cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, June 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - Trading Cards Image Detection

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat. This week we’re joined by the trading cards team. They are here to address any questions you may have about the image detection feature on the app. 

You can read the announcement for this feature here, as well as viewing the FAQs here: Android or iOS

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. We’ll review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT, at which point the thread will be closed from additional responses. After that time, the team will continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be answered after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Community Chat, June 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - Image Detection Feature

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Not fixed. I wasted 10 minutes looking for today's chat.

@clarkphilatelics it's been edited and corrected but it looks like there's a delay in the system updating the subject line for some members. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 16 of 49
latest reply

OFF TOPIC

Right now, I'm on track to have my required item specifics completed by the July deadline. However, Life sometimes throws curveballs, so if I don't get finished: What is the penalty for a listing that lacks required item specifics by the deadline (or any extension of the deadline)?

I've looked high and low and haven't found any up to date info on this question.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 17 of 49
latest reply

Is there an international market for trading cards? If so, the rest of this message applies. There is a robust international market for stamps on eBay? Will most of it disappear after July 1, 2021, and reappear at smaller sites not entangled with collecting VAT on behalf of sellers? 

Last week I posted about impending eBay VAT collection changes for the European Union.

• Eliminates the de minimis threshold of 22 Euros.
  • The 2018 ban on merchandise in First Class Mail International requiring

Does this end the ability to send small lightweight items by First Class Mail International? Will international sales of less expensive items under $20 to $50 end or will some sellers continue to use First Class Mail at a fraction of the price of a package with a customs form attached?  How much business will dry up when eBay starts collecting VAT and sellers are forced to pay $8 to $10 or more to ship?

It would be vey helpful to eBay buyers and sellers to publish HS codes applicable to each category.

Has there been any internal follow up by eBay staff who responded last week? Any updates?

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

It is also a different subject that the notice on the Seller Forum said it would be.

Community Chat, June 2 @ 1:00 pm PT – Trading Cards Image Detection

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 19 of 49
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

So lets see if I got this right app scans card pops up the possible matches and you list using YOUR photos and price , and of course condition:

This does a description for the user to list with??? 

Hey @donsdetour, yes that's right!

After you scan your card and select the match you want, you will add your own photos, condition, and desired price. To help speed up the listing process, we do help auto-generate a basic description consisting of the initial Title and Shipping method, which you can edit for more clarity or to add your own details.

Message 20 of 49
latest reply

Bad timing on this topic for the chat:

This is a very limited app at this time

Usable just for Magic: the gathering.

Might be a good idea as the data base progresses to go with the other cards as time goes on.

Ebay is also assuming phone are good for doing all of this: part of the cancel and returns issue is phones.

due to the limited field for vision (size of screens etc..) : it is error prone due to users.

Will be interesting to see how this goes.

_____

Message 21 of 49
latest reply

re: the image technology...

how detailed is it going to be for the item specifics?

for example, in pokemon, there are shadowless cards vs. non-shadowless (unlimited).   is the detail and info stored in the AI portion good enough to distinguish differences like that?  i ASSUME it will know the diff entre a 1st edition and non-1st ed?  how much of the item specifics are going to be filled in?

also, is there any plan to scan EXISTING listings in order to determine if they are bogus or have mistakes?

i mentioned in the other post that i am not only a seller but a buyer.  i buy a lot of cards.  it is so insanely frustrating to look up a 1st edition card and get a whole page of non-1sts.  depending on what i was looking for (how many hits i was getting), i have given up on occasion.  are you going to be looking at that part as well?

thank you.

_____

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

In my experience with stamps, cell phone images are inferior to scanned images. If the feature "reads" the card with OCR, can it also straighten images and fix levels to avoid muddy images, and replace the background framing the image without losing critical information like nicks or dings along the edge of the card?

Would it not be better to have spent the funds on hiring subject matter experts or contacting trade associations and catalogers of other collectibles like stamps and coins to create more accurate and effective sets of Item Specifics?

If the real estate bubble bursts when interest rates rise, what will become of trading cards? I guess eBay was founded too late to get in on tulip bulbs.

_____

Message 23 of 49
latest reply

We're halfway through the hour already and the majority of posts seem to be about other matters, so perhaps you might get the ball rolling here by having each of the Trading Cards team introduce themselves, by name, and tell us what they're currently working on. You might also talk about upcoming features or projects, and when we can expect more updates on those. If you're all in the same room once again, post-pandemic, let's start with whoever is closest to the door...

Message 24 of 49
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Might be a good idea as the data base progresses to go with the other cards as time goes on.

Ebay is also assuming phone are good for doing all of this: part of the cancel and returns issue is phones.

due to the limited field for vision (size of screens etc..) : it is error prone due to users.

@donsdetour  they recently added Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh cards too.

https://pages.ebay.com/scantolist/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmmc6B6dYHw 

Message 25 of 49
latest reply

Not related to trading cards...

You had a police items policy that listed what could or could not be sold. You have since reduced the content of this policy to be very vague. Your CSR in the listing department told me buttons are permitted, but the policy says "uniforms are not permitted". A button is a part of a uniform.

How do I know when listing something whether or not it complies with policy? The police items I have are dated pre 1974 and post 1948 (and from Great Britain), and when I asked if I could list them, I was told "Nazi items are not allowed". So your staff doesn't even know enough history to understand what it is I'm trying to list.

To try and list something and see if it works is a bad idea because of warnings and suspensions. I got a warning for listing a pin from a Canadian officer's uniform that was SIXTY YEARS OLD, and told that it was not allowed. If it's from 1960, how am I to know whether or not it's considered vintage enough to list?

Please clarify the policy. I'm afraid to list anything now, even buttons, even though I'm sure everything I have complies with your policy (and I've disposed of the two items eBay cancelled on  me).

C.

Message 26 of 49
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

@donsdetour Hi! Thanks for your comment and that is something we are working on. The app is available for Magic the Gathering, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh at this time, with more games and capabilities on the way. 

Message 27 of 49
latest reply

PLEASE NOTE:  Off Topic

Can you please tell me how one would qualify for the Concierge Program and how one would obtain an invitation to join?  

Thank you.

_____

Message 28 of 49
latest reply

@kosmetik.karnival wrote:

PLEASE NOTE:  Off Topic

Can you please tell me how one would qualify for the Concierge Program and how one would obtain an invitation to join?  

Thank you.

pay for anchor store - get Concierge - there is no other way

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 29 of 49
latest reply

lucie@tradingcards 

Could you tell us what additional "capabilities" are on the way?

_____

Message 30 of 49
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: