cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, June 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - Trading Cards Image Detection

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat. This week we’re joined by the trading cards team. They are here to address any questions you may have about the image detection feature on the app. 

You can read the announcement for this feature here, as well as viewing the FAQs here: Android or iOS

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. We’ll review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT, at which point the thread will be closed from additional responses. After that time, the team will continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be answered after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Community Chat, June 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - Image Detection Feature

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

lucie@tradingcards 

Could you tell us what additional "capabilities" are on the way?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques Thanks for asking! Nothing I can share at this time, but we will keep sellers and buyers updated through announcements on the Community boards and other forums when the time comes. 

Message 31 of 49
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

In my experience with stamps, cell phone images are inferior to scanned images. If the feature "reads" the card with OCR, can it also straighten images and fix levels to avoid muddy images, and replace the background framing the image without losing critical information like nicks or dings along the edge of the card?

Would it not be better to have spent the funds on hiring subject matter experts or contacting trade associations and catalogers of other collectibles like stamps and coins to create more accurate and effective sets of Item Specifics?

If the real estate bubble bursts when interest rates rise, what will become of trading cards? I guess eBay was founded too late to get in on tulip bulbs.

Hey @clarkphilatelics, thanks for that insight. It would be our dream to have a feature that could do all that you're suggesting to provide impeccable final images, which are such an important part to the listing. As we build up more learnings, it is definitely the goal to build a scanning tool that all our sellers will benefit from and love for the spaces they are expert sellers in!

Message 32 of 49
latest reply

Off-topic:

The help page that explains the final value fees for Managed Payments sellers is confusing and needs to be clarified. (I suspect that the corresponding page for PayPal sellers is the same.)

Here are the suggested clarifications:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-managed-payments-sellers?id=482...

image.png

Message 33 of 49
latest reply

Trading card related, the .30 fixed fee per transaction really prevents a lot of sellers from listing low value $0.99-$1.99 cards. Offering these cards promotes us as a seller who is "go to" and increases business.

Customers tend to purchase one card at a time, and that's an excessive fee to swallow on such a small value sale. Remember when managed payments didn't have a fixed fee? I do, and it's just one of many reasons we don't personally have 1,000+ older Pokemon cards listed (multiple QTY for each listing). We sell elsewhere because eBay has become so incredibly frustrating and we're making a killing on this current market.

For card sellers reading this weeks chat, with plain white envelope, you need to print to a label not to the envelope directly. I will say this is an incredible feature but not enough to put up with eBay as is. We had one issue out of 400+ orders shipped PWE but we used a Rollo and printed to a 4x6 thermal label which was placed on the envelope itself. Also provided protection to the envelope. Props here, it is the only positive feedback I have for modern eBay.

As for the new feature, I've got nothing. Odd to restrict a weekly chat to such a narrow subtopic within a niche topic to begin with.

Message 34 of 49
latest reply

@c.b. wrote:

re: the image technology...

how detailed is it going to be for the item specifics?

for example, in pokemon, there are shadowless cards vs. non-shadowless (unlimited).   is the detail and info stored in the AI portion good enough to distinguish differences like that?  i ASSUME it will know the diff entre a 1st edition and non-1st ed?  how much of the item specifics are going to be filled in?

also, is there any plan to scan EXISTING listings in order to determine if they are bogus or have mistakes?

i mentioned in the other post that i am not only a seller but a buyer.  i buy a lot of cards.  it is so insanely frustrating to look up a 1st edition card and get a whole page of non-1sts.  depending on what i was looking for (how many hits i was getting), i have given up on occasion.  are you going to be looking at that part as well?

thank you.

@c.b., That first edition selection would be really frustrating!  The image detection tool helps prefill all the important item specifics relevant to the product selected by the seller.  We do urge sellers to make sure that they fill out relevant item specifics under Features such as 1st edition, shadowless, and/or alternate art, etc. to allow buyers like yourself to easily filter for products you are looking.  We are continuing to improve our image detection capabilities and if you find any technical issues or item specifics we are missing after a scan, please kindly share that with us here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Trading-Cards-Image-Detection/gh-p/Image_Scan 

Message 35 of 49
latest reply

@c.b. wrote:

yes, please explain the rationale behind not allowing bid retractions.  i buy and sell in trading cards, and i have clicked on the wrong button on my smartphone and needed to retract.  i also have encountered a glitch on the smartphone that dumps me into the wrong item/seller.   i have had to cancel people's bids and purchases, and if i didn't they would most likely have just not paid like all the others who haven't asked to be cancelled... and that just wastes my time.

yes, i know they can figure out what the high-price is if they bid and retract, but is there enough of that going on to offset the other issues?  maybe it's worse in the sports card category?

most importantly, given how quickly the prices are changing (sometimes daily) in trading cards... it complicates things when people buy and then don't pay.  i lose money when they don't pay and i have to wait for them to pay... and then when they don't, i relist , but then i miss the holiday or the price spike or the intensity of demand for a particular product.  losing just a few days or a week in trading cards can mean a loss of 500 dollars!

based on my experience, it is MUCH more important to avoid non-pays than to put in an extra layer of work in order to cancel.  the answer to that for me would be to allow us to cancel and move on quicker if it's a hot product or a holiday.  maybe there could be a special icon or something that would alert people that it's a quick-pay item?

as an example, i recently pulled down a listing i had and sent the cards into PWCC to have them do the auction on ebay since they were having a huge pokemon event in february.  a person who won one of my cards there never paid.  that meant, i missed the event and the card sold for a LOT LESS the next round.  it wouldn't have mattered if the person had asked permission or not, since PWCC bans people who don't pay...but it still wasn't enough to deter that person from bidding and then not paying.

so... why be so hardcore about the retraction?

This is not exactly the current topic, but it's very close, so I think this should be addressed.

The trading cards category is very well suited for a particular kind of buyer fraud called Bid Shielding, which is a method of manipulating bidding that relies on bidders being able to retract their bids freely. Bid Shielding results in the fraudulent buyer purchasing the item at well below market value, which harms both the seller and eBay. If buyers can't freely retract their bids, then they can't do Bid Shielding. I suspect that this is why bid retractions in this category are being limited to seller approval.

Bid Shielding:

Where a member uses two or more accounts to manipulate the bidding, by placing very high bids with more than one account, to artificially raise the price above the market value to prevent other members from bidding because of the high price. The very high bid from one account is then retracted just before the 12 hour deadline for retracting bids, and usually another very high bid will be placed just after the deadline, which will then be retracted in the last few seconds of the auction. The artificially high price (above market value) prevents other members from placing bids, and the end result is that the second-high bid (same person, different account) wins the auction at well below market value.

Message 36 of 49
latest reply

to the topic: interesting software: it will be very interesting to see how this goes:

Thanks folks of the team doing this...

Looks to also be a viable product as things progress.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 37 of 49
latest reply

okay, that is similar to my example of bidding and retracting to see how much someone has put on the card... but there has to be another way...

Message 38 of 49
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

to the topic: interesting software: it will be very interesting to see how this goes:

Thanks folks of the team doing this...

Looks to also be a viable product as things progress.

@donsdetour Thanks for stopping by, we always appreciate the interaction! We're very excited about the product and hope you get a chance to try it out soon.

Message 39 of 49
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

The chat is now closed. Thanks for joining us today!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 40 of 49
latest reply

OFF TOPIC:

We can create Custom Item Specifics in Item Specifics. I realize these custom item specifics do not attach to any of the ebay search filters. My question is: does ebay search use them at all?

And also: does ebay search use the description section by default, or only if we designate search to include it? 

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  I’ve reached out to the search team for more information on this.to make sure I have the most up to date information on this for you. I’ll let you know what they say.

The eBay search is a keyword search that looks at the title and the item specifics, you have to use the Advanced Search option to search the description and title.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 41 of 49
latest reply

@kosmetik.karnival wrote:

PLEASE NOTE:  Off Topic

Can you please tell me how one would qualify for the Concierge Program and how one would obtain an invitation to join?  

Thank you.

@kosmetik.karnival Thank you for your interest in this program!  Only customers who have been notified that they are included in eBay Concierge are eligible for this program at this time.  If your account becomes eligible for the program in the future, we would reach out directly to invite you. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 42 of 49
latest reply

OFF TOPIC

Right now, I'm on track to have my required item specifics completed by the July deadline. However, Life sometimes throws curveballs, so if I don't get finished: What is the penalty for a listing that lacks required item specifics by the deadline (or any extension of the deadline)?

I've looked high and low and haven't found any up to date info on this question.

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques I appreciate that you’re working on getting this done and I understand life can throw things at you.

I believe there aren’t any penalties and your listings won’t be removed, but they won’t be renewed after their 30 days if they are Good Til Cancelled listings and to review listings you’d have to add the required specifics or they’ll be blocked.

That being said, to keep myself honest, I’ve reached out to the listing team to double check that is correct currently for the upcoming mandated item specifics. I'll also see if we can get information added onto the item specifics mandate page, so it's not such a mystery.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 43 of 49
latest reply

OFF TOPIC:

Now that ebay no longer invoices us for store fees, etc, it is my understanding we need to provide a back up to pay those fees if they exceed what is available in Managed Payments. My question is pretty simple: It appears we have three automatic payment choices: Paypal, Checking Account, or Credit/Debit card.

Am I correct? We can designate any one of these?  Or are we confined to only our checking account?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - this is one of those situations you'd need to request confirmation from a payments-trained teammate but as far as I can tell the back up payment methods available are a bank account or card (debit or credit).  

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 44 of 49
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

brian@ebay 

I am wondering how many tickets need to be opened for ebay tech support to fix an issue with bulk editor? I have reported glitches and issues with it over and over for the past 4 months - nothing has been done. Either I get tons of errors and can't update at all or it does update but I ALWAYS get this error no matter what: "The Volume Discount Create or Update Failed for (x amount) of Listings" - Then when you have other errors it's impossible to update/use the bulk editor ebay nows says they aren't refreshing listings anymore - OK, but if that's the case don't you think ebay should then be fixing Bulk Editor so it works correctly?? 

IMG_1573.jpg

Hi @nuclearomen - I don't have an estimated time of resolution to provide when a technical issue is reported. Continuing to work with CS on issues like this is the best course of action. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 45 of 49
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: