cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Phone Number?

Hello

Is there a way to remove your phone number so a seller cannot see it? I've gotten several phone calls from sellers who I bought from. Never expected it ...

Thanx

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Remove Phone Number?

Users are required to provide a contact phone #.

If you remove it and are reported [for "Invalid contact information"] your account could be suspended.

"They don't keep me here 'cause I'm GORGEOUS, they keep me here 'cause I'm SMART"...Judge Judy

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

I'm not concerned for whatever the reason is for the phone calls. My question is: Is it neccessary/policy to provide your phone number? If so, I don't remember this being a requirement of Ebay in the past. Is is a REQUIREMNT of Ebay policy? Email should be sufficient given you're responsible and courteous enough to reply in a timely manner. Few have the reputation I have; 65 year old honest Ebayer since its inception 1998. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

It was required when we opened our first account in '99.

The policy page I found mentioning phone #...

Privacy Policy http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/privacy-policy.html#collection1

Information you give us: We collect and store any information you enter on our sites or you provide in context of using our sites, applications, services or tools. This may include, but is not limited to:

information you provide us when registering for an account, including email address, phone number, mobile telephone number, physical contact information, and (depending on the service used) sometimes financial information, such as credit card or bank account numbers;

Think the mobile number is still optional and if you're registering to only buy, don't think you'd need a credit card or bank account. You'd need the latter if you're planning on selling (to pay your selling fees).

"They don't keep me here 'cause I'm GORGEOUS, they keep me here 'cause I'm SMART"...Judge Judy

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

I can totally understand the necessity for Ebay requiring the phone number but why does a seller need to have access to that information. I'd like to make that aspect private, if possible.  Email should be sufficient given you're responsible and courteous enough to reply in a timely manner.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

...but why does a seller need to have access to that information.

Sometimes a buyer or seller can be unresponsive to emails/messages sent (or ebay fubars and either delays or never sends out an "ebay message").

Making a user ID's phone # available to both the transacting parties allows the patners another route to attempt to make contact to correct a perceived problem/situation before taking further "official" detrimental action against the trading partner...or...to help straighten out a problem when a misinterpreted typed message (can't "hear" voice tone in written word form) creates a psuedo-problem that never really existed.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

I know this is an old thread, but there is currently a way to do it:

You can remove your phone number from public view by logging in with the mobile app, click on your account info, edit the addresses, and delete the phone number listed under the address.

Might also be able to do it by editing your address on the desktop version too.

The very idea that eBay makes your phone number publically avaliable to anyone you buy/sell with is unsafe and insulting.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

As a seller, in the few instances where the item didn't ship on time, or I realized the package shipped but an item was still left on the packing table, a quick phone call to the buyer always resulted in "thanks so much for calling!"  Usually a brief chat about the item, etc. and what could have been an issue is resolved immediately.  And often this results in positive feedback that we care more than the average chump.  We never use the personal contact info for anything but personal contact when neccessary.

ChrisB

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

Absolutely correct. Nobody anywhere ever has the right to give out your phone number. There is no argument and no justification. Ever. You get to decide who has your phone number. The end. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

I keep getting calls from eBay and I don't want them. I am not a seller. I buy occasionally. It's annoying.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My phone provider with straight talk gave my number to someone else when I ended using their service and I have a new phone with a new number but not yet, so I need to remove my current number off ebay because thanks to greedy straight talk they gave my number to someone else, so its not like I'm trying to hide from something by removing my number

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

Hi All,

I am not a seller.  I just buy stuff on eBay.  I would like to remove me phone number and have it never remember my credit card.

The reason is I don not like web sites just collecting storing, sharing and using my information for whatever purpose they see fit with out asking me first. 

How do I stop eBay remembering my credit card?

How do I remove my mobile number from eBay records?

Please do not respond with reason why it is good or why I should allow eBay to keep this information.  I am not interested. I just want it removed and stopped.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

@lunarjetdog  just make up a random number and enter it as your contact phone number.

Ebay are doing the wrong thing by not allowing the phone number field to be left blank. How dare ebay give my number to sellers or buyers. I never agreed to that. My mobile is not public, and has nothing to do with my delivery of items, sending of items, or transactions or communication with sellers or buyers.

I thought my number was required for my account verification only. All these years I never knew that sellers / buyers could simply click to view it.

Sometimes ebay does things like this, and just makes me want to leave permanently.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

Remove 3612357683

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Remove Phone Number?

Sean new phone number 17378670797 to ebay
Message 15 of 17
latest reply