cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"FREE" upgrade approx. $700.00!!! This is very shocking !

As instructed, I cancelled the 30 day free upgrade to an anchor store.  When I changed the level back to the premium store which I already had, eBay immediately sent me an invoice for not only my regular monthly fee but also a cancellation fee for a total of approx. $750.00!!! This is very shocking as I took great pains to follow the instructions to the tee!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When you signed up for the Free Trial did you click "monthly" or subscribe for the full year. If the latter that's probably why you were billed as there's a discount for annual subscription but a penalty is charged for early cancellation. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

With site traffic at about 40% of what it was at this time last year I'd personally like to see eBay eliminate the up front fees and take a higher percentage on the items that actually sell.  It works for other online venues and it definitely increases profitability. When you have thousands of items in your store that nickel per item per month really adds up. I did the math and after factoring in the up front fees on eBay they wind up taking about 28-30% of my total sales gross, whereas the other venue only winds up being about 22-24%. When selling in volume that 6% difference is huge. I wound up removing over 10,000 items from my store in the last few months to compensate for this. Quite a few of those probably would have sold, but with no guarantee and the nickels adding up it just didn't make sense to keep them on the site. So it winds up being lost revenue for eBay and a higher profit margin for me on the other venue. 
     I know I'm not the only one that's "downsizing" their store. The other negative impact for eBay on this is the lack of variety due to the up front fees. What separated eBay from the rest was the wide variety of items (many of which could only be found here).  For a collector or consumer variety is a huge factor when determining where to spend their money. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I have been somewhat concerned for awhile about reduced variety on ebay. It really appeared to me last year the more changes they made to appear more like amazon the greater the reduction in variety overall.
I think its foolish for them to take a "mimic amazon" approach, the variety and ability to find smaller pieces or parts to things sets ebay apart uniquely.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I agree but there's an even larger problem with this way of thinking. The problem lies in the fact that eBay's search engine is selective in what it shows in the results. This means more often than not the buyers search will not yield anything that is matching their searches, since eBay selects those sellers they are promoting, they tend to miss the search entirely. Or they will list them way at the end. This will cost every seller to loose sales since the buyers will just give up and search for the items at Amazon where they will have the best matched items show on the top of the list. I know I have been so frustrated with this search engine that I will just use Google to find my items that I'm looking for here on eBay. 9 out of 10 times I get some results that won't even show in eBay's search engine. This is how we all loose sales, plain and simple if the buyers cannot find those certain collectibles or special items they will not be returning to look again. Wasting peoples time by showing items that don't even come close to the search is not a good way of making money. Frustration has never made a buyer buy an unrelated item just because it's displayed in the list, especially when they know that the item is being sold here but eBay simply won't let them see it. There needs to be a search that shows all exact matches listed first no matter how bad the seller ranks, this means in all exact matches best sellers are on top then declining on the bottom, after that then they can list anything they want to push onto searching buyers.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I completely concur Zinda, there is simply no rational business argument for a search engine that buries EXACT MATCHES. I get their arguments as far as providing buyers with reputable sellers first, but you simply are not serving the buyer the best way possible if the exact item they are looking for is hidden from view. I would absolutely relish the opportunity to debate this with ebay management, having been on corporate management levels myself. There is simply no argument to be made, business logic or otherwise, for that approach that I could not easily and effectively render inert in a business discussion. Its not thr first corporate approach Ive seen completely devoid of merit in pursuing and certainly wont be the last unfortunately, thats the business world. It remains a huge black eye on ebay in my personal view of the company but realistically speaking its not going to truly hurt them taking this approach.
I can easily make an effective argument they are leaving money on the table operating in that manner however they have established their operation so securely at this juncture it would take nearly impossible blunders and competition to take them down and I wish people were a little more grounded in that reality when posting to forums. Google could start returning results in crayon and would remain secure in their position as a search engine vs competitors and ebay is the same way.
Thats not to say these types of approaches wont hurt them, I think these behaviors have demonstrably shown to impede ebays ability to reach internal sales projections and growth for multiple quarters. Ebays refusal to acknowledge that and blame softer sales on other factors does them no good moving gorward either. Its not enough to take the company down though, despite the delusioned and uniform posts to the contrary. Management will undoubtedly continue to face disappointments meeting their projections and growth goals while operating in that manner, but thats realistically the only end result from it.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

It never occured to me to google search what i want to buy to avoid that issue, great tip !!
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I have no absolute proof of what I'm saying is 100% accurate but I'm willing to bet everything I have that if this search engine showed results in a manner that displayed the exact matches first there would be a tremendous increase in sales that could be seen in mere minutes from the point of the change. It wouldn't take a quarter to see the increase just minutes will show how effective this fair,easy and overdue change is.

I pay to list my items here but I'm not being represented by eBay for my payments as I agreed to be. Blocking my listings from showing up in their number 1 selling tool and is the backbone of all sales here is a default of contract in my eyes. If I hid my payments from them what do you think they'd say I was doing? Think they'd say I was defaulting on my agreement to make payment for services? (Or lack of services in agreement)
Message 8 of 8
latest reply