cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay has gone to the dogs!

Once upon a time eBay was a pretty cool place.    Many of my customers became friends.   I had stunningly good feedback and a high sales rate.  Over the years, eBay's policies became draconian, the feedback capability was turned into a rubber stamp, big-box Chinese sellers pretty much took over, reducing the small-seller activity that gave us unique art items, lots of Americana folk, and so forth.   Now it's mostly cheap Chinese junk that takes over a month to ship (enabling some to cheat buyers with phony shipping scams), and a rise in sellers' prices that defies reason.   I'd love to report eBay to the Attorney General for some of those practices, like charging a final auction fee on SHIPPING, even when we don't use their shipping calculators/services.   Of course, there's PayPal and that can of worms; I was once charged for contributing to four charities out of my PayPal account--things I never permitted from groups I don't like--and I didn't find out about it till too late to recover my money.    

The auto-fill feature makes for wrong infornation too often.   I bought a pressure cooker that was listed as stainless steel.   It was aluminum.   The seller said she didn't realize the error--that it was an auto fill by eBay.   Neither did I catch it, so I didn't hold it against her.   If I had returned it, it would have required that I pay a restocking fee and return shipping on a very-heavy item.   Either way, I stood to lose, so I just left good feedback and let it go at that; eBay intrusion into the seller listing caused this problem.  No reasonable recourse was possible.   

I've always had a 100% rating that I worked like a dog to keep, but it's nearly impossible to satisfy eBay now.   Recently I sold something and the buyer asked me to delay shipment because he was on holiday; he said he'd notify me when to ship it after he got home.   I did wait but asked him to write a note on the listing about it to save me being charged with a late shipment.   Well, I was charged anyway, lowering my dashboard rating. There seems to be no way to fix this although I've spent way too much time trying .   I live in New England and we have horendous winter weather, causing many shipping problems.   There is almost no quarter given to sellers for this problem.   Messages to eBay don't get a reply--the most unfriendly policy of all--but be assured that a money-grubbing, unremitting Big Brother is watching and judging, often unfairly.  

Not long ago I went up on the blogs and issued a warning about a Chinese seller who has a scam--delaying a buyer with promises, saying that it's been re-sent, etc., until it's too late to get refund and the two shipments she said she'd sent never did arrive.   I was too nice--make that stupid.   I tried several ways to warn aeBay but couldn't get through, so I posted a blog warning people--with the sellers name--and was disciplined by eBay for naming a thief.  It's not the first problem I've had with Chinese shipping but it will be the last.   My quick assessment is that they compromise as much as 40% of the sellers on eBay now.  I don't need to further detail the problems with their products or accountability.   

I came a breath away from deleting my account this morning .   I may still do it.   I'm conscientious, thorough, honest and dedicated in my dealings--and thoroughly frustrated.   Obviously, eBay doesn't deserve me any more.   If I were an attorney, I'd bring a class-action lawsuit against them.   There!   Maybe they'll throw me off of eBay for saying that.   If so, good riddance.

Signed:  barefoot-designs (Carla Kelly)

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Carla, I feel your pain!  I too have been on eBay almost from the beginning.  The current state of mind seems to be, let's morph eBay into a wannabe Amazon.  They push for free shipping, no questions asked returns with full refunds and the customer is never at fault.

My feedback rating for years has been 100%, with glowing remarks, until recently.  I sold an item that was in like new condition and tested the day it was shipped.  The buyer claimed it arrived DOA, not possible, it was clearly damaged by the buyer.  eBay turned a deaf ear and insisted that I pay for return postage and a full refund.  I now have an item that was worth several hundred dollars that I can not sell and to add insult to injury the customer posted a negative review after a full refund and I have no recourse, even though my sales over the years on eBay total several hundred thousand dollars.

The current eBay is not the eBay we all grew up with and it is a shame, because the old eBay was a fun place to buy, sell, share info and meet people.  It is trying to become, as I said earlier, a wannabe Amazon and they aren't doing a very good job of it, I still have an account but I have also been tempted to cancel it, not sure that I want to continue financially supporting them.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Appreciate your reply. Not many people were active with eBay back when it was fun; all they do is lecture me--mostly they're supercilious and seem to represent the new eBay, which you and I find pretty disgusting. I'm considering quitting, but after what I've found out about Amazon, I'd have to quit both and basically stop shopping on line. Being out in the country, that's a hardship for me. But then, I think of all the things I could get done if I stopped wasting time here.

Thanks again for replying. I'm half expecting to be disciplined again by eBay.
I wish you the best. If there were more people like you and me, maybe this would still be a nice place to do business. Take care, Carla
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You may not know but I just found out than when a case is filed aginst a seller the automated system

automatically makes the decision for the buyer. No request for information or anything else.

Ebay is all for the buyer, the hell with the seller,

That is how some buyers scam us all the time.

And ebay can take money out of your Pay Pal account without your permission or even knowing about

it such as in filed cases aginst you the seller.

KY boy

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Ky boy,

I found that out when the buyer decided to return the item after damaging it.  My seller rating at the time had well over 1000 feedbacks at 100%, the buyer had a whopping 20 something feedbacks and when I brought this up to eBay and reminded them I have been a seller for over ten years the response was basically, that's nice but we are siding with the buyer.  And I love the fact that they allow you to state "No Returns" on the listing then completely ignore that when a buyer wants to return an item.  There should be a notice sent to all sellers "Be prepared to accept returns under any and all circumstances". 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I've worked in many huge and powerful companies and seen some gross stupidity--I worked at Pratt & Whitney when Alexander Haig ran the place, the same AH who fancied himself Pres when Reagan was shot, a real lunatic, really!--anyway, I've seen some stupid, but eBay might be raising the bar. Tonight I laboriously completed a complaint form, hit enter, was told my session had expired and that I should hit reload; I tried to copy my stuff but it wouldn't let me, so I did what they said and all my data disappeared. Ground Zero. Again. I can hardly stand all this fun.

It just goes on and on--unfriendly, unnecessary, counterproductive workings that are driving away responsible sellers, spoiling customers, a mega-corporation running like a cheap wind-up toy. It's so bad that it couldn't be accidental, but there it is! I can't even believe that I might possibly believe that's possible, but "the times, they are a' changin'." Silly me, I thought Alexander Haig had died. (That's sarcasm, people.)

Message 6 of 6
latest reply