cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought I should share this...

Best Buy isn't the only store that punishes shoppers for too many returns

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/best-buy-isnt-the-only-store-that-punishes-shoppers-for-too...

At least a dozen major retailers are discreetly tracking shoppers' returns and punishing people who are suspected of abusing their return policies.

Best BuyHome Depot, and Victoria's Secret are among the many retailers engaging in this practice.

Most of these companies have hired a third-party firm, called The Retail Equation, to mine their sales data and keep a database of customers' returns to flag potentially problematic shoppers. Customers who are flagged are often barred from making future returns.

Retailers say they use the service to combat return fraud. Some critics say its raises privacy concerns, however, and dozens of shoppers have complained online about being unfairly punished by the system.

Business Insider compiled a list of all the companies that use The Retail Equation, based on information from the companies as well as recent customer complaints on social media.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

IMO a company can run their business legally as they see fit  as long as they inform their customers in prominently displayed signs that this is their return policy.

Then it is up to each individual on whether to shop there or leave.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

A lot of stores do this. Information about exercising their right to limit returns is usually in the fine print on the bottom of a receipt. Some stores require an ID to return something and they scan that ID in their system.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

As long as I can return the item that last time with the warning no more in the future then it's legitimate. But any purchase made with the expectation of a return possibility has to be fulfilled or it's fraud. Since it's a case by case basis. Refusing you without warning would be the same as lying when they sold it to you.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I don’t think this should come as a surprise. VS has been tracking for years. A lot of stores have been tracking returns w/o a receipt for years as well.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

We didnt realize so many company were doing this.  We hate dealing with returns but we do it.   But there is punishing anybody.  We block a lot of bidders but we dont block anybody for returns.  We just asume they didnt like it.  Im sure there is a lot of people that abuse it though.  Thanks for the info.  best regards

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

".... dozens of shoppers have complained online about being unfairly punished by the system".

LOL... and for those who complained and particularly those in American society who have elevated themselves to accomplished chronic complainers, I ask this.

Can you provide us with your definition of being fairly punished by the system?

------------------

My apologies for not adding the insidious tedium to redundancy of repeating the entire word for word original post, as seems so popular around here.  That seems to be making a judgemental accusation reference to suspected inabilities of some who may not capable of retaining the subject matter long enough to develop a relevant response.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

to be the devils advocate  Is it not assumed that when you buy something it is because you liked it,need it etc  So to follow that line the only returns should be for something with a flaw not seen. Maybe retailers are just trying to make consumers better shoppers and buy what they need / want 

Of course store have spent years trying to get us to by spur of the moment ( see it want it) so maybe that policy is now coming back to bite them in the rear

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@lovtaco0wrote:

A lot of stores do this. Information about exercising their right to limit returns is usually in the fine print on the bottom of a receipt. Some stores require an ID to return something and they scan that ID in their system.

That monitoring company has been around at least 20 years, and I've posted about it in years past. 

Returns shouldn't be an issue with customers.  Stores' attitude is "You obviously have problems shopping here so go somewhere else".  Dept. stores cut down on shoplifting by connecting tags on items to a particular receipt.  Trying to return an item not connected to a receipt results in being arrested.

After 2 returns in 30 days at Target, the customer has to settle for a mailed check; and that's only with state-issued picture ID.

eBay doesn't give any warning, and neither does amzn.  eBay just takes away the return option, and amzn disallows the return and lets the buyer know they can no longer return an item for any reason.

BBBeyond still has the most generous policy in all of retail, regardless of them saying they cut back on return privileges.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I have no problem at all with most return policies as I buy only what I need and shop pretty carefully ahead of any purchases in the first place.   I've rarely ever needed to return much of anything. 

I know that the prices I pay include a smidge to cover *bad* returns as well as the overall cost of handling returns in the first place, so anything stores can do to limit the more unreasonable and questionable returns from their unreasonable and questionable buyers is great by me!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Walmart does this to a degree. If you return too many items without receipts you will be banned from returning without a receipt for a year. I think it is a fair policy. No reason to return something without a receipt. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Best Buy isn't the only store that punishes shoppers for too many returns nc daydreamer - op - unquote ------------------------------------------------

My oldest son has worked for Best Buy  going on 12 years now . He manages the geek squad  for repairs . This is what he told me  about restocking fee's and their need to have them in place  . He said there are an increasing  number of  buyers making purchases  on wide screen TV's  especially  right before a big sporting event as in the World series or the Super bowl as examples   only to bring them back to the store for a refund once the event is over . Just like e bay sellers ,, Best buy isn't in the rental business  so they must protect themselves in this manner . Of course most buyers are  honest and won't take advantage of a retailer this way . However  the ones that will and do spoil it  for everyone and they are the reason these policies  had to be enacted . Tulips 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Yep,  using stores for free rental.  At the  walmart  i work at our biggest free in store rental are tents and sleeping bags.  they use them for the weekend and bring them back saying that they were not up to their standard. we no longer give money back on these, only exchange, use towards upgrade or a store credit no longer cash back on them. sign posted in front of them.

for online return orders, the biggest abuse is free bicycle rentals during the summer months. Buy online use it shy of 90 days and return them to us at the store before winter with bald tires and again say not up to  their standard or quality. Yeah right, why not return it right away then, not after the tires are warn off from abuse skidding on them.

my supervisor wasn't happy three nights ago. we had a lady come in with 4 cribs, recalled cribs. She walked out with $2200. Not bad haul for recalled cribs she found cheap someplace.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good for them, it is about time someone stood up to buyers who commit return fraud and habitually return goods, score one for the seller, perhaps in the future they will share these buyers on a national list.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

No one ever really knows how clothing is going to fit them or how a pair of shoes will feel. As long as we sell clothing we have to expect returns. 

On eBay, I  usually only buy clothing in which I have worn the brand before and know how it fits and even then there can be exceptions. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply