cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, October 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on October 9th for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a set topic this week, so please bring any general questions you may have on buying or selling.

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close thread. While no additional questions can be submitted after this time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that may still be unanswered.

If you're new to the chat, welcome! Simply Reply to this post with your question from 1-2 PM Pacific Time and we'll be happy to look into it for you slight smile

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Re: Community Chat, October 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

I am also waiting for my $10 coupon, tyler@ebay ...

Message 61 of 92
latest reply

Any advertising planned for the all important 4th quarter?  

Where can we view the ads?

Message 62 of 92
latest reply

Hi  Brian.

I saw your response in this forum, that you were looking into the issue for multiple ebay members. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Huh-10-Business-Day-Handling-Time-Equals-August-01-quot/m-p/29...

I am having a similar issue, except I am offering 1 business day handling time. I've tried changing my handling and then changing it back. I've tried unenrolling from guaranteed delivery and re enrolling. I'm top rated seller, with 1.4% late shipment. I only have 10 late shipments out of 690 orders, and had four removed last night by the defects team. They said that even with the 10 I should be qualifying for Fast N' Free and Guaranteed Delivery on my listings as I offer free First Class Package or Priority Mail depending on item size/value. When instead I have an estimated delivery time of Saturday October 19th when today is Wednesday October 9th, with either mailing service. They defects team have sent my issue to a technical team, but I'm told it could take 5 days. This has been going on for a few weeks now, and honestly I've lost thousands in sales. I'm full time self employed and ebay is my main selling platform. If you were looking into this before, I'm hoping you have found an answer since and can help me get this fixed, because it needs to be fixed.  Please, anything you can do would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Nick.

Message 63 of 92
latest reply

checking my dashboard raised some questions:
a. I have 3 returns, but when I click to see details, it says I had no returns in the last 18 months.
b. when I click on returns by Condition, I see 14 have "Not specified". ?

Message 64 of 92
latest reply

Twice in the last month, I replied to an offer with a counteroffer, then someone else bought the item for full price the next day.
Does existence of an  offer improve SEP?

Message 65 of 92
latest reply

Buyer returns a damaged item due to buyer damaging it and a seller still gives a partial refund?  Kinda like renting?

Message 66 of 92
latest reply

1.  Seller protections

Is the option to offer a partial refund for damaged items an option in the return process if you qualify?  Will it always be there no matter what the buyer uses as a return reason? 

2.  Handling Time

I realize that ebay removed the handling time being shown in favor of the estimated ship date but does that get skewed if the buyer always ships in one day?  I try for one day handling all the time so I understand that even when I offer 2-3 day handling, ebay estimates are based on what I usually do? Has something changed?

3.  Show Handling time for 5+ days

I like that the 10 day handling shows a line on the front page that says (paraphrase) this seller offers an extended handling time in darker font.. brown I think.

Would ebay consider a compromise and offer that statement on listings if the seller has 5+ days handling time?

Thanks

Message 67 of 92
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@golfingaddict wrote:

My question is about seller protection:

This happens frequently, just last week.

I send brand new in package undergarments. 

Buyer receives exactly what they order but says "wore them, don't fit well, are uncomfortable,  bigger than I thought (or smaller)  I need to return them"  In about half the cases they claim Not as described because they do not fit.  In about 100% of the cases, the items are essentially ruined and I cannot resell them. (worn, out of package, no packaging included with return etc..)

Does the new seller protections offer me any recourse?  Protections?     Am I just expected to take the loss because the buyer doesn't like them, they don't fit, they are uncomfortable or other (not my problem) issues?

Thank you.

Hi @golfingaddict, the enhanced protections for Top Rated Sellers give sellers the option to give a partial refund if an item is returned damaged, used, or altered. Doing a partial refund also comes with feedback, defect, and seller metric protection for the seller. You can view the partial refund guideline table here to see when and how much of a partial refund can be given in different circumstances. Additionally, if a buyer falsely reports an item is Not As Described, sellers can report the buyer to us and received a $6 credit on their monthly invoice, along with feedback, defect, and seller metrics protections. 

The Seller Protections team will be here for next weeks Weekly Chat, so be sure to join us then if you have further questions Smiley Happy

Ebay use to have a policy on Altered or items not in the condition in which they were sent.  So this means Ebay is doing away with that completely.  The best situation Ebay will allow is for the seller to lose 50% [using the partial refund option]??  So sellers now need to accept anything the buyer chooses to ship back to us in any condition?

What happened to the policies on items must be returned in the same condition as sent?

Brian

For example this policy.  Which has been significantly re-written and seems to leave sellers out in the cold with the best they can do is be out 50% of the value of the item.  Even when the item received back isn't what was shipped in the first place.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/condition-returned-items-policy?id=4763

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 68 of 92
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@golfingaddict wrote:

Buyer receives exactly what they order but says "wore them, don't fit well, are uncomfortable,  bigger than I thought (or smaller)  I need to return them"  In about half the cases they claim Not as described because they do not fit.  In about 100% of the cases, the items are essentially ruined and I cannot resell them. (worn, out of package, no packaging included with return etc..)

Does the new seller protections offer me any recourse?  Protections?     Am I just expected to take the loss because the buyer doesn't like them, they don't fit, they are uncomfortable or other (not my problem) issues?

Thank you.

Hi @golfingaddict, the enhanced protections for Top Rated Sellers give sellers the option to give a partial refund if an item is returned damaged, used, or altered. Doing a partial refund also comes with feedback, defect, and seller metric protection for the seller. You can view the partial refund guideline table here to see when and how much of a partial refund can be given in different circumstances. Additionally, if a buyer falsely reports an item is Not As Described, sellers can report the buyer to us and received a $6 credit on their monthly invoice, along with feedback, defect, and seller metrics protections. 

The Seller Protections team will be here for next weeks Weekly Chat, so be sure to join us then if you have further questions Smiley Happy

Ebay use to have a policy on Altered or items not in the condition in which they were sent.  So this means Ebay is doing away with that completely.  The best situation Ebay will allow is for the seller to lose 50% [using the partial refund option]??  So sellers now need to accept anything the buyer chooses to ship back to us in any condition?

What happened to the policies on items must be returned in the same condition as sent?

Good point Mam. 

And what about returns that cannot (or should not) be returned for Health Laws following FDA guidelines - such as cosmetics, underwear, swimwear, food, etc?

I am confused on this. Thanks.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 69 of 92
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@autopiacarcare wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@autopiacarcare wrote:

Are there any current known issues going on with Promotions Manager? There seems to be a long delay a lot of times between scheduled start and end times and actual start and end times.

For example, I had 2 markdown promotions running over the weekend that were both scheduled to end at 11:30 PM Pacific Sunday Night.  However, when I came in to work at 8 AM Eastern Monday (about 5.5 hours past the scheduled end time), they were both still active.  They eventually ended on their own a few hours later.

When I create markdown promotions, I usually select the "start now" option.  However, sometimes it takes several hours for them to actually start.  For example, I started one markdown promotion at about 2:30 PM Eastern today (1 hour and 40 minutes ago) and it still is "pending".

I've also seen several posts on the community boards this week that have been experiencing issues as well, so I don't believe it is just limited to me.

I would imagine that just like us, many sellers plan out their promotions and target specific times/days for a reason.  it is frustrating when the promotions don't run as scheduled and it also makes it very difficult to do any kind of testing/analysis to use for planning future promotional strategies.

Hi @autopiacarcare, most of the time these promotions will go live immediately. In some situations (such as when a large number of items are included in the promotion or within certain categories), there can be a delay as the request is processed. If you can give some additional details/examples we'll be happy to look into this further and investigate any technical issues that may be present.

Thanks @Anonymous .  It's been several months since I've had a promotion that went live "immediately".  I have 1 from today that only had 9 items in it and even that one took about 30 minutes.  Most of my promotions have 300-400 products at any given time, but sometimes they are smaller.

Considering that eBay allows for up to 500 items to be selected individually when creating a sale and allows for a file upload with thousands of items at a time, I would think eBay would have planned to have the resources available to handle the basic promotional functions that they offer.  In fact, up until a few months ago I ran promotions with that many items and they did start and end exactly when I wanted them to.

It seems that in the last few months either something has changed on eBay's side or your servers just can't keep up.

Hi @autopiacarcare, generally these delays are not related to a matter of technical limitation but instead related to the topic of site security. Feel free to provide us with an example or contact Customer Service to have this reviewed in more detail.

Message 70 of 92
latest reply

@automotivepartsrecyclrs wrote:

Buyer returns a damaged item due to buyer damaging it and a seller still gives a partial refund?  Kinda like renting?

At one time, eBay actually encouraged people to buy things on trial:
you can always return it if you don't like it.

Message 71 of 92
latest reply

@toyetictoys wrote:

My eBay store’s traffic report has not updated since October 4th.  I talked with a CSR and they told me that traffic reports could take a week or longer to update.  Why can’t sellers receive real time traffic reports like most other e-commerce sites?  Waiting a week to see my shop traffic is not beneficial.

Hi @toyetictoys, my understanding is that Traffic Reports should update daily, but there is a known issue that is causing updates to be several days behind. This is definitely something we're working to fix though!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 72 of 92
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@golfingaddict wrote:

Thank you.

Good point Mam. 

And what about returns that cannot (or should not) be returned for Health Laws following FDA guidelines - such as cosmetics, underwear, swimwear, food, etc?

I am confused on this. Thanks.

This goes back to another problem I've brought up many times.  When a policy gets re-written and no notification to sellers of the changes.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 73 of 92
latest reply

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for stopping by today's chat! We've closed the thread as the hour is up. Next week's topic will be Seller Protection, so be sure to stop by with your questions.

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 74 of 92
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

@3r_technology_solutions wrote:
Vacation Settings
in reply to 10-09-2019 01:19:44 PM

I have used vacation settings for years In my store.  I understand how they work.  Usually I just set it to block purchases and then have nothing to worry about. 

Recently I went away from Saturday to Wednesday with expected ship date on Thursday, which is 4 day handling time for anything that sold over the days I was gone.

Because the listings no longer show handling time UNLESS you put 10 day handling time or longer, I set my handling time to 10 days. 

So I had my listings with 10 day handling time showing right next to the buy now button and I had my vacation settings set to "away" returning on Thursday (with a note)

And a buyer purchased an item on Sunday and became irate and sent me a blistering email complaining that he "just saw that I had 10 days handling" and wanted to know why I couldn't ship immediately.

I explained, offered to cancel/refund but wondered why the buyer did not seem to notice prior to purchase that I had extended handling time or that I was on vacation.

Does it show the same on all devices? For example, I rarely use the APP and I use edge or IE for my browser.  Am I seeing it differently than my buyers?

Was I out of line to change my handling time and put my store on vacation that way?  I figured that I would be able to ship by Thursday so it wasn't that prolonged a wait to ship. 

What do you suggest?

Buyers rarely read past the title and the pictures. 90% of all buyer related issues is because they dont bother to read the descriptions or anything else past those 2 things. At least this has been my experience.

Why is there not a check box at checkout asking buyer to confirm they have read and understand the listing and the item purchase is properly authorized?

Hi @nc-daydreamer - in our experience adding extra steps to the checkout process reduces the rate of checkouts completed. By completing checkout the buyer is agreeing to the listing. With that said, a seller's return policy still applies and a buyer would still be covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 75 of 92
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: