cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the difference between ebay.com and .ca

what is the difference between ebay.com and ebay.ca.... the .com seems to be the central site, why have the others... are all profiles registered in the same central database???
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

ebay.ca =Canada

ebay.com = US
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

why have others, because not all ebayers speak English, so there are different sites in different languages for them. i.e. ebay.de is German ebay ebay.fr is ebay France.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

exgotitall
Enthusiast
Okay, I get the eBay.ca and eBay.com thing - my question is this: if I have an item for sale in Canada and believe that US buyers will be most interested in it, do I have to go to the eBay.ca site to post it or is it automatically posted there when I use my eBay.com to insert the listing?

Thanks
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

exgotitall
Enthusiast
Sorry, I had my last post incorrect - If I post on eBay.ca will the item automatically show up on eBay.com and does it make more sense for me to post items that US residents may be interested in on eBay.com?

Confused Canuck
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I think it is really more a question of where the buyers are looking if that makes any sense. You will notice on the advanced search option, the looker has the option of clicking on any number of options one of which is ebay.com. Now if a buyer doesn;t want to look meaning having something set from outside the USA, they will click on that option, so it really doesn't matter what ebay site you listed it on. I really don't know if I am explaining this very well.

Let me use myself as an example, let's say I do a search for antique sterling silver. I will click on the items located in any country option. It doesn't matter where the seller listed the item, it could be on ebay.de, I will be able to see the item.

If a buyer is interested in finding something I think they will go to the effort to locate the item, no matter what site it (the item) was listed on.

Now if you are registered on ebay.ca I really can't speak to the ability to change the site tht you post the item on, maybe somone else can.

I think what I am trying to say is I wouldn't worry so much about the origin site of your listing, if someone is interested in obtaining the said item, I beleive, JMO, they will use that any country selection option, and thus be able to see all items regardless of where they are or were listed. Hope that helps you a bit.:-D moggy
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

craftowl
Enthusiast

eBay Canada FAQs state:

Sell to the world on eBay.ca
When you list your items on eBay.ca, your listing will appear on the eBay site of every country to which you’ve chosen to ship. So if you make your item available to the United States, your listing will automatically appear on eBay.com – you don’t need to list separately on eBay.com

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

erock7667
Enthusiast

hello....i listed a coat last week on ebay.ca, and i couldn't see the listing on the ebay site, of ebay.com.....and i also tried to sell it on the ebay.com site and i had to be a united states address to finalize the sell...which i couldn't do ? so how can i do this right ?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

You need to specify a shipping cost for every country that you want your item to show available to.

If your coat only showed up on ebay.com, then you only specified shipping to the US, if it only showed on ebay.ca, then you only specified shipping for Canada.

The only real difference between ebay.ca and ebay.com is the shipping calculator.

Ebay.com uses USPS and you need a zip code in order to have a calculated shipping shown, and ebay.ca uses Canada Post and you  need a postal code in order to have calculated shipping shown.

If you are using flat rate shipping it doesn't matter which site you use as long as you specify shipping costs.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is just trying to collect more money off you. I live in Minnesota but I get the ca. Price which is higher due to the dollar rate. I don't know why the think I live in Cannada. That's a long ways away. I told them to refund my money if there going to charge me cs. Prices.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Canadian buyers get access to ebates.ca. and vice versa

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Well i have the same opinion ebay.ca & ebay.com are almost same only it shows the basic registered country of the seller or buyer. What i have learnet that if any thing isted in ebay.ca would be searchable in every ebay site only if the shipping to that country is included. If the seller doenot ship item to UK then listing will not show up in search results of ebay.uk

Freinds can you comment on my understanding?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply