Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bob’s Blog: 2017 Retrospective - Looking Back While Continuing to Move Forward

Share Post
Executive
Executive
Last Edited 02:07:30 PM by News Team

Bob_Kupbens1 620x400.jpg

2017 has been a big year! We set out in February on a journey together, to be a bigger, better, bolder marketplace.  We set some ambitious goals and asked you, our sellers, to make enhancements and adjustments throughout the year.  As always, we appreciate your commitment and patience as we continue to create a seamless experience for our buyers and sellers.  

As 2017 comes to a close, I’d like to take a moment to reflect on our accomplishments and remind you that your partnership and the eBay community, is what sets us apart.  

This year we focused on 3 keys areas that we knew were important to you:

1. Reach and Velocity.

In our on-going effort to be the place where the world shops first, we launched our biggest, boldest ad campaign ever. The concept, “Fill Your Cart with Color,” is a fresh approach that we broadcasted across multiple channels including cable and network TV, internet video and display, and social media. This marketing approach was a huge success, so look forward to even more in 2018!

As this fully integrated marketing campaign drove more buyers to the site, we made sure that they would want to stay – and buy. All of your hard work around structured data and the expanded eBay catalog has reshaped the customer experience for the better, as we can now deliver easier browsing, more product reviews, and pages optimized to help buyers find your listings.

We also leaned into our promotional tools to help you grow your business – we streamlined promoted listings to make it easier for you to attract buyers, added the ability to promote single-quantity listings, and delivered on co-marketing coupons.

To further enhance your sales, we launched eBay Guaranteed Delivery. We know that buyers want assurances around delivery dates, and now they can filter for listings like yours backed by a 3-day guarantee.  As we are rolling out the program in phases, we look forward to including all sellers in 2018.

2. Easier Selling.

In 2017,  we leveraged technology and data insights to give you the pricing, listing, and sourcing guidance you need to help drive your business.

Adopting eBay’s pricing guidance can significantly improve conversion and boost sales.  We’ve increased the number of listings that get recommendations and the ease of finding this guidance.  Plus, we made it easy to apply one-click changes directly from the listings tab in Seller Hub.  

We made other significant improvements to Seller Hub (like the Growth tab, downloadable content, performance improvements), helping us become a more integrated, full-service platform.

We are updating our best practice selling content throughout Seller Center (more exciting news to come on this in 2018) and relaunched our eBay Community which now attracts nearly 2 million visitors a month.

Our shipping tools got more intuitive - new location-specific shipping rate tables allow sellers to provide more accurate charges to buyers, and a new calendar tool means sellers can customize working days and same-day cut-off times to improve the accuracy of EDD calculations.  

To make bulk uploading inventory fast and efficient, we’ve developed an upgraded Merchant Integration Platform. This easy to use, selling platform allows you to efficiently manage your orders across multiple eBay sites.

3. Strong Partnership.

This year, you did some heavy lifting to help meet your buyers’ expectations. You removed active content from your listings and got your inventory in order for eBay Guaranteed Delivery.  Google made changes to security standards and you reacted by replacing HTTP with HTTPS content so buyers could continue to see your listings. Making these changes is no small feat, and we appreciate the amazing effort.

On our end, we kept you more up-to-date on in-demand inventory than ever before. To help you cash in on specific retail moments like Back to School and Holiday, we created our eBay Top Products Hub, and sent category-specific sourcing emails so you know what to list, when to list it, and how to price it for maximum profit. We also removed third-party product listing ads that take buyers off eBay, reducing external competition.

We continued our dedication to innovation in 2017,  ensuring we’re the best partner we can be for your business. We started investing in augmented reality and artificial intelligence like Find It on eBay. This exploration of new purchasing technologies is just the beginning and will form the foundation for what’s ahead of us in 2018.

But, 2017 wasn’t all work. We also took some time to celebrate with many of you at our 2nd Annual eBay Open! During those 3 days in Las Vegas, we reaffirmed our commitment to you by focusing on your growth, sharing insights and facilitating connections within our richly diverse seller community.   

Right now, during the hype of Cyber Week, we’re honoring Small Business Saturday (November 25) with a huge marketing push on our homepage. We’ve created a Hub full of fantastic deals, sourced from eBay small businesses.  So be sure to celebrate this event with us and shop like nobody else, with purpose, November 13-25.

Here’s to the future.

Thanks to you, eBay grew 9% in the last quarter and attracted 2 million buyers globally. We did it together. You used our guidance to source the right items and price them competitively. We drove traffic to your listings with more marketing, bold creative, and an enhanced onsite experience. Your returns and shipping policies exceeded buyer expectations and encouraged more sales.   This great eBay marketplace works when we all work together and we hope these results have translated to improvements to your business.

I can’t wait to share our plans for next year with you. 2018 will bring even more transparency and open dialogue about what’s working and what’s not. But before we dive into that, we’ve got holiday to conquer. Let’s focus on this massive selling moment, make the most of it, and finish as strong as we started. 

If you leave a comment on this blog, thank you for your thoughts and please know I will take all of the input back to my team for review and consideration. 

Thank you again for everything you do. Happy Holidays from our eBay family to yours!

91 Comments

If eBay does to sellers in 2018 what they did to them in 2017 - all smaller sellers who arent one of the "beloveds" are in trouble.

eBay claims at every turn that they are your partner and they HELP you ..... help small sellers do what exactly?

1. Reach and Velocity. - using the TOS to give yourself permission to NOT show a sellers listings 24/7/365 worldwide isnt any kind of velocity. Creating methods for buyers to NOT SEE a sellers listings because they wont cowtow to the machinations of people in San Jose (30 or 60 day returns, GD or any other wacky idea) ISNT velocity either. If you charge people money to list - then show their listings - its not rocket science - and it MAY EVEN boost your numbers - the ones you tell Wall Street Smiley Happy

The color your cart program was sorta cheesy, quite 1980s, and wasnt "focused" .. at all. Nice try though ... ANYTHING from eBay at this point is welcome .... I guess.

"All of your hard work around structured data and the expanded eBay catalog has reshaped the customer experience for the better". Well about that sir, 1) you "borrowed" (theres that abusing the TOS again) sellers pictures and didnt even reward them 2) the catalog is inaccurate at best and wrong most times at worst 3) you SHOULD have used icecat or itemdb - but I guess it was out of eBays budget????????

"To further enhance your sales, we launched eBay Guaranteed Delivery"  ... ok - no offense - but WHY? Beyond the fact that its just another way to segregate sellers for no reason - as I recall eBays CEO said openly - that 3/4 to 2/3 of eBays slaes were at the Priority Mail level of delivery service ALREADY - so what are you "guaranteeing" exactly? And why AGAIN does it come out of the SELLERS end?  eBay makes TONS of FVFs off a sellers shipping (money for nothing and your FVFs for free!) - so if you are SO concerned about delivery times - put some SKIN in the game and offer to shoulder the costs of upgrading 1rst class mail piece to priority, no?  For the cost of that new welcome center - you could have done LOTS of things ... why is it ALWAYS on the seller? Your competition - the one you claim you ARENT aping - yet copy 24/7 does .. why cant eBay?

"now they can filter for listings like yours backed by a 3-day guarantee" ... again - if you arent going to put some cash where your mouth is - why even be involved? who asked you? With all due respect - if you already have that many pieces/items being delivered in the proper time frame - why make this all up? 3 Day Delivery or the lack thereof ISNT why people go to Amazon over eBay - NOT AT ALL. Its all about eBays reputation - plain and simple - if you need more understanding on it all - call me - or better yet read your forums. They will certainly explain "whats wrong with eBay" and it ISNT delivery times.

2. Easier Selling. Seller Hub is too much too soon. Most people dont need all the feaures that clog up the screen and CRY OUT to go back to the old MY EBAY page. PLEASE - listen to your sellers and slim down Seller HUB. Large sellers use listing tools like spreadsheets aka feeds, and smaller sellers list one at a time - Seller Hub is a nice toy but uneeded. Oh yeh, plus the data is usually WRONG anyway ... so whats the point exactly?

"relaunched our eBay Community" .... um meet the new boss, same as the old boss. The "community" needed more then new paint. Questions are not answered in a timely fashion, eBay "blues" routinely come in and explain how the secret rules that they cant tell sellers exist but are only "applied" when someone FEELS like it.... what?

As well sir, the "crack down" by the new personel on posters who DISLIKE eBay - is getting/bordering on rediculous. If we cant tell eBay why we are angry and then demand that "our partner" step in and "put their big boy pants on" and square the situation (so that its fair) - why even have a community at all? It surely shouldnt be there to trade cooking ideas, and talking politics.

3. Strong Partnership. .... Ok - exactly HOW?  Fake SNADS, comments like "taking losses is part of business, here take one for the team", "we dont know what you shipped and we dont believe you, try and trick the buyer into "admitting" they did X, then MAYBE we can help you" ISNT a partnership is it?

And what exactly is it with eBays utter facination with returns. They dont help eBays bottom line, the dont help the seller and eBay uses it as a weapon to punish sellers - so why push it?

NO ONE on this planet needs 60 days for returns, even 30 is pushing it. Either the item you got works (14 days, 7 day) or it doesnt. Either you got what you ordered or you DIDNT - it wont change 60 days later. And, just because AMAZON does it - is rediculous as an answer. Most large companies are tightening their returns policies - why is eBay going against the tide.

YES a sane returns policy is needed - but the wholesale ignoring of eBays own rules on returns and the condition(s) of the items for return ISNT a partnership, is it?

Sadly, as with eBayOPEN - no REAL solutions are provided here. I want a parnter that helps me make MORE SALES - which is why we are all "here". We arent here to make friends, have a community, be all chummy etc - we are here for ECOMMERCE. Abusive policies are the EXACT opposite of that/those ideas.

So I ask - what money grabbing ideas will eBay do to me as a seller THIS year? Another reduction in the TRS percentage (from 10 to 5 to ?).  Will eBay reform its returns rules? Will eBay stop putting competitors ads in/around/underneith mine - WHEN I PAY FOR THE SPACE? Will eBay finally learn the TRUE value of its sellers, or will it be more of the same in 2018? (as it was in 2017).

bancheebabe
Adventurer

Well, I guess that about sums it up!  With one last question, why do programming changes always come in the 4th quarter? Why not second or third quarter when sellers have the time to make adjustments?  The start of the holiday season is not the ideal time to force wholesale change.

by abprules · Scout
abprules
Scout

Great answer above.

I would also say that we have been sellers for over 15 years. We have sold over $2 million. With that said, this last 6 months has been nothing but decline. We do everything that is asked, guaranteed delivery (although our items don't show up for 1 or 2 day, even though we offer that speed), 30 day returns, top rated seller, new items, good prices, markdowns (although every time we put on a promotion, it seems like the impressions go down). We don't do promoted listings because we have not been able to see the impressions for months (according to ebay's message on the page), so if we can't see if impressions are making a difference, we don't really want to pay for that. We have an anchor account (which doubled in price this year) with over 3000 items listed most of the time.

When we ask ebay for advice, they tell us the brands we are selling are not hot item, yet when we search, it's the brand that has the most listings. We have recorded all UPC's since the very beginning when ebay started talking about UPC's, no https in our listings, we have no duplicates, we constantly change our titles and our prices, we have no active content..What else can there be except the items are not being seen? We did a search last night to find our items (a simple Ralph Lauren Polo tie) - nope, not listed under brand Polo Ralph Lauren, not listed under brand Ralph Lauren (although it was under that brand in our item specifics.)

So..is there something else eBay could be doing..Yes, show our items, let buyers find them, quit advertising items that are not ours on our listings that we paid for, and at least, if you believe that we are missing the boat with search - then tell us what is wrong with our listings that will help buyers find it.

We are grateful for the opportunity that the ebay platform has given us over the past 12 years. And we are also a business that seems to be declining based on the way ebay is deciding to go with no real insight into what is going on.

Please contact us, ebay, or you, Bob, personally, if you can help us in any way.

Thanks  www.eBlairClothing.com

by jski · Adventurer
jski
Adventurer

As a 20 year seller of lots of different items 100% rating 2017 can only be called a Disaster. Ebay is attempting to become Ebayazon at the expense of the sellers who got them here. Their current focus  on changing whatever  is going to lead to complete disaster. Seller like myself have sold a lot and bought a lot on Ebay. Lower sales...No buying. Add to this the Social Justice Warriors at Ebay and you have the ideal recipe for disaster. Ebay takes Selling Commission, Shipping Comission and Store Commission what is left Ebay Selling Permission ? I am very sorry for for all the folks who have come to depend on Ebay to have funds to live on.

by dmva · Adventurer
dmva
Adventurer

One key area you FORGOT to focus on - site stability.

I want a site where I can actually print all the labels I expect to print.  For two weeks, I have been unable to print International labels through the Bulk Shipping Label process.  Domestic labels print ok, but not Internationals.  I can print the International labels individually after bulk-printing the domestic ones, but that's not how it's supposed to/designed to work - I get no scan form that way, which make MUCH extra work for USPS to scan them all individually.  When I call eBay on the phone to point this out, as I guide them step-by-step on what I'm doing to replicate this event, they literally watch the process fail in front of their eyes, then tell me, in no uncertain terms, there IS NO PROBLEM!!

I want a site that actually HELPS me find flaws.  Multitudes of my listings got flagged for HTTPS.  When I go to revise them, I see nothing wrong.  When I call eBay, reps tell me they see nothing wrong.  When I use i-ways to check, I see something entirely different for picture URL's - yes, I see HTTP, not HTTPS.  When informed, my 3rd-party listing service scrambled to help and found an error on their part that caused the problem, and had it fixed in hours.   If eBay TELLS me there is a problem, I should be able to find it ON eBay, not have to look elsewhere to find the problem eBay tells me exists, but then can't find.

I want a site that doesn't make unannounced changes for their "partners".  Twice in the last month, I was effectively locked out of launching anything for days on end through my 3rd-party listing service because eBay changed/broke things in the API, which caused saved listings to no longer be able to launch, because they did not meet new "requirements" as through the API.  When my 3rd-party listing service attempted to fix/overcome/circumvent new changes, it was a cumbersome process that was not easily fixed, due to their inability to figure out what had actually changed in the API.  Like, no documentation, maybe?

These three points are literally the tip of the iceberg, and only what I, as a Seller, have encountered in just the last month.  I'm sure other eBay users have many, many more instances of problems with the functioning of eBay's site.  I haven't even touched on problems I've seen as a Buyer during that time period...

by sticky_situation · Adventurer | Updated
sticky_situation
Adventurer

How about contacting sellers to  figure out solutions?

by nawlinsron2 · Guide
nawlinsron2
Guide

How about shelving site enhancement for a quarter, and instead focus on the problems and inequities pointed out in the initial response?

Let the sellers...not the Dept. heads...feel a good rush for a change.

by retrose1 · Rockstar
retrose1
Rockstar

This is what ebay did for sellers in 2017.....

Here is the hoop sellers - - - Jump sellers jump.    Jump a little higher this year and your sales will drop the same percentage as the extra height you jumped.

Same as all the years since Donahoe took over.

by a_c_green · Rockstar | Updated
a_c_green
Rockstar

@bob_kupbens, please post a short reply here to just acknowledge that you are reading the comments that people are taking the time to post. Thanks.

The one comment I would add here is that the "heavy lifting" you mention was not due to meeting buyers' expectations at all, but eBay's. The average buyer doesn't know diddly-squat about active content in listings, or Google's newfound distaste for watermarks in images. All that seller work was spurred by eBay demands, and it's rather galling for you to suggest that buyers either knew or cared about any of it.

by imadocent · Guide
imadocent
Guide

right now, about 5pm eastern 11/17/17 i'm not seeing anything about small business saturday on the home page. I see this.

20% off coupons

x box 1 x is here

iphone x is ready to ship

give something they'll remember

Nothing about small business saturday

and although the 9% growth is nice to brag about, the link you provided says that growth was compared to last years same quarter ( 3rdQ 2016 ) 

Do you proofread or check the facts you state before posting?

Community Team
Community Team

One key area you FORGOT to focus on - site stability.

I want a site where I can actually print all the labels I expect to print.  For two weeks, I have been unable to print International labels through the Bulk Shipping Label process.  Domestic labels print ok, but not Internationals.  I can print the International labels individually after bulk-printing the domestic ones, but that's not how it's supposed to/designed to work - I get no scan form that way, which make MUCH extra work for USPS to scan them all individually.  When I call eBay on the phone to point this out, as I guide them step-by-step on what I'm doing to replicate this event, they literally watch the process fail in front of their eyes, then tell me, in no uncertain terms, there IS NO PROBLEM!!

I want a site that actually HELPS me find flaws.  Multitudes of my listings got flagged for HTTPS.  When I go to revise them, I see nothing wrong.  When I call eBay, reps tell me they see nothing wrong.  When I use i-ways to check, I see something entirely different for picture URL's - yes, I see HTTP, not HTTPS.  When informed, my 3rd-party listing service scrambled to help and found an error on their part that caused the problem, and had it fixed in hours.   If eBay TELLS me there is a problem, I should be able to find it ON eBay, not have to look elsewhere to find the problem eBay tells me exists, but then can't find.

I want a site that doesn't make unannounced changes for their "partners".  Twice in the last month, I was effectively locked out of launching anything for days on end through my 3rd-party listing service because eBay changed/broke things in the API, which caused saved listings to no longer be able to launch, because they did not meet new "requirements" as through the API.  When my 3rd-party listing service attempted to fix/overcome/circumvent new changes, it was a cumbersome process that was not easily fixed, due to their inability to figure out what had actually changed in the API.  Like, no documentation, maybe?

These three points are literally the tip of the iceberg, and only what I, as a Seller, have encountered in just the last month.  I'm sure other eBay users have many, many more instances of problems with the functioning of eBay's site.  I haven't even touched on problems I've seen as a Buyer during that time period...

Hi @dmva, while we have been working on a shipping label issue this week the details are something I want to look into deeper for you. I will reach out via email shortly to ask for specific examples so I can get our tech team on this right away! I definitely understand wanting stability and consistancy when using the site and assure you, this is our goal as well. 

Regarding HTTPS, we've worked with i-ways to be a resource for you to review your listings for necessary changes. This is a part of how we ensure you are able to meet expectations that we have set.

Lastly, we work closely with third party developers and encourage you to have your third party of choice reach out to us directly if problems arise.

by nawlinsron2 · Guide
nawlinsron2
Guide

"I can’t wait to share our plans for next year with you. 2018 will bring even more transparency and open dialogue about what’s working and what’s not."

Where does the quelling of the proliferation of fake Chinese goods rank in those plans?

Community Team
Community Team

How about contacting sellers to  figure out solutions?

Hi @sticky_situation happy to let you know that we regularly gather feedback from our Community related to changes in the form of surveys, focus groups and the "Comments?" or "Tell us what you think?" links on the eBay site. If you have specific feedback in mind, feel free to share!

Community Team
Community Team

@bob_kupbens, please post a short reply here to just acknowledge that you are reading the comments that people are taking the time to post. Thanks.

The one comment I would add here is that the "heavy lifting" you mention was not due to meeting buyers' expectations at all, but eBay's. The average buyer doesn't know diddly-squat about active content in listings, or Google's newfound distaste for watermarks in images. All that seller work was spurred by eBay demands, and it's rather galling for you to suggest that buyers either knew or cared about any of it.

Hi @a_c_green, I can assure you that Bob absolutely reads the comments posted here. The insight our buyers and sellers provide is immensely valuable and something we actively welcome.

Additionally, while someone may not know about active content or search optimization, they will experience the benefits of the requirements we have put into place. Being able to quickly and easily find your item not just on the desktop but on our Mobile platform serves to meet a buyer's expectations regarding their shopping experience. We appreciate the time and energy you put into adapting to an evolving market and believe that this will not only benefit the buying experience, but drive visibility for our sellers and increased success.

Community Team
Community Team

"I can’t wait to share our plans for next year with you. 2018 will bring even more transparency and open dialogue about what’s working and what’s not."

Where does the quelling of the proliferation of fake Chinese goods rank in those plans?

We have strict guidelines in place prohibiting fake or counterfeit items. Visit our Help Page for more about this policy and steps to report concerns to us for appropriate action.

by nawlinsron2 · Guide
nawlinsron2
Guide

So...what prevents ebay from doing it's OWN police work at it's own expense?

Does your cuplability end once a fake is posted?

d-k_treasures
Rockstar

So when can us small sellers, who are supposedly part of the 'all sellers have to follow the same rules' here, put links to our own website in our listings like a nameless toy seller does?

uncle.steven
Adventurer

"To further enhance your sales, we launched eBay Guaranteed Delivery

We know that buyers want assurances around delivery dates, and now they can filter for listings like yours backed by a 3-day guarantee.  As we are rolling out the program in phases, we look forward to including all sellers in 2018."

@bob_kupbens trinton@ebay

I am in the GD program already. I have 13 sales from it so far according to seller hub stats. All of my listings were in when I used the 3 day toggle. Now today 0 listings can be found. Zero!

How does this help me increase sales if all of sudden they are not part of the program anymore. I still meet all the requirements, nothing changed on my end. 

I called CS they said there was an update. I asked him to be more specific on the update maybe something change that I need to update my listings and, they said just a standard update. No helpful information. 

Is it another glitch, did something change? Sometimes I feel like we spend more time solving problems than we do actually selling items. 

Curious on your thoughts as to why I am not seeing my listings under the 3-day guaranteed anymore.

thevioletlemon
Adventurer

While I agree that e commerce in general always changes, I do not agree with the way you are handling and manipulating the best match search, and the Cassini search engine results in general. Your site is the #1 marketplace in the World for unique, collectible, vintage, antique items. Now you market it as"80% of items on ebay are NEW", with nothing but the mass manufactured brands showing all over the front pages. It looks like Walmart. Why the major identity crisis? Isnt there enough sites where people can buy these types of items? Why forget what your site was built on? When you feature nothing but mass produced, made in China items from major brands, it completely cancels out all of those new ads youve been running. "Fill your cart with color", but come to our site and buy all your favorite Walmart brands! You have almost completely pushed out the small business seller, you know, the ones who pay for store subscriptions each month, only to discover their listings only show about 20% of the time, if that. You have the TOS so buried that no one can find it, but its there. And its showing. Year after year sales keep going down for 100's of thousands of sellers. You are not Amazon.  They have multi billion dollar contracts with UPS- thats how sellers can offer such cheap shipping.  Sellers can ship for .40 cents a POUND! YOU want sellers to guarantee 3 day shipping, but provide NO VALUE. No reduced shipping costs. No contracts in place with USPS.  Sellers will just have to absorb the cost! You dont even have a contract in place with a freight carrier so we can ship furniture!  How about embracing just how unique ebay is? Will you recognize that? Do you recognize who and what has helped make this site what it is? The small seller. Period.

Community Team
Community Team

So...what prevents ebay from doing it's OWN police work at it's own expense?

Does your cuplability end once a fake is posted?

Hi @nawlinsron2, so sorry for the confusion. Happy to clarify that we actively review the site 24 hours a day for violations like this and take appropriate action as soon as possible. If there is anything you have concerns about or feel we may have missed, the report option is available directly in the listing to notify us.

by nawlinsron2 · Guide
nawlinsron2
Guide

That is encouraging. Thank you.

I personally am not affected by Chinese junque, but the boards have constant rails about it.

Allow me to re-phrase my question...are there any plans to enhance enforcement?

A simple yes or no would be appreciated.

by colorful*things · Guide | Updated

While I do think eBay has done a few good things for sellers this year, there is a LOT of room for improvement.  

First, set up a committee of large, medium AND small sellers. Then listen to us.  You might be surprised at the changes we want and don't want.

Second, fix search.  It sucks right now.  When I'm searching with a fairly specific terminology, stop changing it and telling me what eBay *thinks* I'm looking for. All that does is annoy me and I end up buying from another site or the retailer, where I can actually find what I'm looking for.

Third, learn how to use project scheduling software and stop putting all the changes in the fourth quarter.  The one quarter the site needs to work really, really well is the one quarter that it works the worst.  Every year since I've been selling here, eBay has made major changes during the holiday season.  Not before, which would make sense as there would be time to fix things, but DURING.  My other job is tax prep.  If we tried to make procedureal and process changes in the middle of tax season, our business would crash and burn.  Our tax clients expect speed, efficiency and work delivered on time. Why should eBay be any different during its peak season?

by janw0727 · Pathfinder
janw0727
Pathfinder

Why not spin off the vast arts and collectibles and OOAK business into eBayClassic??

Give the arena that made eBay famous (and rich)... where else can you find everything from Toys to Militaria to million dollar sculptures and paintings... all of which do sell, but really can't prosper within a big data analysis of sales of wholesales new items... we get swamped off to the side... 

Why not have two platforms... eBayClassic would be unique in the world marketplace... the present eBay has a confusing image, both to buyers and sellers... you can have it both ways, if you just split up into two...

I believe most sellers in these categories would applaud such a change! Indeed, it would invigorate the listing of these items!

gramophone-georg
Rockstar

As a buyer only on eBay, I have to ask why all of your "enhancements" add steps and clicks for buyers to make a purchase? 

When is calculated shipping going to get fixed? It works 10 days out of 13.

When is the cart going to get fixed?

When is the forced IPR nonsense going to end so buyers like me who buy multiple items from the same seller can actually request combined shipping instead of being told BY EBAY that the seller "doesn't offer" it?

Along that line, when are you going to stop punishing sellers I buy from who try to fix combined shipping AFTER the fact only to still get ripped on full final shipping FVFs and likely given a defect for issuing a partial refund for this through PayPal?

When are you going to fix Search so buyers can actually find what they're searching for?

When are you going to actually DO SOMETHING about all the counterfeit and fake collectibles and auto parts? Your "report" button goes DIRECTLY to the "round file". Please stop acting like anyone on the other end of that button cares. They don't.

When are you going to fix all the CONSTANT site glitches? "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later" is something I have YET to encounter at any of your competition. It's beyond old. Really old.

When are you going to stop with the "you're trying to take this transaction off eBay" nonsense, and the other things that make sellers fearful and reluctant to answer buyers' questions?

When are you going to fix the "USA Location" search filter so it's really USA stuff? All the sellers in categories like electronics are STILL registered in China. We all know why these supposed "warehouses in USA" exist- so you can justify forcing China junk down our throats when we are trying to avoid buying it. The "item location" being in USA is a smokescreen. In over half the instances the stuff comes e-packet from China anyways. 

When are you going to stop spamming buyer's inboxes with notices of when we browsed, watched, placed a bid, placed a bid but it's almost over, won, it's really really close so bid again,  didn't win... none of your competition does this. 

Why on EARTH did you add clicks to feedback, too?

When will you start listening to your customers? Not these ridiculous "surveys" and "tell us what you think" where you lead the responder by the nose to what you want to hear or "tell us what you think" when you've already decided what you want to do anyways.

eBay- you're way out of touch, and you're too arrogant to know or care.

by nawlinsron2 · Guide
nawlinsron2
Guide

"At eBay, our mission is to provide a global online marketplace where practically anyone can trade practically anything, enabling economic opportunity around the world.”

Since fakes are NOT specifically excluded, they are by inference included.

Thank you.

cyberontix
Trailblazer

I'm with the other posters who are really despondent over having so much Chinese knockoff trash in US core. But what really worries me is the look of these marketing campaigns. The daily emails with feel-good fluff, the ambivalent slogans -- the only thing it resembles is K-Mart 's Rewards approach. Slow down on the emails at least, please.

Oh, and fix Search of course. It's inexcusable that Cassini's AI still can't return a requested elephant from a pile of unrequested soda bottles.

by hioctane62 · Guide
hioctane62
Guide

The prohibition of communication between buyer and seller pre-sale is bringing on more problems for sellers. Increased returns due to buyers not being able to ask for info without jumping through hoops, then if they do, getting a threatening message from ebay about taking transactions off ebay. Way to build trust with OUR customers.

You've taken away the "ask seller a question" in listings. I've recently had a buyer send me a private message here in the community asking me a question about an item because they couldn't figure out how else to contact me.

Remember Donahoe's "Disruptive Innovation" statement? It hasn't stopped since he said it, and ebay is about to "innovate" itself to death.

by *ladybug1* · Adventurer
*ladybug1*
Adventurer

After reviewing ALOT of comments on here,  I look at my own circumstances and my not getting sales for the past 6-8 months like i once did,  this year has been the worst year in the entire time I have been selling/buying on Ebay;  I have been selling since back in the 90's.   I am totally convinced that my items that I am selling are NOT being seen for public view for purchase;  and I am paying Ebay for a store/selling slot that I am not getting my money's worth because of this !   I am also getting others ad's shown in MY store slot that ( I ) am paying for when they offer for my potential buyers to purchase from another seller at a lower amount.   I used to really enjoy selling on Ebay and now it makes me wonder what they will do next to keep taking from ME with NO return !   

by imadocent · Guide
imadocent
Guide

As an addendum to my previous post above...

IT is now about 11:45 am eastern 11/18 and I see your Small Business Saturday ad  being shown on the Community HomePage.  Sorry if I didn't understand your homepage definition. IT is possible the ad was running on the Community homepage yesterday afternoon, I tend to jump past those moving ads on that page.  I do look at the ones on the ebay homepage though.

I'm no marketing genius, but wouldn't this help Small Business's more if this was shown on the ebay homepage? and maybe if IT was shown sooner than 8-9 days before that day?

Smiley Wink 

by dbmm-media · Guide
dbmm-media
Guide

when will the ceo and his jabronies start being honest? 

The most galling of all is the lunacy of the double standard that eBay states - and expects sellers to just "take it".

eBay would like sellers to provide 60 dayson returns - but wont give YOU 60 days to pay your bills.

eBay wants YOU to ONLY use Paypal, but still has them in their pocket - since YOU as the seller pay Paypal the merchant processing fee, but Paypal ignores YOU and only listens to eBay.

eBay will trun VERO on you in seconds (and not even look at the complaint)(when most of them are fake takedowns) yet its ok to write yourself an update in the TOS to take sellers pictures at will

eBay takes a seller to task for making off eBay sales (the bots have gone wild I hear) but will put sponsored listings and other sellers listings in and around YOUR listing.

eBay expects that YOU listen to every word they say and abide by each rule - but when a return happens - they dont beleive YOU at all . "Well we dont know what YOU SENT (aka you are a liar) so therefore we cant help you". Either you believe us or you dont. You want us to listent to you and abide by your rules - whats the issue with a little good faith in return?

As my partner I expect eBay to have MY interests (since I pay them) as PRIORITY one, yet they dont - why?

eBay even charges people to come to eBay Open - "dude - CES is free, NY NOW is free, SEMA is free, NY TOY FAIR is free" why charge your sellers? makes zero sense. Its not like you don thave 5+ billion sitting offshore - you do ... is the million gonna hurt you?

eBay needs MAJOR reformation if its ever going to be more then it is now.

*ladybug1*
Adventurer

Is all this that's going on LEGAL ????

Does Ebay have any plans with letting users use Bitcoin as a purchasing method in the future? It would help them stand out from Amazon for sure

karthok.of.daolodus
Thrill-Seeker

I do agree with a split between eBay collectible/reseller market and eBay's new market.  The collectible/resale market cannot be forced into the new catalog structure, nor are the sales circumstances the same as selling NWT or NIB widgets. It's a different ballgame, with the only commonalities being good customer service and honest dealing, which should be a given, anyway.  As it stands now, ebay is sending a confusing message trying to trumpet that 80% of the items here are "new and untouched" when it really doesn't have that rep, and it has been long since superceded by Amazon, anyway - IAC, you can get the same stuff pretty much anywhere - yet more cell phones, yes yet more new designer widgets - people purchase a lot of that on sites known for it, and they aren't eBay. Meanwhile basically ignoring the market that eBay really is known for - the huge and rapidly growing resale market.

A seller's store need not be split into those areas either - those who sell a mixture of pre-owned/collectible and new items would still sell from the same store, it's just that the pre-owned would be also shown on eBay Classic (say if you wanted to call it that).  The seller would continue to set their parameters for their individual items just as they always have, but would not be forced into the catalog model that doesn't work and a search that drowns them.

Etsy recently did similar with supplies, so that the supplies I sell in my shop there show in my shop, but also show in an ancillary area that's devoted to supplies/DYI only.  I just list them once in my shop, pay for them once, but the supplies area winnows out all the supplies in our various shops, making an easy, quick search for that very large market.  

The resale market is huge and growing, and eBay could be the biggest online game in town with a break-out site, with major auction houses on board, advertising incredible collectibles, art, vintage, autographs, etc., individual sellers featured, etc., its own forum and the like.  There's a lot of market to capture.  Why is this being so badly neglected? I really like eBay and hate the lack of innovation and focus I'm seeing here, while Amazon and Walmart race ahead because they've got a real direction, while eBay falls further behind.  It's like watching someone just throw bags of money down a well. 

Now's the time because this market is hot. 

kansasperf
Trailblazer

Ebay Has Ruined what was once a great place to sell. Been selling since 1998. We are Done with Ebay.

*ladybug1*
Adventurer

There NEEDS to be a new and better place for SELLERS to go and sell online where they are appreciated for what they do for the  company,  no matter how big or small a seller they are!  EBAY  ONCE was a place like that, until they got to where they are now and feel they don't need the little guys anymore...  Hopefully someone will come along SOON and fulfill that and hopefully EBAY will feel the crunch of ANOTHER hurting them as they do their SELLERS.... I totally believe in KARMA !

woodyoucraft
Adventurer

@bob_kupbens wrote:

To further enhance your sales, we launched eBay Guaranteed Delivery. We know that buyers want assurances around delivery dates, and now they can filter for listings like yours backed by a 3-day guarantee.  As we are rolling out the program in phases, we look forward to including all sellers in 2018.

I can't complain about new initiatives, this is eBay's perogative, but when I bend over backwards to conform my business model to eBay's new approach and then I'm not included in that approach... this is frustrating.

I imagine guaranteed delivery would increase my sales, as fast shipping speed is what I see come up most often in my feedback. Unfortunately, despite opting in from day one, 0% defects, 0% late shipment rate, same-day handling time, 60-day FREE Returns, I do not have access to guaranteed delivery. As the sales of my most popular products plummetted, I was surprised to find that my listings are being filtered out and in their place are sellers who ship slower, yet have access to guaranteed delivery. My competition gets a "guaranteed delivery by..." next to their listing, while my listing, which would arrive sooner, doesn't even show an estimated delivery date like it used to.

I'm willing to jump through hoops... that's the cost of doing business. I simply wish to have equal access to eBay's new features that my competitors have. I pay the same fees, it seems only fair that I should be able to utilize the same features.

by zzyzx000 · Adventurer
zzyzx000
Adventurer

I think eBay should have higher minimum pricing. Here's the problem on used stuff: A great seller will list stuff without defects with great pictures and accurate descriptions. They will research pricing and list it for less than Amazon and elsewhere, yet still make it profitable.

The problem is, ebay allows and encourages anybody to come along and list the same item at auction for peanuts. It may not have defects or it may be junk; much of the time the pix are bad and the description are non-existant.

The result is, the auction sells for minimum bid;  the seller gets discouraged at selling and quits; many times the buyer gets junk, quits buying, and tells all his friends what a rip off ebay is; a new seller comes along to repeat the process; and the seller with great stuff at low but realistic prices gets little or no action.

by nawlinsron2 · Guide
nawlinsron2
Guide

ebay went south after it went corporate.

Don't expect any seller friendly changes until the stock goes south.

by vintagecraze50 · Guide

First, thank you for all the advertising you did this year. I am sure it cost Ebay a lot and it was much appreciated. Second, thank you for removing all the third party adds and upping your advertising all over the internet. When I go to various sites, I see Ebay's adds pop up a lot. HTTPS adjustments were absolutely necessary for buyer and seller safety and visability. Thanks for the extra email monitoring to get these scammmers from sending  fake payment info via sending their email address etc, however, please try to fix it when these messages still come through to the seller and the seller ends up getting warnings just opening the email. Try to program the system so that when a buyer or seller initiates and bogus message with an email or personal info to sell or buy off Ebay that these messages get BLOCKED somehow. Thanks for continuing to improve the site. Happy Holidays to everyone and wishing all a blessed and profitable season.

by etnshopper · Adventurer
etnshopper
Adventurer

I don't like eBay showing others listings when a potential buyer is looking at my listing. Ebay has been my selling platform for over 10 years and has supplemented my Social Security but sales have taken a dive and it costs me more to sell and ship.  I ask that you please help the smaller sellers.  

by ukelaine · Adventurer
ukelaine
Adventurer

As a Long time Seller 1997, I have watched over the years how the ORIGINAL concept of Ebay has been taken, twisted, stretched, torn, trodden over, ripped apart and then patched back together with the outcome of the powers that be saying NOW EBAY IS BETTER !

BUT, it is not, it is so far away from what made EBAY GREAT !

SEPERATE Ebay, like another poster suggested, let's have the EBAY CLASSIC how it was and what millions fell in love with and then also have your "Ebay who wants to be Amazon" for those who feel the old days are dead and gone.

Pierre I think would LOVE to see the outcome of the battle of Ebay Past and Present, sort of like an "EBAY CHRISTMAS CAROL" 

serious_coder
Thrill-Seeker

To @janw2707 and @karthok.of.daolodus · Thrill-Seeker :

eBay once tried splitting the sale of new goods apart from the classic eBay site. It was called eBay Express ("Get It New! Get It Fast!") and was introduced in 2006.

However, they made such a dog's breakfast of the implementation -- "eBay Express" mirrored the whole eBay site, new goods, resale, collectible, whatever -- that it only lasted for two years. After that, somebody in eBay management must have decided that the 'secret sauce' is in the eBay.com name, so they didn't dare spin off another new site, but made all changes in eBay.com instead. Which is why the place has been like a construction site ever since.

by div_style · Trailblazer
div_style
Trailblazer

As above, bulk shipping of international labels does not work, only 1-at-a-time.

Why ask to see our experience with this?  Try it yourself and see that it does not work.

toyswithapast
Adventurer

I have approx 2600 listings and have been here since close to the beginning. I remeber the days when you had eBay stores, but didn't put the contents of the stores in the general search. Then you opened it up and everything was seen. That was a huge turning point for my business. I still remember the huge surge in business I experienced. Now, unfortunately, you have gone backwards in your thinking. Now, instead of "hiding" the store items, you are "hiding" the older items. You have to understand that for a single seller, it takes time to BUILD their business. I offer a quality selection and have good steady sales for the most part but I can only list so many items a week. So as I sell items, I add to my inventory by a small margin every month. The items that I offer may not find its buyer for a year or more, and as my items age, I do reduce the price, add Best Offer and run monthly sales.  At some point in that year, eBay starts supressing views of my items, and I know this because I recently started copying older listings to make them appear "new" again and every time I do that, those items sell. That is a time-consuming thing to do and I don't think I should have to do it. That which has been said in several of these postings, I am paying for my items to be seen by everybody, so I would like them to be seen by everybody. I am 100% sure that my business would surge again, like it did back in the good old days when you put the stores in the general search.  I have other issues with how things are running these days, but that is the one I feel would make me the happiest if you would implement.

by lupo-store · Adventurer
lupo-store
Adventurer

I am a large UK seller. I have been selling on eBay since 2000 and have 314k feedback. This year the following happened to me:

With the introduction of concierge (based in Ireland) I have a dedicated team of experts trying to help me grow my business. With the introduction of product reviews I have been able to double sales against even cheaper items and most of my 110 listings have been at the very top of best match all year with me starting to expand lines after 2 very lean years fighting against Chinese VAT evaders.

in early September eBay lost circa 1000 reviews from 55 of my best selling listings through their grouping of items for grouped search. These are my own brand of products but the problem was caused by other sellers using my product identifiers incorrectly for unrelated products to hijack my reviews. It confused the Structured Data and they were lost.

that has caused me about £25,000 GBP loss in sales. I have loads of stock still sitting there because without the reviews I do not stick out. After 2 months 39 listings have their reviews back.

This has nearly killed my business. I have requested a site visit from eBay UK VP (Rob Hattrell) as I am seeking answers. The structured data team are based in Israel and have not been answering emails from concierge.

without the reviews for me and other sellers search reverted back 18 months to cheapest at top so I have saved eBay millions because they were gaining less in FVF’s.

if these last reviews could be back that would be great.

also eBay need to remove all vat evaders. Duplicates are still rife and Chinese abusing active content. eBay needs to get tough on the element of sellers who will not evolve with eBay 

by jhonybarba · Adventurer
jhonybarba
Adventurer

Thank you for your message, Mr. Kupbens!   

I have been eBaying since 2004, and while things are not the same, they have certainly improved.   I remember paying 95 cents for a 7-day listing that might not sell, and having to pay extra for pictures.  You have ambitions and plans to make eBay better for sellers, and I appreciate that!   Yes, our list of "awful" is long enough, but I prefer to look towards the hope you invision for all sellers.  Please be blessed as you move towards a better eBay experience for everyone!   Welcome, and thank you.   

by 1456716 · Adventurer
Adventurer

I HAVE BEEN READNG MANY OF THE POSTINGS THE LAST FEW HOURS AND AS A REALTIVLY NEW SELLER (ONLY 4 YEARS) I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THOSE SMALL SELLERS LIKE MYSELF WHO SELLS IN THE COLLECTABLE WORLD SINGLE ITEMS AT AUCTION. 

MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT IS WHEN EBAY CUT THE TOP PLUS SELLER DISCOUNT IN HALF. THE 20 PERCENT DISCOUNT I DEPENDED ON EACH MONTH IS NOW ONLY TEN PERCENT.

THAT MEANS EBAY TOOK ONE HUNDRED TO TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH OUT OF MY

INCOME AS MY SALES HAVE INCREASED. I'M A RETIRED DISABLED VET AND THAT HURTS. I HAVE GROWN TO DEPEND ON EBAY FOR THE INCOME IT PROVIDES AND CHANGE IS NECESSARY BUT NEEDS SELLER INPUT TO BE FAIR TO EVERYONE.

by chapeau-noir · Guide
chapeau-noir
Guide

@serious_coder

It seems impossible to quote on this Fisher-Price interface, so I hope this pings you, but I myself do remember eBay Express, and they did make a 'dog's breakfast' out of it - it was poorly implemented - launched and then just left to languish without any real focus or direction. It seemed that the people involved really didn't know what they were going to do with it once they'd introduced it.  That was another time, though, generations ago in the evolution of ecommerce, these are new times and I think call for new innovations.

I will say this - the online resale market is booming and starting to fragment - now is the time if eBay wants to capture it, lasso it, add cohesion and start steering it. People are buying pre-owned like never before, the ethic of thrift and reusing is really surging.  One big chance, and it'll be gone - we know how fast things are moving in etailing's evolution.

by chapeau-noir · Guide
chapeau-noir
Guide

Oh, hah! I figured out the tagging lol. 

I've sold here for a long time and have always been such an eBay cheerleader, and it would be nice to have something to cheer about over here in the reseller corner - though I do cheer over the shipping supplies allowance, I will say that.  I never knew how many eBay sellers lived in my neighbourhood until I saw all of those colourful envelopes and taped boxes piling up in the pre-paid trolley at the local post office lol.  I thought that was an innovative advertising idea - all of those boxes and bags going all over reminding people that eBay is here.