cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Broadcast & Chat, May 16th from 12:30 PDT - How to Start Selling and Shipping Internationally

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join us here from 12:30 PDT tomorrow for a live video broadcast and a chat hour all about selling & shipping internationally. 

First up from 12:30, Bassil Eid (@bassileid5) will be in our studio to chat with Audrey Tracy about "How to Start Selling and Shipping Internationally."

Bassil will then join the Community team from 1-2 pm PDT to answer your questions. He can cover topics like:

• The difference between using GSP and shipping direct
  • Do I use USPS or a commercial carrier like FedEx or DHL?
  • How do my listings appear worldwide when I sell through eBay?
  • How important are tracking and insurance?
  • How can a seller mitigate for returns?
  • How much do I need to know about customs? 
  • How are international cases handled and what about keeping up with standards?

Chat with you then! 

*Keep in mind the Community’s Rules of Engagement when you post. Non-constructive, off-topic & disrespectful posts will be removed by our moderation team so that the thread can focus on a productive discussion. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Live Broadcast & Chat, May 16th from 12:30 PDT - How to Start Selling and Shipping Internationally

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

The thread is open for questions. 

Thanks! 

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

Just stopped by to say hi and let everyone know we are aakive and well here in north Florida.
When is the next general topics chat please? Thanks!
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 4 of 50
latest reply

If a package just disappears on its way to another country, 
1. does the seller get a defect for late delivery?

2. does the seller get another defect when the buyer files a SNAD or INR?

3. does the seller lose out by having to refund both the item price and the original shipping cost?

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

Ooh I do have a question & May I share the answer on social media?. I know the answer but I need to clarify for others.
If the item arrives at GSP damaged the seller is responsible correct?
If it's damaged after leaving GSP hub it’s on eBay or GSP to refund correct?
Thank you!

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 6 of 50
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:
Just stopped by to say hi and let everyone know we are aakive and well here in north Florida.
When is the next general topics chat please? Thanks!

Hi @mg152

Glad to hear you're doing well. 

We'll do a general topic chat during the next couple of weeks.

Thank you. 

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

There are only a few countries where 1st Class parcels can be tracked.
Is there any chance eBay will implement a switch, where sellers can say: I only want to sell to countries that allow tracking of 1st Class packages?

I haven't sold internationally for years, because of this problem, but the last time I looked, in order to check only those (17 or so) countries, a seller had to:
- search the USPS site to find out when countries currently allow 1st Class tracking
- go to shipping options, and click on all 200+ countries to say NO SELLING
- go back and manually uncheck the trackable countries

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

3. does the seller lose out by having to refund both the item price and the original shipping cost?

Hi Vryklak, 

Thanks for your question. 

The seller would only get 1 defect counted against them. They can however coordinate with our CS org to get it removed and advise that they did everything they could to ship the item but through reasons out of their control there was an issue. If the item did not get to the seller and it gets lost, then the seller would need to refund the buyer. If the item arrived to the buyer and it was a buyer's remorse case, meaning buyer made a mistake at purchase, the buyer would pay return shipping if the seller had clearly listed this in their international returns policy. 

Let me know if that clarifies and if you have a follow up question. Many thanks 

Bassil

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:

Ooh I do have a question & May I share the answer on social media?. I know the answer but I need to clarify for others.
Thank you!

Hi Mg152, 

Thanks for highliting this. 

Correct if the item arrives at GSP damaged the seller is responsible. If it's damaged after leaving GSP hub it's on ebay to refund. 

Thanks again for raising this, 

Bassil

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

Thanks. 

@bassileid5 wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

Hi Vryklak, 

Thanks for your question. 

The seller would only get 1 defect counted against them. They can however coordinate with our CS org to get it removed and advise that they did everything they could to ship the item but through reasons out of their control there was an issue. If the item did not get to the seller and it gets lost, then the seller would need to refund the buyer. If the item arrived to the buyer and it was a buyer's remorse case, meaning buyer made a mistake at purchase, the buyer would pay return shipping if the seller had clearly listed this in their international returns policy. 

Let me know if that clarifies and if you have a follow up question. Many thanks 

Bassil

Thanks. I think I'll just continue with NO INTERNATIONAL SALES.

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

Alan  I have been selling and shipping to international buyers  since 2003  . Currently International sale have dropped to   1  every other   4 to 5 months  in the toys & Hobby's category  I deal in .  I used to have  60 to 70% international  buyers before Ebay came up with GSP .  The high shipping cost for international FCMI are high for items under  8 Oz.'s   . The large flat international envelope  shipping is out do to the international buyers countries customs  not able  to deal the parcels  and  Vat tax if any is required . The U.S.  Shippers  have limited  shipping options  with no E-Packet shipping with tracking   options  the other countries postal services have  at lower prices  .

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

There are only a few countries where 1st Class parcels can be tracked.
Is there any chance eBay will implement a switch, where sellers can say: I only want to sell to countries that allow tracking of 1st Class packages?

I haven't sold internationally for years, because of this problem, but the last time I looked, in order to check only those (17 or so) countries, a seller had to:
- search the USPS site to find out when countries currently allow 1st Class tracking
- go to shipping options, and click on all 200+ countries to say NO SELLING
- go back and manually uncheck the trackable countries

Hi Vrykalak, 

Thanks for your comment. 

This is a great idea about USPS first class. I totally get it that tracking can be bad to countries when shipping first class. I would advise to pay the extra costs and ship USPS priority as this will ensure you won't get into trouble when any cases get opened against you. You can transfer that extra cost to the buyer and they would usual be happy to pay to be able to track the package ensuring it gets to them. 

Great idea tough and will certainly give it some thought. Thanks Vrykalak, 

Bassil

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

@bassileid5 wrote:

@mg152 wrote:

Thank you!

Hi Mg152, 

Thanks for highliting this. 

Correct if the item arrives at GSP damaged the seller is responsible. If it's damaged after leaving GSP hub it's on ebay to refund. 

Thanks again for raising this, 

Bassil

Bassil  that is great , but there are number of threads where GSP had damaged the parcels  and ebay dropped ball on. but didn't get handled right way  .    

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

Alan  I have been selling and shipping to international buyers  since 2003  . Currently International sale have dropped to   1  every other   4 to 5 months  in the toys & Hobby's category  I deal in .  I used to have  60 to 70% international  buyers before Ebay came up with GSP .  The high shipping cost for international FCMI are high for items under  8 Oz.'s   . The large flat international envelope  shipping is out do to the international buyers countries customs  not able  to deal the parcels  and  Vat tax if any is required . The U.S.  Shippers  have limited  shipping options  with no E-Packet shipping with tracking   options  the other countries postal services have  at lower prices  .

Hi Carlmarx, 

Thanks for your comment and love the name. 

Sorry to hear about the down turn in international sale. Would love to take a deeper look into your account as there could be a number of reasons for a decline in international sales. From our experience, we see better conversion for items in your categories shipped directly then through GSP so it is quite surprising. What shipping service do you use and which countries are you shipping? 

Looking forward to diving deeper and thanks Carl, 

Bassil

Message 15 of 50
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: