cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, March 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Community Chat, March 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

I would like to share my pain and frustration with you....in the hopes you might be able to accomplish something on behalf of post card sellers.

When the new item specifics came out, I have tried to adjust.  I still have a problem with postcards - topographical item specifics.   As I have said previously, not every card in this category depicts an occasion nor has an artist.  The solution - when the listing appears as missing these two, you go in and check the little box "don't remind me about these again".  Which I did and continue to do.  When my listings did their automatic  renewal I did NOT have to check the box again.  I was overjoyed!

That was until end of February renewals.  For some strange reason the Year of Manufacture was moved from additional info to recommended.  (based I guess on 2,000 people putting it in search).  Now I have to repeat the process AGAIN.  So far I have done 442 listings with 717 still to be done and probably more to come as renewals finish.

Obviously you can see what a complete time waster this whole process is.   If you really want to feel my pain, open an excel spreadsheet.  Enter the number 1 in the first box and hit return.  Keep doing that for 50 times.  Tedious, isn't it?

The simplest fix is to move Occasion, Artist, year of Manufacture into additional information and not add any more "recommended".   Or change screen in item specific - recommendations to allow for a mass editing without having to do them one at a time.

-----

Edit: A reply to your suggestion can be found here

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

Also a warning about USPS new $4 surcharge on packages over 22" and $15 on packages over 30", also a $15 charge on packages over 2 cu ft.  ONLY a month away on April 3rd. Not sure about others but this will end 50% of my sales, Close to $25,000 a year in sales alone.

Hi @tsme35 - we've made sure that this is on the Shipping team's radar and that they are aware of the impact that this could have on your business. I hope that this won't be as impactful as you fear!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 47
latest reply

Along the lines of the possibility of postal carriers not scanning more than 5 packages, I've asked from time to time to have the way the SCAN form generates to not be tied to the bulk label printing, but also be able to be tied to the single label printing page.

Frankly, I don't like using the bulk label page - I want to print labels one at a time so that I don't run the risk of putting the label on the wrong package. The work around on on the bulk label page is super clunky - delete all the labels I don't want to print, print the one I want, and then double back to rinse and repeat over and over again.

It would be great to see a option from the shipping labels tab to select the current day's labels and put them on a SCAN form, regardless of whether they were printed from the single label page or the bulk label page.

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

velvet@ebay   Thanks !  Am sure that will get me an answer............

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  

I was checking out the new integration with Quickbooks and found a discrepancy in the special sign up page where eBay sellers can get a discount.

In the top part it says 30% off for 12 months, but then at the bottom (after you click the link to see the hidden terms) it says "30% off the monthly price for QuickBooks Online (“QBO”) is for the first 6 months of service, starting from the date of enrollment, followed by the then-current monthly list price."

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/partners/ebay/?cid=par_ebay_US_evergreen_Jan2022_QBO 

Quickbooks3.jpg

I understand that is a Quickbooks page and not under eBay's control, but given the extent of the partnership with Intuit on this and the fact that eBay is very actively promoting this deal here in the community and on site in Seller Hub, I think eBay bears some responsibility to make sure the terms are what they have been represented as being to eBay's seller customers.

Can you pass this to the payments team or whoever is working with Intuit on this to get some clarification and update the announcement about this program here in the community please?

Thanks for brining it to our attention @valueaddedresource I'll make sure to get it in the right hands! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

@inceptions 

Appreciate the information about using a scan form! I take my packages and scan them at the post office, so carrier pickup isn't something I worry about. I raised the question because it sounds like USPS may be making kind of a major change, and eBay doesn't seem to know anything about it. It's odd that the shipping team is still silent.

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

yea tried that before and after mixing up labels and orders, I stopped. Also I do alot of combine shipping, it adds the weight for each order, so a combine order weights 8 oz's but prints out 24 oz's

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

@casuallyattractive wrote:

Where do you contact seller service, the ones that actually can help you?

Hi @casuallyattractive - you can reach Customer Support via the Help Pages (link here) or you can contact via social media (Twitter or Facebook). They will be able to review your account details and assist. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 23 of 47
latest reply

There have been a couple of complaints about not being able to find where to schedule listings on (I think) the NEW listing form.........  I can't find it there.......can any of you?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

You can adjust the weight and dimensions on the bulk label form to reflect your correct dimensions for the combined orders, as well as select a different shipping service.

Upthread, I asked, again, about the possibility of adding a SCAN form to the shipping labels page, especially if the PO is going to start enforcing the 5 or less for individual scans.

I hate using it for the same reasons you do - it's too easy to make mistakes mixing up labels for me.

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

@glgenterprise 

I get what you're asking, but until eBay makes that happen (if ever), I can suggest something that you can do now.

To use the bulk label option, you have to check the boxes for at least two shipments (but you don't have to check all). Then you only have to delete one if that's how you want to do it. You can do this as many times during the day as you like. When you're ready for the scan form, go back to the page where you can kick it off, and it will include all the labels you've printed that day (or for those created after the last scan form you printed).

So for example, I might print labels in batches throughout the morning and then print one scan form that includes all. Then another sale or two comes in that I can quickly print labels for. I then print another scan form that includes those packages only. My carrier will then have two scan forms to scan.

I know it's a change from what you're used to, but once you get used to this, you'll likely never want to go back.

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

I would like to share my pain and frustration with you....in the hopes you might be able to accomplish something on behalf of post card sellers.

When the new item specifics came out, I have tried to adjust.  I still have a problem with postcards - topographical item specifics.   As I have said previously, not every card in this category depicts an occasion nor has an artist.  The solution - when the listing appears as missing these two, you go in and check the little box "don't remind me about these again".  Which I did and continue to do.  When my listings did their automatic  renewal I did NOT have to check the box again.  I was overjoyed!

That was until end of February renewals.  For some strange reason the Year of Manufacture was moved from additional info to recommended.  (based I guess on 2,000 people putting it in search).  Now I have to repeat the process AGAIN.  So far I have done 442 listings with 717 still to be done and probably more to come as renewals finish.

Obviously you can see what a complete time waster this whole process is.   If you really want to feel my pain, open an excel spreadsheet.  Enter the number 1 in the first box and hit return.  Keep doing that for 50 times.  Tedious, isn't it?

The simplest fix is to move Occasion, Artist, year of Manufacture into additional information and not add any more "recommended".   Or change screen in item specific - recommendations to allow for a mass editing without having to do them one at a time.

Thanks for the input @postcardcountry! I've passed it on for further consideration. 😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 27 of 47
latest reply

tyler@ebay  Thanks again for your response on this thread:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/ebay-listened-to-us-FINALLY-Offers-now-tell-us-if-buyer-used/m...

This is good news for sellers, and I've added some info there---ebay has actually revised the help pages to indicate this change is in place---but the inevitable question arises:

Could you explain what criteria ebay uses to determine whether to formally announce a change like this or not?

As you know, it is a long standing, even intractable pain point, that ebay makes changes (and yes, even changes we're happy to see) without announcing them. For a company that talks a lot about seller engagement, this has always baffled me. So, just what criteria do you use to decide whether something is worthy of an announcement?   Or is it simply that ebay likes to force sellers into playing the game we all hate: Glitch, Test, or Actual Change?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

There's no hope, this isn't going to be a small increase, it'll be 100-150% shipping increase, that's HUGE. Its hard enough to sell fishing rods when shipping jumped to $10-$15 but in April that will be $25 to $30,  it would be 2-3 times the cost of most of the rods I sell.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

tyler@ebay  Thanks again for your response on this thread:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/ebay-listened-to-us-FINALLY-Offers-now-tell-us-if-buyer-used/m...

This is good news for sellers, and I've added some info there---ebay has actually revised the help pages to indicate this change is in place---but the inevitable question arises:

Could you explain what criteria ebay uses to determine whether to formally announce a change like this or not?

As you know, it is a long standing, even intractable pain point, that ebay makes changes (and yes, even changes we're happy to see) without announcing them. For a company that talks a lot about seller engagement, this has always baffled me. So, just what criteria do you use to decide whether something is worthy of an announcement?   Or is it simply that ebay likes to force sellers into playing the game we all hate: Glitch, Test, or Actual Change?

Hey @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - There are a number of factors that go into determining whether or not something is a formal announcement or not. I don't have specifics to provide you, but I will make sure that this sentiment is shared.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 30 of 47
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: