cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is pushing sellers away!!!!

I have been a seller for 5 years! I had 100% positive feedback and was a top seller until 3 months ago actually it happened not long after eBay new rules. eBay does not protect sellers at all anymore! Customers can b unreasonable and no matter what they side with them! I sell high end items and prove authenticity and still they remove listings stating authenticity questionable then they suspend u for a month. In. 5 years I've never had a customer state I sold them a fake. eBay is driving me crazy and I so wish there was a comparable site. I tried a few other sites but the fact is there isn't nearly as much traffic on the other sites. I feel like I'm up against a wall. I can no longer stand eBay yet if I want to make some extra cash I have no choice. Also the fees r so rediculous. You would think with how much u pay in fees they would treat their sellers with respect and offer protection and support but they treat u like they r slumlords! They kick u out over putting one wrong letter in a title or for no error just their opinion that has nothing to support what they r accusing u of and they charge u rediculous fees and don't protect u from bad intent buyers.... Please somebody come up with a great selling site so I never have to use eBay again! I would actually b happy to pay fora site that at least supports and protects their sellers! I hope their becomes a class action suit against eBay and we get justice and they get put out of business ! It won't happen but I can still dream .... So angry right now but glad that I vented!
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

While I disagree with you on fees, which I think are very low for the amount of views and ease of use, I do agree that eBay is not a particularly good place for sellers of high end items.

I find that over my seven accounts, I consistently sell best in the $10-$100 range, while on our own website and on specialty hobby sites, we can easily sell item in the multiple thousands.

If eBay has been trying to get out of the garage sale mentality, they have failed, in my experience.And the influx of cheap tawdry Asian merchandise has lowered the value of the site for high end sellers.

You may find that specialty hobby sites are more useful for your items. While the number of buyers is smaller, they are more sophisticated. And the sites try to keep the users honest- buyer and seller. At least the ones I use, like the American Philatelic Society's site.

You may also like the 'scarlet street', which has moved upscale from when I was using it some five years ago. They do a good job of keeping their site in the customer's eye too with frequent educational emails that showcase sellers, not bargains.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I hear from other sellers that there are books and now videos on YouTube on how to scam eBay sellers and how to get free money from sellers by USING eBays new defect system to their advantage!  Unfrigginbelievable!!!  Seems like there's a lot more of this going on today than 2 or 3 years ago.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I will be one the first ones to totally agree with this! I do think they are pushing sellers away.

The fees are actually very cheap compared to the overhead you could have otherwise. I think the micro managing of our accounts is one the biggest complaint I have. I have been selling here since 1999 and have always been Top rated or whatever rating system they had over the years with 100% Feedback I work hard at maintaining this standing and it seems the harder we work the more eBay just kicks us to the curb, per say. Take for instance this whole defect rate. I got scammed by a buyer in Isreal she sent me back the items she said were wrong but were actually what she ordered, she sent them back used! She requested for free items along with having her money re-funded and if she could keep everything all because she said She deserves it for the inconvience of me sending her wrong items. Now I honestly did think Ebay would have my side through this which is why I told her to open a case when she was demanding me to send her free stuff whicj clearly violates eBay extortion policy. I called them and had a great rep who took control of the case, told me I could request to speak to her anytime until this case was closed out. 1. I never got to talk to her again eBay refused to allow me to speak with her. 2. This rep did a force return, the buyer had to return everything for any money to be refunded. 3. Not only did she write her up for extortion but for buyers remorse as well since she said she just "didn't want" the items anymore. 4. I got everything shipped back to me in used condition. So I call them not worried about the items, it's the cost of doing business sometimes, like thieves ripping you off in a real store. I was concerned about one thing My defect rate and you know I got 2 defects for this transaction! Why? Oh because this is what ebay calls the 2% buffer..for instances like this! They would not remove the defects and told me to consider them in the buffer that we are allowed! I said Whoaaaa are you serious? I got 2 defects for a scammer that is not fair at all! I think I should have been able to use that buffer for a real mistake either caused by me or by the PO! 

And how about defects for returns! Really? Another thing it's our fault if the customer just wants to return for wrong size! They want to make this place like "reality"  like having an in real life store. This can't be possible! They are going to lose so many sellers if they keep this up! They dont take anything into consideration on our side! They whole "The customer is always right" motto if fine but let us handle our own customers! Ebay needs to quit micro-managing and punishing us for no fault situations. 

Then what really furiates me is 3 years ago they shut me down! No warning or anything for using Gymboree Stock photos for my items! I even got a letter from an attorney in the VERO program warning me of the stock photos being used and if I did it again they will take legal action! Again....Whoaaaa to this day there are so many sellers using Gymboree stock photos is crazy insane! One seller has over 12,500 variation listings using all these stock photos and is still up and running! Not fair by a long shot for the people that have been shut down for it! They can offer cheap prices under cutting my prices along with several other sellers who have been shut down and now are using their own pics! They can afford to do this since they are not paying overhead in labor to get all their pictures taken, uploaded, edited, and then uploading them to the site! Their is no fairness across the board here at all!! I have sent letters, emails and have called several times over the past 3 years with no luck! I have even contacted the attorney who sent my letter. Everyone says "we are investigating this!" 

So these are just a few things that are just frustrating and I am on the down slide as well! As soon as this inventory is gone I am hanging my eBay hat up and I am sure there will be many others right behind me! It's sad this use to be fun but it's not anymore. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Those instructions, or rumours of those instructions, have been around since I started selling here during the 20th century.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

SO TRUE  BRO       I have been on ebay for 10 years now and the last 2 have been a horror . the buyer protection program is a scam at best it never seems to apply for some reason even when i recieved a bad title on a veh they just said too bad . i sold a denon reciever   the customer was not happy so i gave a refund and never got it back so the guy has a top end denon and his money back  and ebay did nothing !!!!! the charges are out of control for sellers . i dont sell on ebay anymore unless i have to . if it ever changes maybe i will sell again but for now its not worth it

Message 6 of 6
latest reply