eBay Chat
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Be warned of scam going on with gift cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be warned of scam going on with gift cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

claymank
Enthusiast

Buyers are buying gift cards and requesting to be emailed the card code after they pay you. Once they have spent the balance of the card they request a refund from PayPal because they didn't authorize the purchase. You will end up paying back the buyer, possibly still paying eBay and PayPal fees, and losing your gift card!

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES

Re: Be warned of scam going on with gift cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in reply to Dec 1, 2013 2:43:53 PM
mankyboo2
Thrill-Seeker

My advice is,DON'T sell gift cards on ebay,This kind of thing happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR! I have seen it too many times.Good Luck!Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 42

in reply to Dec 1, 2013 4:56:01 PM
$baya0c
Explorer

Visit your local CVS or wallgreens for a gift card, even Papa Johns has gift cards. Why take the risk.

Message 3 of 42

in reply to Dec 6, 2013 7:47:19 AM
sdc_passions
Pathfinder

This just happened to me. I sold an iTunes gift card and the buyer requested I send him the code through Ebay message. So I did then a couple of days later filed a claim with Paypal for unauthorized purchase. I provided Paypal with screenshots of the message where I sent him the code and of his feedback page, where you can obviously see that he has done this several times, but Paypal still refunded him the money and i was out a gift card and the money. I have reported him to Ebay and they have done nothing. I just checked his feedback and he has done this 2 more times since me. I dont know why Ebay hasn't removed him yet!

Message 4 of 42

in reply to Dec 6, 2013 7:50:49 AM
sdc_passions
Pathfinder
We are talking about selling the gift cards, not buying them. I was scammed by a buyer as described above, the exact same way. I learned my lesson and will never send a code through a Ebay message. If I decide to sell gift cards again I will mail them to a confirmed Paypal address with tracking. That's the only way to do it to be covered by seller protection.
Message 5 of 42

in reply to Dec 7, 2013 11:42:55 PM
sd-brightis
Scout

Ebay protection is worthless

Message 6 of 42

in reply to Dec 8, 2013 7:54:16 AM
hondamedic
Guide

eBay/PayPal will do nothing. Why? You violated eBay policy.> http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/gift.html

Not allowed

• Gift card codes or electronically delivered gift cards 

Even though you sold the card you delivered the code electronically. This is one of the oldest scams on eBay. Sorry this happened to you!

Message 7 of 42

in reply to Apr 26, 2014 7:49:36 PM
historicaldaddy
Pathfinder

When you buy a gift card on ebay, make sure they send it out within 30 days. Ebay's purchase guarantee is only good for 30 days from the date of purchase. Paypal dispute is only up to 45 days. Do not buy any gift cards for any sellers if they mention that they will ship outside of these periods. This ebay seller, giftsrachelsgifts , scammed many giftcard buyers.

Message 8 of 42

in reply to Apr 27, 2014 7:08:36 PM
anonymoose99
Rockstar

historicaldaddy wrote:

When you buy a gift card on ebay, make sure they send it out within 30 days. Ebay's purchase guarantee is only good for 30 days from the date of purchase.

eBay protection is good for 30 days after the estimated delivery date. Please get your facts straight.

Message 9 of 42

in reply to Jun 6, 2016 5:00:49 PM
shercorne
Enthusiast
I got scammed out of $4000.00 by eBay and paid by eBay gift cards. My trust in mankind has went down the drain.
Message 10 of 42

in reply to Jun 12, 2016 2:22:52 PM
mike-g-ferguson55
Adventurer

I agree with you because I was sold e- gift card and found out the card had no value.  eBay and PayPal knows they are being scammed.

Message 11 of 42

in reply to Jun 18, 2016 8:16:35 AM
donndininn-0
Enthusiast
I got scammed out of 500. Isn't anyone liable. Especially when I thought it was Ebay that I was going through.
Message 12 of 42

in reply to Jun 23, 2016 11:24:30 AM
pexinia
Pathfinder

I must agree with you. I was just scammed $2,000 and not sure what the eBay gift card service can do when you provide them the documentation.

Did you know you can file the complaint through ic3.gov.

Message 13 of 42

in reply to Jul 13, 2016 12:32:24 PM
robson1
Rising Star

Well from the buyer perspective there are problems too.  Many sellers repeatedly sell gift cards at deep discount, say Starbucks $100 for $75.  How do this do this, over and over, and why?  And in their auctions perhaps put a message card number will be electronically transmitted and should be used immediately.  Answer is they trade in stolen credit cards.  First they buy stolen credit card numbers online.  They use these to purchase e-gift cards on the Starbucks website.  Then they sell them at deep discount through ebay.  They now have paypal credit or cash in their account.

Unsuspecting buyer checks the value, it is good.  Maybe even transfers the value from the purchased gift card to their own Starbucks gift card thinking this makes them safe from an unscrupulous seller who might still have control of the number and use their credit up before they have a chance.  That is not the scam they need to worry about.  It can take up to a few weeks for the original stolen credit card to be reported, and all fraudulent charges to it are reversed by the bank.  Starbucks gets a charge back for stolen card.  If merchandise was purchased or coffee consumed, there is not much they can do.  But they do trace the purchases and may find gift cards were purchased.  They can track these and if any value is still on the card, void the card.  If the balance was transferred to another account, that account and any subsequent ones are also closed and balances forfeited.

The unsuspecting buyer may have had his own card with $80 on it, then purchased $100 at discount, and merged them to give $180 on the combined card, planning to consume it over time.  He loses not only the fraudulent $100 but his own $80, and he will have a hard time with Starbucks proving it was legitimately his.  Now he will place a claim with paypal, or ebay, or his own credit card company (which he used to buy the discounted card on ebay) and good luck to him explaining all that and getting a refund from paypal.  The seller might even claim the funds were good on the day they were received, the buyer transferred them, end of story.  No refund due. 

Any seller who repeatedly is selling discounted cards at deep discount doesn't add up.  And ebay seems to ignore this totally.  Feedback doesn't help either, the unsuspecting buyer leaves positive feedback when he gets the card and checks its value.  Days later his value is canceled by Starbucks, and when he tries to retaliate feedback is already done. 

Message 14 of 42

in reply to Jul 13, 2016 1:03:59 PM
redbud_farm
Rockstar
Has been happening for quite sometime, selling gift cards comes with lots of risks
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 15 of 42

in reply to Jul 25, 2016 1:21:56 PM
caliresales619
Enthusiast

Its 2016!!!!! and this Scam is still going on. Paypal no help. Ebay no help. Why am I paying for fees if I am not protected. Total Ripoff.

Message 16 of 42

in reply to Aug 5, 2016 5:50:03 PM
wlavarias
Enthusiast

Guys you're not alone, this just happened to me as a seller and I had sold a gift card and was left positive feedback and eight days later the buyer filed with paypal for a return payment for a n authorized transaction I dprovided proof of the value of the card and I have an electronic trail showing the value on the card and unfortunately,  PayPal  policy rules over integrity.

This is a big loop hole with PayPal which basically allows thieves to steal your money and PayPal will not do anything about it. They know your money was stolen and eBay knows the users are thieves, eBay sends you an email after the fact that the buyer is a  suspicious. I feel more for the ones that have lost a large sum of money because PayPal will do nothing to  protect you even when they know 100% that you got ripped off. All they care about is that their accounts are funded  and that you are on your own against a  gift card scam that has been going on for a long time and PayPal is 100% aware that it happens but profit from their company fees clearly come before the users that they take fees from to make them an insanely rich company. Sadly only thing here I can say is lesson learned. Fighting them will get you nowhere

Never for ever sell giftcards om ebay, ever

caliresales619 wrote:

Its 2016!!!!! and this Scam is still going on. Paypal no help. Ebay no help. Why am I paying for fees if I am not protected. Total Ripoff.

caliresales619 wrote:

Message 17 of 42

in reply to Sep 6, 2016 11:33:00 AM
freewhitecat
Rising Star

I had exactly the same experience with Ebay and Paypal for selling a Dell eGift Card. Paypal not only charged back the amount I sold my gift card, but also kept the orginal fee charges for the transaction. It really provides no protection at all!

Message 18 of 42

in reply to Oct 19, 2016 1:39:46 AM
aqualauralu77
Enthusiast

This just happened to me: I sold a $25 iTunes gift card, gave the buyer who paid with PayPal the code & now exactly 11 days later, she is asking for a refund.

But the gift card is depleted: she got the item she paid for & used it. I had no idea people would be this dishonest. I have an excellent Ebay rating & have had an excellent experience as both a buyer & a seller on here. I am shocked that someone would stoop this low.

I have reported it to Ebay: I have the email that I sent her the code & it was a new code/card. 

What is EBay doing to prevent this kind of theft? It is ruining the conscientious community that I know and love here. 

Please assist with this issue ASAP as well as provide a warning to other sellers somewhere on your site in BIG LETTERS. 

Thank you ~aqualauralu77

Message 19 of 42

in reply to Nov 14, 2016 1:19:45 AM
pjno9
Enthusiast

I have just had this happen to me twice on the same day.  I had 2 £50 itunes vouchers and both buyers asked me to email the codes rather than wait for the gift cards.  The fact that I have no protection is horrific.  There is an eletronic trail of both transactioin histories, and more importantly, the scammers entire histories.  The fact ebay and paypal know about these scammers but do nothing about it should be an issue under law.

Message 20 of 42