cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Executive Chat, Oct 26th @ 2pm PT - Griff

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Please join us this Thursday 10/26 at 2 pm Pacific for our next Executive Community Chat with Griff. 

Jim "Griff" Griffith joined eBay in Nov 1996 as eBay's first customer support rep. He has held several roles since then including Manager of Training, Community Development, Seller Strategy as well as eBay spokesperson for Corporate Communications.

Griff is the author of The Official eBay Bible and host of eBay Radio and today works on the  Seller Evangelism team, focused on Community.

Griff sells apparel on eBay under the ID "griffville."

Join this one hour 'Ask Me Anything' session to get to know Griff better, ask a question, or share your feedback about buying & selling on eBay. 

Griff_Radio.png

Chat with you then!  

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone, 

The thread is now open. 

Thank you. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 74
latest reply

Exciting to have griff@ebay.com here today!

Message 3 of 74
latest reply

Is there in ETA on the coin catalog fix? We have been reporting this for probably about a year now and it remains unchanged.

When ebay changed the catalog design they made it so the PCGS coin numbers no longer bring up the catalog info. The PCGS numbering system is the "UPC" type codes ebay uses to differentiate each coin. Ebay uses this info as well as the coinfacts info with permission from PCGS. Without this MANY coins are not able to be listed by title search in the coin catalog, or the search yields many incorrect dates.

With the latest update to the coin catalog nothing was fixed, but instead the search function yields even worse results AND it miscatagorizes 1000's of coins by defaulting them into the "error" coin category when they are NOT errors. This error includes:

Cents with RD, BN, or RB color are sometimes defaulted to error category.

Strike designations such as Franklin FBL (fully struck bell lines), Mercury Dime FB (fully struck center bands on the torch), Jefferson Nickel FS (full steps on the Monticello Building) , Standing Liberty Quarter FH (fully struck head detail), and others.

Catalogued/referenced variety coins such as FS-XXX. O-XXX, JR-X, S-XXX. C-X, B-X, and many other very well known references. (X's represent digits that identify a cited variety)

These coins are ALL in the catalog and some correctly place the coins in the correct category and some don't. The is a very serious issue that has been somehow overlooked despite many reports of this problem.

IS there an ETA on a fix for this? If not can one of the executives please report this to the people that OVERSEE the catalog team?
Message 4 of 74
latest reply

Why are we seeing so many changes all at once?

I've been selling here for 17 years and 2017 has taken the cake!

You make it hard to keep up 😞

My sales are down month to month and it seems the more I list the less I sell.

And Griff why doesn't you camera have reviews like everyone elses?

Message 5 of 74
latest reply

Is there anyone here?

Message 6 of 74
latest reply

@coinslabz26 wrote:
Is there in ETA on the coin catalog fix? We have been reporting this for probably about a year now and it remains unchanged.

When ebay changed the catalog design they made it so the PCGS coin numbers no longer bring up the catalog info. The PCGS numbering system is the "UPC" type codes ebay uses to differentiate each coin. Ebay uses this info as well as the coinfacts info with permission from PCGS. Without this MANY coins are not able to be listed by title search in the coin catalog, or the search yields many incorrect dates.

With the latest update to the coin catalog nothing was fixed, but instead the search function yields even worse results AND it miscatagorizes 1000's of coins by defaulting them into the "error" coin category when they are NOT errors. This error includes:

Strike designations such as Franklin FBL (fully struck bell lines), Mercury Dime FB (fully struck center bands on the torch), Jefferson Nickel FS (full steps on the Monticello Building) , Standing Liberty Quarter FH (fully struck head detail), and others.

Catalogued/referenced variety coins such as FS-XXX. O-XXX, JR-X, S-XXX. C-X, B-X, and many other very well known references. (X's represent digits that identify a cited variety)

These coins are ALL in the catalog and some correctly place the coins in the correct category and some don't. The is a very serious issue that has been somehow overlooked despite many reports of this problem.

IS there an ETA on a fix for this? If not can one of the executives please report this to the people that OVERSEE the catalog team?

Hi coinslabz26,

Thanks for the alert. I have heard about the discrepancies in the Coin catalog but I don't have any update. We'll forward this post ASAP to the appropriate team for their attention.

Griff

eBay For Business Podcast
Message 7 of 74
latest reply

@post-age wrote:

Is there anyone here?

Hi @post-age

The Community Team & Griff are here. Let us know if there's anything you would like to talk to Griff about. 

Thanks. 

Message 8 of 74
latest reply

Did you hear about the problem with ads sabotaging people trying to navigate (view or list items, etc.) eBay? It went on for some days this week, and in the thread "Ads interfere with viewing" chrysylys (Rockstar) mentioned this chat as a place to find out more about the problem. Users couldn't find for items because the screen kept jumping to the bottom where a video ad would play.  If you scrolled back up, you were immediately taken back down to the ads on the bottom of the page again. Today it seems better, but I don't know if that means the problem has been resolved. Do you have an update on this? Thanks.

Message 9 of 74
latest reply

In recent calls to support it seems that I am alwys hearing "I am a seller too,

I understand what you are going through". Ok.  I will admit that sounds good but it sounds a bit disingenuous.   

Griff what has changed in the last few months that has made 100% of your customer service representatives "sellers".  And why the change?

Message 10 of 74
latest reply

Can I clarify if a partial refund gives the seller a seller canceled transaction defect?

Example if I sell a $500 coin and the holder is cracked in transit and the buyer requests $25 to reholder it. Would I receive a seller cancelled transaction defect for giving that $25 as a partial refund if the sale is not cancelled and nothing else was done besides the partial refund?
Message 11 of 74
latest reply

I am frequently asked about 2 factor authentication for ebay.  Is there a way to set this up?    I have googled and found some articles that made it sound like they were using tokens instead I think.   

I am not very techie so be kind 🙂  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 12 of 74
latest reply

I had to install ad block to bypass the ads as I could buy as the page would continually revert to the ad at the bottom of the page - even with ad block - the ads were still seen at the bottom of the pages today - but it didn't prevent me from buying.

Message 13 of 74
latest reply

@z50com wrote:

Why are we seeing so many changes all at once?

I've been selling here for 17 years and 2017 has taken the cake!

You make it hard to keep up 😞

My sales are down month to month and it seems the more I list the less I sell.

And Griff why doesn't you camera have reviews like everyone elses?

zHi 50com

Yes indeed, there have been some impactful changes this year. Active content, HTTPS, changes to Contact Information and links in listings, watermarks... that's a lot of change management. For many sellers, these changes have meant a lot of work revising listings.

We don't implement changes like these lightly. They are all necessary in order to keep the eBay marketplace a safe and secure place for buyers and sellers.  For the active content and https changes, these were necessary in order to keep the site secure for buyers and sellers and were driven primarily by changes outside of eBay for example, Google's changes to how their browser Chrome displays web pages that are not secure (not https). We don't expect anymore major changes for the rest of the year or into 2018. If you need help with updating your listings in order to be in compliance with the changes, feel free to email me directly at griff@ebay.com (using regular email).

Griff

Griff

eBay For Business Podcast
Message 14 of 74
latest reply

griff@ebay.com wrote:

@coinslabz26 wrote:

Hi coinslabz26,

Thanks for the alert. I have heard about the discrepancies in the Coin catalog but I don't have any update. We'll forward this post ASAP to the appropriate team for their attention.

Griff they have been informed many times.

Message 15 of 74
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: