sold/shipped and click on the Down Arrow in the Actions tab (left side on new system, right side on old system is called More Actions). There's a link to add/edit tracking. Add the tracking number for the item, and Carrier name. Repeat with the same tracking number for multiple items shipped in the same package.

rainbowranchmom
Adventurer

Am taking a break from hurricane Irma prep - my mail carrier told me that she gets credit for every package she picks up from me! they keep count of her pick-ups when she scans them in! She asked me NOT to take them to the post office. I don't know if the credit yields money bonuses or works toward a raise or what but my carrier WANTS to pick up my packages - I also leave her a banana, cookies, candy or little treats frequently! She is fabulous!

Hey, guys, if I am swept away by Irma, wave to me while I float by! I am scared - this is the worst hurricane I have seen!

by oldcrow74 · Scout
oldcrow74
Scout

I'm having an increasing number of buyers report to me that they have place multiple items into their shopping cart, but there's no "Request An Invoice" button.  This seems to happen most frequently on mobile devices.  These buyers have the choice of paying the entire amount and trusting that I'll refund the excess postage, or cancel the order.  I've had several large orders canceled, including one for 18 items.  I've reported this to eBay's anchor store customer service several times, but they always brush me off, saying either that they'll report it to the developers, or that it's something that might get fixed in the future.  It's costing me business, not to mention costing eBay their fees.

rainbowranchmom
Adventurer

Yep, Old Crow - "old dog" here - I first put a note in the additional instructions right in the listings now to prevent this. Your problem is a real ankle-biter. Try to Select all the items they buy in the "awaiting payment" window and send them an invoice FIRST - that way you can apply their discount as you calculate. Or just get used to refunding on PayPal - that's what I frequently do with new buyers or auction waiting buyers that don't know how. I think after a period of time processing petty refunds, PayPal might pay attention and say something to eBay. Many of my sales are multiples so this is how I do it and don't have irritated buyers anymore. Best wishes, hugs, heather aka rainbowranchmom

by rockz1101 · Trailblazer | Updated
rockz1101
Trailblazer

@rainbowranchmom 

You're instructions to oldcrow74, look very helpful. 

But, I'm having trouble visualizing the how-to process and the screens that would appear. Your suggestions seems a perfect tutorial for  a You Tube video. I'm drawing a blank as to how to word the you tube search, too. Anyway, appreciate  your sharing a  working solution! I  issue PayPal refunds at this time, but prefer not.  

*playitagain*
Adventurer

eBay has an extremely poor track record of fixing IT issues. Here's the workaround I use for the scenario experienced by oldcrow74 (when the ONLY option the Buyer has is to pay huge shipping or cancel the order).

Ask which items they're interested in and offer to create a custom order with everything loaded to it. When doing this, I use the item they contacted me on - so when ready, they can click the Buy Now/ Make an Offer. Prep work is involved and I haven't found shortcuts.

Working Sample: Let's say a buyer expresses interest on a DVD and also wants socks and a coffee mug. The listings for the socks and coffee mug need to do one of two things: end early or be revised. I choose to revise and keep a shoe box with items available for sale that I normally don't list, for times when switching out is quickly needed.

Next, revise the DVD listing by adding the socks and mug. Change the title and category to reflect the bulk items and ADD photos and descriptions of each item. In the pricing I usually show the regular cost of all items together -- then use "Make and Offer" for their discount. It's a way to show the discount so the buyer can remember they're getting it. Then I update the shipping to include all items.

Of course, communication with the Buyer is paramount for this. First let them know that you're able and offering to do this for them; the proper shipping cost for all items together and what their special/secret discount would be under "Make an Offer". MaO can be set to decline offers - for example, decline offers under $24.99 if you want $25.00. Once the buyer agrees, set it up - swop items first (socks & mug), then revise (DVD). Use Preview Listing to check everything is as agreed to with your buyer. Then hit Update Listing. After this I send the buyer a message to let them know it's ready. They are often right there with me, refreshing the screen and have made the purchase before I've finished typing the message to let them know it's ready.

rockz1101
Trailblazer

Thanks playitagain for your workaround explanation! 

fatcatfindings
Adventurer

Just curious if anyone else has had this scenario play out.

I, too, have many small priced items that I sell and offer combined shipping discounts. However, I have in the past 2 months NOT had eBay automatically combine shipping - so no combined invoices. As a result, I've had to refund SH via PayPal and I have NOT been getting FVF refunds from eBay on the refunded amounts. I've just been eating this.

So recently out of complete frustration I've converted nearly 80% of my listings to FREE SHIPPING.  As a result, I realized I had to fold the SH into the price (and I've since decided to dump a lot of my low priced inventory as it is not worth selling this way any longer) so no matter how many items a buyer now purchases from me, they are paying FULL SH because it is folded into my price. 

The scenario I wondered about is this - when several of my items that had Free Shipping sold to a single buyer, eBay automatically combined the invoice! That same exact day I sold 3 items that still had SH fees to a single buyer and eBay did NOT automatically combine the invoice.

So I'm left to deduce that eBay is refusing to combine invoices if you charge SH fees (which is when you really would need the invoice combined) and is combining invoices when there is Free Shipping, in which case reducing SH fees is pointless since they are already 0. 

Was this just a fluke or has anyone else found that once you implement Free Shipping, suddenly the system automatically combines invoices again like it did up until a few months ago.

It's just so frustrating - I know I lost one sale this week already because the person didn't want to trust that I would refund excess SH on some heavy items I did not yet change to Free Shipping. 

THANKS!

*playitagain*
Adventurer

There are different things at play, for sure. On the same day I sold multiple items to 2 different buyers. Buyer #1 paid on one invoice, but their shipping amount added together (x4) . Buyer #2 wound up paying for each item individually. The most common situation is folks just buy their items and pay they way the system guides them to do. Those who can afford to, trust the Seller will refund any overpayment. Some have limited funds available and can't afford doing it that way (account balance, Visa cash or whatever). Or maybe the shipping amount just adds up to insane.

Free Shipping can work within the US, as domestic shipping is still affordable. Or China and some other countries in the Pacific Rim where the postal service is subsidized. But how many in the US offer Free Shipping to Canada, Europe or Down Under? Especially when the jump in rates is so dramatic after 8 ounces. I haven't seen one. It's a huge can of worms.

But getting back to the main issue by exampling Buyer #1 and Buyer #2 ... the marketplace has expanded to people buying with their mobile devices. Over 50% now. These devices all have proprietary technologies and security. We're probably experiencing how these different devises interact with eBay, as well as the different safeguards that are in place for the owner of the device. I once had the same buyer for multiple items with multiple user IDs, even though the shipping address and email addy was the same. Found out from eBay this was because the purchases were by a "guest" using a mobile device. So I explained to eBay the consequences to both buyer and seller for not attaching a dedicated ID (or generic code),  based on the email address. My outcome was I could add the same tracking number to each purchase in PayPal - but not in eBay. The system wouldn't allow the same tracking number for multiple user IDs. I was furious at their carelessness and believe that loophole actually got fixed. Also of note, not all eBay members have an "Add to Cart" option when shopping, or sometimes it's not available when crossing to another country.

Technology wise, it could be a nightmare trying to resolve so many differences. And that's why we're having different outcomes.

I also refund excess shipping (but have found times when there are no savings, example - First Class jumping to Priority [zone3] because of weight.)

As mentioned earlier - eBay has an extremely poor track record for fixing IT issues. Partial refunds used to be automatic. A few years back it was explained to me by an eBay corporate exec that "something broke" and they haven't been able to fix it. Either eBay uses the dumbest IT - or they don't care to fix it because most folks don't claim the partial refund they are justly entitled. Each year they grab million$ from us because of it. Perhaps their incentive is to keep it broke? So, anyone who has partially refunded their buyer on an overpayment from shipping must phone eBay Customer Service for their partial refund on FVF Shipping fees. It's YOUR money, not theirs. You are entitled to it.

fatcatfindings
Adventurer

Thank you PlayItAgain - I had not considered the multiple buyer interfaces with eBay and all the different permutations that would generate in their buying experiences. Certainly food for thought - although ultimately I can really do nothing about HOW they get to my item. 

I have not been demanding my FVF refund because calling them is such a time consuming hassle, and for me it's usually just pennies - but perhaps I need to consider the bigger picture. Anyone reminded of the plot to Office Space where they stole by taking the rounded pennies from transactions? Sound familiar?

rockz1101
Trailblazer

from *playitagain*

[...A few years back it was explained to me by an eBay corporate exec that "something broke" and they haven't been able to fix it. Either eBay uses the dumbest IT - or they don't care to fix it because most folks don't claim the partial refund they are justly entitled....]

I appreciate you sharing your experience and thoughts.

OMG, really?? an exec's explanation,  "something broke" and not fixable?

Did you roll your eyes or question further?

I wonder if all the execs agreed to recite that same reason to anyone who approached them about the issue.   I wish I had the working solution, I'd be a hero (with sellers).  I'm up for betting this is very likely a fixable issue, today, and maybe eventually, will be fixed and offered as a seller perk in a seasonal update! 

Until the fix, good to know you can get partial FVF refund, when partial transaction refunds are given.

I'll certainly will invest the call with Customer Service, when the transaction dollar amount warrants the phone time I will spend to ask for it.