cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Oct 11th @ 1pm PT - Structured Data

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Please join us on Wed Oct 11 @ 1 pm PT for a Community chat on the topic of Structured Data. eBay experts will be on hand to answer any question you might have. 

See you then! grin

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining us today, the thread is now open for replies. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 85
latest reply

To kick off today's chat, I'd love to start with a question for our sellers.

As eBay guides the marketplace through the changes we make to policy and product, what are some of things you as sellers would like to have to help transition your business?

(i.e. A downloadable report in Seller Hub that helps me identify all of the listings that need to be revised.)

Message 3 of 85
latest reply

I had a Halloween item to list. Yankee Candle holder made in 2011

Collectibles > Holiday & Seasonal > Halloween > Current (1991-Now) > Candles & Candleholders

I had the MPN, but there is no place in that category for MPNs ...I did put it in the title, but that didn't get it picked up.

There is a Product page for the item

https://www.ebay.com/p/yankee-candle-boney-bunch-witch-led-globe-halloween-tea-light-holder-2011/140...

That item is in 2 categories from what I can tell......the Halloween one above and Home Decor>candleholders...... and using the MPN in that category gives them the page.

There are 3 others (and have been more at times) that can't get on the Product page because they are listed on what, logically, would seem to be the more correct category.

I submitted this to your people with the suggestion that the Halloween category, since it is post 1991, should have a space for UPCs..... since they may be available to sellers. I was told to list in both categories.

This is no small category.......and a popular one.....why wouldn't it have UPC/MPN options?

Message 4 of 85
latest reply

I sometimes list used books.

EBay’s chart says that used books must be listed with an ISBN or UPC.

How will I be able to list a book which was published before ISBNs and UPCs existed?

Will eBay software allow “does not apply” for such books?

Will lack of ISBN and UPC hurt my book in search if later editions/revisions of the same title have. ISBNs or UPCs?

Message 5 of 85
latest reply

@long_live_the_seller wrote:

As eBay guides the marketplace through the changes we make to policy and product, what are some of things you as sellers would like to have to help transition your business?

(i.e. A downloadable report in Seller Hub that helps me identify all of the listings that need to be revised.)

I would like to point out a few things that I need.

1.  Guaranteed Delivery

I have no way of knowing which listings qualify for Guaranteed Delivery and which ones do not.  Nor do I have a way to know what is missing that makes them ineligible for Guaranteed Delivery.   If ebay is saying that they are not eligible then they should be able to tell me which ones are not and why not.

2  In seller hub under active listings, I would like an easy way to see which listings are 1 day handling and perhaps even how long the return policy is. i.e 30 day returns or 60 day returns.  I often just edit all my listings to make sure that they are all accurate and have the correct handling time and return time.

(I reserve the right to think of more but those have been on my mind recently)

3.  I want to be able to

Message 6 of 85
latest reply

That downloadable report is a GREAT idea.  Just to expand on that, a bunch of filters for that report would be great.  As there may be some things a seller needs to find that Ebay wouldn't necessarily think of.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 7 of 85
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I had a Halloween item to list. Yankee Candle holder made in 2011

Collectibles > Holiday & Seasonal > Halloween > Current (1991-Now) > Candles & Candleholders

I had the MPN, but there is no place in that category for MPNs ...I did put it in the title, but that didn't get it picked up.

There is a Product page for the item

https://www.ebay.com/p/yankee-candle-boney-bunch-witch-led-globe-halloween-tea-light-holder-2011/140...

That item is in 2 categories from what I can tell......the Halloween one above and Home Decor>candleholders...... and using the MPN in that category gives them the page.

There are 3 others (and have been more at times) that can't get on the Product page because they are listed on what, logically, would seem to be the more correct category.

I submitted this to your people with the suggestion that the Halloween category, since it is post 1991, should have a space for UPCs..... since they may be available to sellers. I was told to list in both categories.

This is no small category.......and a popular one.....why wouldn't it have UPC/MPN options?

I have said before--and several eBay agents have agreed--that Halloween ( or Christmas, or Star Trek, or Mushrooms) are not categories, they are THEMES.
Halloween items come in many categories: apparel, books, collectibles, decor, electronics, etc.
A seller shouldn't have to choose whether to list a Halloween item as what it IS, or list it as a Halloween item.
For myself, I list it in the most appropriate category I can find, and put "Halloween" in the title.

Message 8 of 85
latest reply

In Seller Hub, Active Listings and Unsold Listings need to be on the same page like they used to be.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 9 of 85
latest reply

As has been previously reported the coin catalog is not functional. Many coins are being defaulted to the "error coin" category by choosing that coin in the catalog.

Many coins are also not coming up in the catalog at all. If I type in one date I get another etc.

Coinfacts catalog numbers still not searchable since the catalog changes.

Does ebay plan to fix this? What is the ETA on a fix?

I want to use the catalog but it isn't working properly and trying to use it is frustrating having to type in the info 100 different ways to try to get it to come up as a selection....... only to find that the coin category for the coin is the "error" category.
Message 10 of 85
latest reply

I guess I am a bit confused about structured data.  I try to be very complete when it comes to using item specifics.  I fill out all of them and more in hopes that it gives buyers more information.

But the catalog has me confused.  Every now and  when I list a "catalog" list of random (and I mean really random items) pops up.  None of them even seem related and none of them are even close to what I am listing. 

Is it my catagories?  Who is originally putting items in those catalogs and how do I put new items in there?  And why am I not give the option very often.

And lastly, is structured data a term you are using to encompass all of the ways that we are inputing information into out listings such as UPC, Item specifics, MPN?    I read that page about structured data but never saw a true "definition" for us less than tech savvy sellers.

Message 11 of 85
latest reply

When I create a listing, I’d like to know, in the listing process, how many items are currently showing on a “product page” for the item.

Message 12 of 85
latest reply

Again, relative to Product pages:  This one:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Corning-Ware-Spice-of-Life-5-QT-Casserole-Dish-Dutch-Oven-W-Lid/1830451421?_t...

is totally incorrect, the item shown is a Spice of Life Casserole, the Product Page id's it as  Blue Cornflower.

Problem is sellers are using the Size Designation from Corning as MSN  and that designation will be on all 5qt Casseroles........no matter what the pattern, and there are numerous patterns. 

Message 13 of 85
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

That downloadable report is a GREAT idea.  Just to expand on that, a bunch of filters for that report would be great.  As there may be some things a seller needs to find that Ebay wouldn't necessarily think of.  

I used to download a copy of the SOLD and UNSOLD pages at the end of every month, as a record of my activities. I could go back to see when the last time was that I listed a particular item, what I called it, what the main photo looked like, etc. 
The new formats of those pages make that impossible.
I would like the old format back OR a way to download some other compact report of that activity.

Message 14 of 85
latest reply

Has any progress been made in the cookbook category?  I believe new listing are still defaulting there?

Message 15 of 85
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: