cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer remorse

I have decided to sell most items as is or broken, but mentioning enough  information on items so as not to discourage a buyer. To many buyers are   claiming problems where  there are none.Those are primarily from overseas buyers.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

buyer remorse

Double check your numbers before you do anything.

You have 3 negs in the past year, two from the same customer out of 170 FB.

Since settled NAD claims don't allow feedback, we can't see those. And while 98,8 is not fabulous it is good.

So two unhappy customers out of 170? Not terrible in a high testosterone field like cameras.

I have some suggestions.

1) Don't sell overseas. If you are losing more on such sales than you are making, just forget them and stick to North America. (Not USA because I'm Canadian and don't want my countrymen unable to buy in the States. ) Just Block every other country in your Seller Preferences.

2) If you can't resist selling overseas, sign up for the Global Shipping Program. This protects sellers of high value goods against unwarranted claims and negative feedback in many situations. (To others reading this. A $5 trinket is NOT  suitable for the GSP . High Value would be items over $50 -eBay's suggestion- or $100 - my suggestion.)

3) Your titles are abysmal. You have 80 keystrokes free, gratis, for nothing, to advertise your product. 'film camera' is just embarrassing. You should be adding the maker model, and what addons are included.

For example your first 'film camera' could be described as "Leica film camera Taylor-Hobkins  Leitz Xenon 1:1.5 lens +++' .You know this so tell the world. Especially on a $500 item. You have more words on a $2 item's title.

4) Grammar is not important in titles, but both grammar and spelling are important in the description. (Is it HoBkins or the more common HoPkins?)

If your listing is too short, ungrammatical and/or badly spelled, the reader will think you are ignorant, possibly stupid, and certainly an easy mark.

If you have difficulty with writing, ask a friend or colleague to help you. Pay her if necessary. It would be money well spent.

5) Never complain in your listing. Your customer should feel that you have explained what she is getting and that you have only the greatest respect for your clients. She should believe that the transaction will be smooth and if there are any problems that you will promptly handle them.

6) but mentioning enough  information on items so as not to discourage a buyer  -- Well, frankly, that would be a start.

Here is your description of that 'film camera' Leica camera with a taylor-hobkins  leitz xenon 1:1.5 lens plus assorted items. selling as is due to issues with international  buyers. serial # 219806 camera has interesting history provided to buyer.

Eighteen words about the camera. No description of what those 'assorted items' might be. Fifteen complaining or hinting at a bonus story.

One picture.

Tell the story.

Forget the complaints.

Picture each item the customer will get individually as well as together. You have a camera to do this with and you get 12 free pictures to show your customer. Use them.

Describe as if you had no picture. Picture as if you had no words.

Make the customer believe you are an expert.

7) Speaking of Seller Preferences, you can set up an automatic Block on bidders who already have Strikes for Unpaid Items or violations. Use them.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

buyer remorse

it's not complicated to sell overseas.

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

buyer remorse

You're right. Over 10% of my sales are to overseas customers, and about 90% are to foreign customers. (Since I'm Canadian, most of those are in the USA.)

If your products are valued over* $50 or better, over $100, sign up for the Global Shipping Program and end worries about claims of non-reciept and complaints about foreign customs and duties.

And don't sell damaged or 'as is' items outside the USA. The costs of return for refund are too high and your customer (who didn't read, because Buyers Don't Read) will be furious.

*Under $50 and the import fees will dwarf the value of the item. To begin with, the GSP charges your customer $5 that you never see just to decide if duty and tax are applicable. The buyer will blame you.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply