cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Open Style vs. Substance question

I'm contemplating attending the conference this year and would welcome some insight from past attendees on how much they got out of it that really helped them sell more and/or retain more profits on those sales...ie what I would classify as substance.  

I hear a lot of talk about people saying how much fun they had, how great the band was, the good food, meeting new people, getting pumped up and excited about selling on eBy etc.  I like all of this so don't get me wrong...however that is more style in my opinion.

My biggest areas of interest/concerns are:

1)  eBay throttling

2) Cassini 

3) buyer fraud/scam/abuse

If I attend, I'd like to feel that I would take away enough insight/substance from the conference in these areas that help me sell more so that it is worth my time and money to attend.  Of course, I'd like to eat good food, have fun, listen to a good band and meet some cool people as well...but that is all lower on my proverbial totem poll of priorities.

I'd really appreciate it if past attendees could please try to quantify and give me a % breakdown of how much "substance" they feel they got out of attending vs. "style."   

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I haven't yet been to eBay Open, but I have gone to a few others, like the 20th in 2015.  At that event, there were lots of break-away seminars/classes on some of the new changes coming out back then (eBay App, Cassini search) and those were presented by the designers and group managers, so it was a fantastic opportunity to nail down some answers and to offer suggestions for improvement.

Our biggest paradigm shift right now will be to inventory-based listings, items to be listed against eBay's catalog.  I would expect to see a large number of seminars to educate and help sellers make the change to this new methodology and to provide "best practices" to do well in the new grouped search results. If the past is any predictor of the future, then I would expect/hope to see some meaty sessions in addition to the corporate-hype presentations.

@cb-boards   You are looking for meaty sessions in

1)  eBay throttling

2) Cassini 

3) buyer fraud/scam/abuse

Since the event topics are not yet announced, perhaps this would be a good place to recommend your topics of interest. alan@ebay

Also, with all the eBay employees available at these events, it is fairly easy to latch on to staff and get redirected to someone who can address specific issues. That's usually my M.O.  These events hype up eBay employees as well, and they are at overdrive willingness to help. 

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Good analysis! I was thinking it might be 90% hype. Glad there is actual topics that will help us.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the insight shipscript.  I very well might just attend this year.  I hope that when deciding the topics for the forums, that eBay will take into account seller concerns and not just use it as an oportunity to push areas that THEY want to develop...ie promoted listings,  the eBay catalog etc. 

This event should be for the sellers and adress the topics THEY want and not be used for eBay propoganda.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Conferences like eBay Open, you can expect to get some perks usually only for high volume sellers like eBay last year eBay offered eBay Concerige for all sellers went to eBay Open. So basically enterprise-level support to help you succeed in your business.

IMO Join Mlife, I am using them to get 6 nights of hotels in Mandalay Bay for just 350 after tax and fees plus $150 resort credit and $100 free play!

915ers is on 915ers.com, Visit our eBay Store at http://915ers.bid
Message 5 of 5
latest reply