cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Open

Am contemplating going to the eBay open; can anyone who has attended tell me if they truly felt like it helped them enough to make it worthwhile from a financial perspective as registration airfare and room/board will probably run me $1200 or so not to even begin to mention all of the lost sales I would incur in that period.   

One thing that I'm curious about is whether or not sellers feel like, after attending they see greater visibility for their items.  There are many factors that eBay has that determine an item's visibility such as new listings, seller click thru rates, seller status, return rates, seller infractions to name a few. 

At the end of the day eBay wants to give the buyer to have a positive buying experience...understandably so.   I'm thinking out loud here but wonder if, in eBay's mind,  they would think a seller who attends the eBay Open conferences is more inclined to drink eBay's metaphorical Kool-Aid.  Therefore, after attending the conferences, they get a bump in visibility because eBay feels that they would be more likely to deliver the buyer that type of a positive experience.   I'm not saying eBay is or isn't using attendance as a factor...I truly have no idea.  Just wondering if there are past attendees here who could share their thoughts on the matter.       

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

eBay Open

@cb-boards 

I  have been to several eBay events and hope I can answer some of your concerns and give you some  feedback.

"Am contemplating going to the eBay open; can anyone who has attended tell me if they truly felt like it helped them enough to make it worthwhile from a financial perspective as registration airfare and room/board will probably run me $1200 or so not to even begin to mention all of the lost sales I would incur in that period. "

I believe that what you gain by going to one of these events will help you  in your business. It is also tax deductible( consult your accountant for details)   it is worth every penny.As for lost sales ... if you have a store you can put your store on vacation and increase your handling time, if you do not have a store then you can increase your handling time in all of your items and process the orders when you get back....

Not to mention how cool it is to hear a cha-ching  and have tons of sellers and staff clap for you!!!

"One thing that I'm curious about is whether or not sellers feel like, after attending they see greater visibility for their items.  There are many factors that eBay has that determine an item's visibility such as new listings, seller click thru rates, seller status, return rates, seller infractions to name a few. "

I agree that your  items get greater visibility after an event like this and it is because  you  come back with fresh ideas and start implementing them , and these ideas might come from eBay staff or from sellers or from both!

"a seller who attends the eBay Open conferences is more inclined to drink eBay's metaphorical Kool-Aid."

I been to several events , (I been a seller since 1999)  and I have never felt eBay feeding me the Kool-Aid. The staff  that you meet at these event are top of the line. They truly care and the only way for you to see  this is by being in contact with them eye to eye.. there is a lot to be said for human interaction... when you sit across someone and you voice your concerns , ideas  or suggestions is much different than talking  via email , phone or chat.

I been to  several eBay events ( as mentioned above) and I always come out learning something that I can apply  to my business to make me money.

I have a tip if you decide to go... make sure you take a picture of the ID bage of the person you are talking to ... it will be much easier when you are home  if you need to contact them again... and guess what if you do need to contact them .... they will reply 🙂

If you have any questions, let me know I will love to  help you decide 🙂

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

eBay Open

Well said theshoppingmom2!

It is an opportunity to Learn the latest from eBay and to network with other sellers and eBay staff that go through what we sellers go through every day. Also a great way to get your batteries recharged!

MyLittleGeneralStore
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

eBay Open

I have been selling on ebay for almost 20 years and have been to 4 eBay convenstions.  Each time I come away richer with knowledge.  You learn about things to come on eBay.  You meet great new friends.  You can sign up for all sorts of classes and add to your knowledge.  Plus it's a tax right off.  See you there.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply