cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

1) We've been on eBay since 1999, with a 100% fb rating and over 1400 sales.

2) We learned early on that 95-98% of our bidders were in the good old USA!  Ergo, we only sell to the lower 48 states and only to bidders in HI & AK if they request the increased shipping costs before bidding.

3) We've had Canadian bidders beg for us to make an exception.  We merely ask them if they have a friend or relative here in the USA.  If so, and if they pay with PayPal we will drop ship their item to their relative or friend in the lower 48 states who can than bother with the customs forms at the USPS or UPS, etc.

Peace

Message 16 of 613
latest reply

Dear esell resell

Once i found myself in a jam where i need funds for a trip to visit some one sick and never had a penny to my name,so i went to one of the quick checking loan places and borrow,lucky i had a checking account and post dated a check and i got my loan on the spot,im saying this was right for me at the time,and this put me in good credit terms with a loan company,its something to think about,and yes im also thinking about going to amazon,for i have order several items there and i think they are just as good as ebay, i truely hope you work something out and you and your family have good happy holidays,p.s.if its not to much trouble,please leave update about your holiday for the family,for im truely hopeful you find a solution,and i will have you in my prayers.(plus you are not and idiot,you did some one a favor and got scamed) God will keep on blessing you in ways at the time you might not even realize.

Message 17 of 613
latest reply

You know what, I will have to shout out here too.

I sold a laptop to raise some money for my college tuition. sold it for some three hundred. shipped the item promptly next day. USPS insured + Priority + same day at the postal office. What can you say about that customer service? Estimated was 6 days, and I cut the item into only 3.  No response from buyer, and I got my funds released, I put it into my bank.

2 weeks later, the buyer suddenly says "It's DOA dude". So I said.. well check this check that. He says "I brought it to another location (hundreds of miles away), so that he could have a look". He says it's still dead. I think it's getting a bit serious. So I made an insurance claim. But I did not drop the idea that this buyer might be defrauding me. So I did my background checks, and found all the poor sellers like you all. I figured I'm in trouble too.

While the claim is in process, the buyer suddenly says NO YOU REFUND ME. I'M NOT LEAVING THE MACHINE UNTIL YOU REFUND ME. Wow.

The day after, I said I might be a bit busy to not respond, but I actually wasn't. So I woke up with a eBay Buyer Protection Claim busting over my head.

So I called PayPal, consulted other experienced sellers, called USPS, called eBay buyer protection department.

They gave me a hold on the escalated dispute, but I don't know if I can be protected.

Message 18 of 613
latest reply

I am pretty much fed up with Ebay. They and PayPal always take the buyer's side but beyond that, they bill you and take your money on items you've not been paid for, they take you around in circles, they have 'bait and switch' "customer support" where you think you might actually get to talk with a human being and then they NEVER give you that option....they just take and take and take. And I for one have had about enough.....

Message 19 of 613
latest reply

Wow! All these negative comments about Ebay and I must say that I agree. I have been a seller for nearly 10 years and due thier stupid assed 5 star rating system that is totally for the favor of the buyer, I am fed up.

They are holding my funds just because I had a few auctions that I sold a couple items marked not as described.

Even though I settled with each and every buyer with cash reimbursements I am still taking the heat. Ebay has screwed me out of any extra Christmas money I could have had.

Now they want to take money for shipping charges.

All I can say is my money must be no good to them, cause if I don't post any auctions than neither of us will get any money.

Oh well. Sellers unite and boycott Ebay. They suck!

Message 20 of 613
latest reply

anthonysarah2107
Enthusiast

I read your story and I am truly sorry this happened to you. I know right now things are tough and some one used you and now your struggling and I'm just at the cake icing of it. I'm there my husband just had his 3rd back surgery at age 27, getting screwed by workers comp. and we have 3 boys. So our policy we have learned is keep our faith in God and he will get you through anything. I will pray for you my friend. I hope many read this and for those that do these bad things realize there are people who they are hurting. Best of luck to you and your family this Christmas.

God Bless You.

Anthony and Sarah Minks

Message 21 of 613
latest reply

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

I just want to say Thank You to all of you who have spoken out about Ebay's policies with Sellers and how Buyers are FAVORED much more than the sellers who make the money for them. I also appreciate all of you who have ofered your prayers and best wishes, you have no idea how much it means to me. I have been so stressed out about all of this and I feel for all of you other fellow sellers who have been rooked out of money by buyers, Ebay or Paypal.

I also have some updated news as to the status of the case between me and this buyer. I just got home though and am so tired atm, I have been doing some cash work a few hours here and there as a furniture mover to help put a few xtra dollars in for christmas. Every momment I am in the cold and busting my back I must admit I am cursing this buyer. You will all be shocked by what I have to tell you tomorrow. I won't give in I can't let my family down, I just can't. Please come check out the unbelievable events that have occured since my last post with this case, it is going to blow you away. Again thank you all for speaking out and maybe we can all come together and either make Ebay understand they need to change some of these policies or they may no longer have anything to sell.

Message 22 of 613
latest reply

USPS insurance doea not pay off except in the USA. That's why it's useless to buy insurance for outside the USA

Message 23 of 613
latest reply

texas_cowboy_trader
Enthusiast

I sold a skull. the buyer emails saying its not i said it was. knowing ebay would take his side, i issued a refund. paypal said it would take 3 days to complete it. i sent the buyer the transaction # and a message through ebay to cover my butt. the buyer emailed me back & told me he was HAPPY now, if I gave him positive feedback he would in return. i did. 2 days later he leaves NEGATIVE & opened a claim. i called ebay & they said they could READ the messages & knew i was being truthfull.

They STILL found in the buyers favor, left his negative feedback left for me, increased my seller fees, put a hold on my sellers account & let him continue to ENJOY the ebay BUYER protection policy so he & OTHERS, can do, do & KEEP doing what they do best, lie,cheat,scam & LIE somemore.

Message 24 of 613
latest reply

I don't ship internationally anymore due to the insurance issues.  International insurance is too much, and I will not ship expensive items uninsured.  Delivery confirmation is basically useless.

I had a Canadian buyer contact me and ask me if she could bid on an item- I told her "no" due to the insurance issues.  After the item sold to a domestic buyer, she sent me an email telling me she really wanted the item, she pays insurance costs all the time on items.  I don't think we are allowed to charge international buyers for insurance- am I correct? 

It's not worth the few extra dollars of hassle for me to sell internationally anymore....

Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 25 of 613
latest reply

Dec 26,2011

i just would like to mention,ebay reruled in my favor today against my first buyer,and im so pleased,because this was truely great for me, because this woman tried to rip me off,by creating a tracking number for a return and not sending the item back,no tracking  info for item in postal data,so i did get my money refunded,and soon the negative ratings she left will be removed,this person was truely a night -mare for me,not to mention this was my first sell on ebay also, i block her from any contact with me,--good --riddens- i just hope each of you can resolve your case and get reruled in your favor,don't give up,keep contacting ebay in your cases, will be checking back with you all and i enjoying reading all your input,because im learning from you as a new seller.

Message 26 of 613
latest reply

xxxploader
Enthusiast

I am not a seller on ebay, however, the more horror stories I read, the more convinced I am, that there are 2(Two) Basic Rules for selling on ebay! Rule No.1 Sell Only Relatively Small (easilly packaged, non-fragile), Relatively Low Priced Itrms... $50.00 U.S., or less. No.2 Sell ONLY to your Country of Origin.  These will be the two simple rules I follow if and when I sell on ebay!!!  Have a Nice Day All! 🙂  Buck

Message 27 of 613
latest reply

xxxploader
Enthusiast

And a P.S. about the concept of insurance costs in a Service Oriented Industry... If you hire an Electrician, a Painter, a Roofer, Etc., THEY are required to be Bonded and Insured, to cover any and all of their screw-ups!!! Lol I DON'T say "Ma'am, would you care to buy the added extra Painter's Insurance, just in case one of my guys spills paint, stain etc. all over your home? Otherwise you are not covered and have no recourse!"  Lol You would laugh that service provider out of your house, and quite possibly slap them once or twice!!! Lol:^O So why do we put up with this practice in the delivery service??? :^O  Just some food for thought, and possibly the begining of a massive Wake-Up Call! Be Well All! Buck

Message 28 of 613
latest reply

Hello again.  As a follow up to the reply I made earlier about the Canadian who tried to use the return system to rip me off for $600.  Ebay did eventually find in my favor when I appealed the case stating that the buyer shipped back junk instead of the control system.  3 weeks after that I finally got the $600 back (a total of 8 weeks after the case was opened.)

In finding in my favor during the appeal is seemed obvious to me that the buyer had tried to commit international mail fraud and we had caught him.  Yey for the system and thank god this con man was caught in the act.  One thing though...the buyer is still active on ebay and still buying high end items from the USA. 

How can ebay allow a buyer that tried to commit international mail fraud to continue buying intenationaly...or to continue buying at all?  How can sellers have any confidence in their buyers when con men are allowed to go unpunished?

To all con men who want to rip off sellers...use ebay because you wont even get punished even if they catch oyu in the act!!!

I give up....ebay will back their buyers, even when they are known to be crooks

Message 29 of 613
latest reply

Sorry for your troubles with Ebay, I am a victim also as buyers who so not communicate or answer emails are allowed to leav negative comments. I have been selling since 1999. and now ebay is rating me below standard, upin g my fees, getting paid on listing fees, final value fees, S&H fees, and finally Pay Pal fees, then I get my money.

Sure, we had Christmas, no gifts under the tree for the kids, but we had each other, a roof over our heads, light, electricity and water.

Ebay sucks, over the years I have been a victim of such frauds and con-men, ebay always rules in their favor, I loose the money.

But in todays economy, we have to figure out which is the lesser of 2 evils just tomake ends meet.

No sense in buying insurance, everytime I make a claim, it is denied due to poor packaging, Ioose the sale, the product, and the money. I have enven gone as far as sending my packaging to the Shippers Package test facility, they approved my packagine, and still deny my claims, SO, so use there.

I have sucked up enough $$ due to ebay always siding with the buyer that my stomach churns, but we have to endure.

It is nice when things work out for us. but the key here is

Seller Beware

Good luck, thanks for letting me have my say too.

Message 30 of 613
latest reply