cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair ebay automatic refund practice + final fees

An item I had listed was purchsed by someone and paid for. I shipped the item on time and a couple of days later ebay sent a message to me that the buyer wanted to return an item because 'it was purchased in error'. The return was automatically(!) approved by ebay and a return period of, I think 10 days was given.

About 2 weeks later the item was still showing as not being shipped, so I called ebay, opened the case and it was apporved in my favor. So, I have my money minus ebay fees.

Yesterday suddenly the returned item arrives, ebay automatically(!) issued a refund to the buyer (the message from ebay said 'the description does not match the item purchsed' - a completely bogus statement, btw)  and charged me another fee for doing the refund on my behalf! So, now I have the item back and an amount due to ebay, which is ~10% of the original listing price.

Called ebay, spoke to the appeal department and they cliamed that they cannot do anything!!! They also claimed that the item was shipped on time according to their information, which means that ebay sees different information than the sellers.

What a scam!!!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I think you need a better timeline than "about two weeks " and "yesterday".

Many members (including sellers like myself) do not use tracking. I'm not surprised that a buyer would not realize its importance. Or the importance of recording the shipping date.

What day did eBay issue its decision, that the buyer should return for refund?

What was the last date for shipping?

Does that date mark the postmark? (If any)

As a seller you should be aware that shipments once out of our hands are not in our control. Which is one reason we do use tracking.

That the "not as described"  should have been "buyer remorse " is all too common.

an amount due to ebay, which is ~10% of the original listing price.

Since you were credited with the original payment, and this appears to be a separate charge, I wonder if you originally refused the return in a SNAD case, and eBay purchased the return shipping label on your behalf and is now charging you for that.

You can refuse returns, but you are required to pay refunds.

Your agreement with EBay and Paypal policies overides your own preferences.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I had exactly the same experience. Those eBay customer people don't use their brain at all. They took anything said by buyers at 100% face value. I spent a lot of time talking to ebay customer support about this, but without any result. All of them defended their absurb practice religiously.

Therefore, I've decided to give up on eBay and pull off all my listings. Think of this: why should I (or you) conduct a business that will punish you and make you lose money.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply