cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Open 2018 - Community Contest - Free Registration & Hotel

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community,

Who wants to go to eBay Open 2018 on us?!

Through April 20, share your best eBay selling story on this thread and you could win hotel and eBay Open 2018 registration paid for the winner and one (1) guest to attend eBay Open 2018.

Tell us about your best eBay selling experience, with a photo if you want to add one.

The two most Helpful'd entries will win tickets to eBay Open 2018 for you and a guest, plus hotel! Winners announced April 30. 

For more information on how to enter and official rules see here: [link].

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: eBay Open 2018 - Community Contest - Free Registration & Hotel

Well, I started selling over 13 years ago finding parts for a computer and for curiosity I started searching for some auto parts, I noticed I could make extra cash selling those parts, and that's how I started selling used auto parts on ebay. The experience is about an auto part that changed the life of this customer.

THE ITEM WAS A LEFT TOP LATCH FOR TOYOTA CELICA CONVERTIBLE.

This transaction over 5 or 7 years ago, changed my way to see that an a simple auto part can mean a lot for a customer.

I sold a convertible used auto part for a customer (something normal for me), the buyer received the part and a few days later I received a message saying something like this " THANKS A LOT MAN, I TOOK MY CAR TO A HOTEL EVENT AND I ARRIVED WITH THE CONVERTIBLE TOP DOWN, THEY TRIED TO CLOSE IT BUT THEY COUDLN'T SO THEY PUT IT BACK,  ON THE WAY OUT I DIDN'T NOTICE, THAT THEY DAMAGED THE LEFT/DRIVER SIDE TOP LATCH (HANDLE TO LOCK THE TOP) UNTIL THE NEXT DAY. I COULDN'T MAKE THEM RESPONSIBLE AND WHERE I LIVE I COUDN'T GET THE PART, SO I  STARTED SEARCHING ONLINE AND AFTER A  FEW WEEKS, I SAW YOU LISTED THE ITEM, SO I MADE THE PURCHASE, I HAD TO STOP USING THE CAR AND I HAD TO BUY A TARP IN THE MEANTIME, IT WAS SO FRUSTRATING  TO ME, BUT THANKS TO YOU NOW I JUST INSTALLED THE PART AND I'M SUPER HAPPY, THANKS YOU SAVED MY LIFE".

He sent me a picture of the car with the tarp and I'm adding a picture of the top latch handle the buyer needed.

I never expected a mesage like this, I do this everyday, and this experience, was so rewarding, by far the best one I had since I'm selling on ebay.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

I sell memories. In the late 1950s in the produce section above the produce were 3 foot tall dolls in boxes I remember seeing them when shopping with my mother. In 2006 I ran across one at a estate sale still perfect in the box her name was Brenda. I listed it on ebay in a action one bidder just kept beating up the other bidders 4 days into it she emailed so worried that she was going to lose the doll and for a few more days she just kept pounding on the other bidders. I kind of thought there has to be a reason so I ended it early and she was the winner... In came the payment a big thank you for pulling the plug early and she was going to be forever in my debt....  ( back story) Next Page....

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

3 months later sale is forgotten about when one day a long letter and a photo showed up. It seems this doll was given to her sister by her father on her seventh birthday in 1957... The doll was always with her,but over the years through marriage moves and children it got lost in the shuffle. Turn the clock ahead to 2006. The daughter is in the hospital dying her birthday is fastly approaching father is at wits end as to a present knowing it would be here last birthday. Her younger sister found Brenda on ebay bought it boxed and wrapped it for her father. It was the last gift the father gave to his dying daughter. It took the sister 3 months before she could write me to tell me the story. The photos included showed a very happy family in the hospital with Brenda front and center and another of a tombstone of the daughter and the sister wrote Brenda will be with my sister forever....

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

my best selling experiences are the most basic.

I sell an item, I pack it up nicely, I ship it, item arrives, buyer opens item,  satisfied, leaves positive feedback. Happy Ending!

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

One of my favorite sales ever on Ebay, was a security blanket. The buyer messaged me before buying it, telling me how her daughter left hers somewhere while they were out of town.  She had asked if I could ship it to her priority mail, since her daughter was so upset that it was gone. Of course I did, and she was thrilled when she received it. So much, that she sent me a picture of her little girl, smiling, snuggled up with it. 

It made my day!

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

I am a new seller and sold a book that I sent Media Mail to Hawaii.  It sat delayed, and never arrived.  After weeks of waiting and numerous friendly conversations with the buyer, I finally decided to just refund, as I felt the buyer had been very patient and deserved his money back.

I have since learned that Media Mail sent to Hawaii or Alaska is low priority, and can sit many weeks before there is room to send it.

The buyer was so kind in all our communications and very appreciative of the refund.  He offered to pay me if the item was ever delivered.  I told him not to worry about it.  

Communication with an understanding buyer and the learning experience was worth the $15 I lost.   Sellers work really hard to provide excellent customer service.  When things don't go as planned, even when beyond our control, it is nice to work through the difficulties with an understanding buyer.

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

Had a friend who had a gold meddelon from Coke sold it for $1800.00 .

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

My best sale ever was the day hostess went out of business. People were going crazy because no more Twinkies, I went to the grocery store and bought the last two boxes they had. They were 5 dollars each I made two separate listings, after all was said and done I made a profit of 80 dollars and learned something. A box of Twinkies fits perfect in a size 8 shoe box.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

Here is my story…

From the 1930's to 1969 there was a bakery in the Los Angeles area called the “Helms Bakery”.  The Helms baked goods were never sold in stores. They sold their baked goods from a truck every weekday morning. Apparently they did not have gas gauges so at the end of the day the gas was siphoned off into a gas can to see how much fuel was used.  The bakery closed its doors in 1969 and the trucks and other related items were sold off. 

About 10 years ago a friend gave me a red Helms Bakery gas can to sell. I thought it was a silly thing to sell but I rarely turn things down.  She had purchased it in LA when the bakery was selling off their wares. She paid $5.00 for it. 

I told her I would give it a try and listed it for $50.00.  About 10 minutes before the auction ended I watched in amazment as the price started to go up. First $150, then $500 then $950 and it finally sold for a little over $1600. My friend and I were shocked. I contacted the buyer who was very nice and told me that he had been looking for the gas can for over 30 years.  

He had a FULLY RESTORED Helms Bakery truck and the ONLY thing it was missing was the gas can. He couldn't believe that he finally found one on eBay and said that I had made him a very happy person.  It was a great day for all. 

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

Those cats got treated to a their own Christmas Party.  I sent her a new supply to her office.  Thank goodness she was an animal lover and not angry about the situation. athena- garden - unquote ------------------------------------------------

I think that is an awesome story ! I wouldn't have been angry either because  the incident  is just too comical . The good laugh I would have had over it  would have been a nice  trade  for just having to clean up a little mess . Our mini pin Nero is always thinking up new  ways to cause mayhem   , he's by far the funniest  dog I've personally ever had. Since his photo with glowing eyes  once appeared in one of my Halloween listings on e bay ,, I hope that's enough to just tell about his latest caper 🙂 . He had  helped himself to a ear of corn when nobody was watching . He got in between the sheets on my husbands side of the bed and chewed it into a thousand pieces . I tried to get mad at him for making me change the sheets  but it was funny . 🙂 tulips 

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

He had a FULLY RESTORED Helms Bakery truck and the ONLY thing it was missing was the gas can. He couldn't believe that he finally found one on eBay and said that I had made him a very happy person.  It was a great day for all. diamondsells - unquote --------------------------------------------

That's a fantastic story too ! A win win situation for everyone ! I love to see good things like that  happen . I remember the Helms bakery truck  going past our house every day when I was little . Once in awhile  mom would let us buy something . It was a real treat to watch the driver take a piece of tissue paper  and hand   us the donuts we picked out. Good memories  🙂  tulips 

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

You can't sell anything that way!

The pilot had sadly lost his wings to cancer and was not looking forward to selling the plane he loved. His aircraft broker offered a wholesale price to cash out immediately, or the plane could be consigned to the broker's lot on commission to wait in lonely exile for the right buyer.

Back then, a fairly new convert to the site, I was telling everyone about the fun I was having on this great place called eBay. So naturally, I asked if I could sell the plane for him. He was reluctant at first; and his broker was even more so, but finally settled the issue with a patronizing:

"Well, sure, go ahead and give it a try. When that little experiment doesn't pan out, just bring it to me and I'll sell it the right way."

So, with that bailout plan, we were off to the airport, where the pilot made his final short-field takeoff, circled out over the ocean, out into the heavens to savor the last flight of his life — a fond and sad farewell to his beloved aircraft.

After the photo op and beauty shots, I took extra time on closeups of the chipped paint, the patches, the corrosion, and all the other uglies — a real puzzlement to the pilot who thought all we needed were a few pretty pictures.

While the pilot was undergoing intensive treatment, I set out to copy the flight and maintenance logs, talk to the mechanic, get a list of the upgrades, research other sales, and write up a two-page description with dozens of photos. It was now time for the pilot to make the final decision to let go.

The Good, Bad, and Ugly

The story read something like the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The head-rush excitement of nearly instant takeoffs and short landings, the throaty power of the monster engine, the excellent maintenance by a dedicated mechanic, and the overall solid condition.

Then the "bad" and the "uglies" were laid out in naked photographic truth. Yes, the leading edges are chipped, wing surfaces need treatment and new paint, a feral hangar cat has clawed the fabric stabilizers, and so on and on. Then the clincher pitch: despite its cosmetic flaws, this little powerhouse is still in marvelous condition, fully certified, and ready to fly home!

composite_15229940422770.jpg

It took many days (serious, hand-wringing days of ups and downs, maybes and maybe nots) to convince the pilot that writing up the flaws and putting photos of them right there in the listing would actually improve the selling price. Sure, it sounded insane, but I had seen picky buyers jump in once they knew exactly what they were buying. And honesty in the details would build trust in the transaction. Without all those details — with too much left unsaid — the auction would be low-balled for fear of the unknown.

So, while going through the rough weeks of chemotherapy, the pilot was now trying to cope with unorthodox selling strategies. It was not helping his fragile mood. But this dubious concept had already worked well in my (admittedly, much smaller) prior auctions, and I was adament we try. The broker, on the other hand, could barely contain himself: "You can't sell anything that way! You'll drive away the buyers! "

The Auction Strategy

The reserve was set at the wholesale price offered by the broker, with bidding started well below that, and it posted Sunday morning. With all expectant parties awaiting the great unveiling ... well ... umm ... the listing never appeared. What happened?! I was embarrassed and crestfallen by the fizzled launch, and we had lost our Sunday exposure as well. I'm sure the broker was smugly amused.

Then, at last! When it appeared 24 hours later, the broker bids trickled, and then started pouring in. We watched the bids like a ticker tape. Up, up, and up they went as the bidders jockeyed for top position. With an exuberant flurry, reserve was broken the next day, and, having reached wholesale, the brokers were done and moved on to other low-ball listings.

The pause was short. After a breather day, the serious buyers started their own bidding war with renewed vigor. This plane soon had the highest number of bids of any other on the site, and, elated, we knew it would sell with some strong backup positions.

composite_15230422298160.jpg

The sky's the limit!  Within days, the plane was already far above the estimate the broker said he could procure on consignment. In fact, it was not very far off of the purchase price paid ten years prior. I was ecstatic! The pilot was ecstatic!

When the final bid was placed, the price was at the high end of the spectrum for that make and model. The broker was completely dumbfounded. The pilot was exhuberant!

And when he now tells his stories of relapses and remissions, of giving up flying and surviving his cancers, the pilot fondly recalls his airplane ... and how his wife "sold it on eBay".

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 27 of 37
latest reply

Last year I picked up a whole bunch of stuffed bunnies from a post-Easter sale and tossed them up for sale here.  They were nothing special, just your average run-of-the-mill plush bunnies, not very high-priced or anything.  Some of them sold, but some of them sat around for a while with no takers.  Then, one day, one of them sold, and when I went to check the transaction, there was a note from the buyer attached.

The buyer thanked me for having the bunny for sale and said that his daughter had lost her stuffed bunny just like this one a year ago and had been praying for its return every night.  So before I packed it up, I stopped in to the little souvenir shop near where I worked and bought a postcard from my city, then tucked it into the box with a note telling the buyer he could use it to write a story about the bunny's adventures while it was "missing."  The buyer ended up leaving me feedback thanking me for going above and beyond... but honestly, I'm just glad I could make a little girl happy.

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Last Fall I had a buyer purchase a part. Once it was delivered I got a very nasty message from them about how it did not fit and they were tired of all these sellers giving them the run around.

Well I tried to find out what was the issue but only got choice cuss words so I left it with please return for refund after I had reported this buyers profanity.

Return was opened but opened as Not as Desribed. I accepted it knowing I would pay return shipping and well so be it.

I accepted the return and notified CS what was going on.

As a last resort I messaged the buyer one last time with the following question of: What is the issue with the item? We would like to try and help you without the use of profanity. 

Waited apporx I hour and got a reply. "It just spins and will not work" "Nobody cares to help"

My reply: Can you please send us a couple of pictures of the back of your vehicle where the part is suppose to go without the part you got from us on it.(As I ducked for profanity cover)

30 minutes later the buyer uploaded pictures as I asked.

My reply was: Do you have a pair of vice grips and some WD40?

Buyers reply: WHY?

Our reply: Your old part when you removed it was plastic except for one piece of aluminum that is still on the stud. Spray it with wd40 then put the vice grips on it and turn it to left and right to get it loose.

Waited approx 1 hour for a reply......Nothing.

Then we got a message from Ebay that the return was closed by the buyer. Reason: Seller helped me fix my car.

Got a message with NO profanity letting us know that what I figured out was a single mom trying to fix her car, She stated out of all the sellers she had bought and returned this same item to NOBODY stopped to even ask what was the issue.

This buyer was at her wits end and why she used all the profanity.

It took us within 2 hours of messages back and forth to diagnose and get this single mom taken care of.

It's just the way we do business here.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

I sold some of my old toys on eBay a few years back. One item was a kids woodworking kit. I had only done one of the projects so the kit was mostly intact.

The guy who bought it told me that he had the same kit when he was younger and had hours of fun with his parents making the different projects. He was so happy to find my listing because he had a kid now and he wanted to share the same experiences.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply