cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 6 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on May 6th for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so please bring any general questions you may have about buying or selling.

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close thread from additional responses. After this time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

If you're new to the chat, welcome! Simply Reply to this post with your question from 1-2 PM Pacific Time and we'll be happy to look into it for you.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Community Chat, May 6 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rock4best wrote:

This is the problem. It is anonymous, you can't know for which item they credit you. Three months I am getting credit for two items without mention for which one as it supposed to be anonymous and nothing changed in my metrics. I can only guess which items were credited but can't know for sure. Can you help me?

Hi @rock4best, I'll take a look and see what I can find. I'll touch base with you via the email on file if there is anything else I need.

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@windhaze wrote:

Good afternoon. 🙂

Just wanted to mention that your new sign in page appears broken (I have seen other posts about it so assume it's not me.) 

It will only allow me to sign into this acct here but not my other one. The switch accts link even after other acct info is entered still signs me into this acct.

Clearing cookies, cache, etc makes no difference so I have to use a different browser to sign into my other acct. 

And idea of when this will be fixed? It's a pain in the neck. Thanks. 

Hi @windhaze - this is a technical issue, thanks for letting me know you've been impacted too! I don't have an estimated time of resolution, but the right teams are aware and working to resolve it. 

That's great news Tyler-thanks hope they get it fixed soon.

Have a great day and thanks for the prompt reply too. 🙂

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

Good afternoon guys,

I would like to address the concerns that the Managed Payments program fee changes in July is actually going to cost sellers more money than the current Paypal system in place.  More for every single seller on every single transaction. Yes the upcoming "simplified" FVF is 12.35% instead of the current ebay FVF + paypal 2.9% =12.99%..... but that is misleading because under MP the FVF is also charged on the state mandated sales tax also- right now we only pay paypal 2.9% on the tax as a processing fee. MP charges 12.35% so it is mathematically impossible for the fees in MP to be cheaper as promised since its inception. Many of us have done the math on many listings and it is simple Almost every seller will see an increase in fees for managed payments in July........ WHY?   Please do the math for yourself to see.

Another shocking point is that MP charges 1.65% international transaction fee PLUS a 3% fee to convert your $ to USD.  So that is an additional 4.65% FVF on all international sales upping the total fee to 17%.......Paypal charges us a flat 1.5% fee for the same service.

Brian or Trinton- Why is ebay increasing its fees to its customers during a world wide pandemic?   (Or at all)

At the very least I feel that as ebay's customers we deserve the truth and not to be told one thing and then do the opposite and hope we do not notice.   I even spoke with two different MP customer Service reps and they too were surprised by this slight of hand.

Any thoughts? 

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

Question as a seller. 

I'm trying to list homemade face masks (as Ebay encouraged us to do in an email). 

Every time I try, it gets pulled for a violation of the price gouge policy. 

I've list them 4 For $39.97 with free shipping, and they got pulled. I list them

at $12 each with free shipping and 3 of the 4 got pulled (why one was OK I have

no idea, they were all the same except for the design). 

Can Ebay tell me what prices I can sell these at? That way, I can list them and not

keep violating the policy.  Or am I doing something else wrong that this keeps 

happening? 

Thanks!

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

Hi Brian - I've had a 100 percent seller rating ever since I started selling. I contacted ebay support re a buyer who gave me a bad review for an item he says arrived broken, although he didn't report it for 11 days. Even though I refunded his money immediately, including shipping, he gave me a bad review to bring it down to 97.5 percent. I felt this was unfair (he wouldn't send me a photo of the real (sturdy) packaging only a weird posed photo so I could supply it to insurance) but ebay said nothing I can do about it. I noticed my rating just went up to 98. But slowly. Really?
Message 36 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@siamjane8 wrote:

Good afternoon guys,

I would like to address the concerns that the Managed Payments program fee changes in July is actually going to cost sellers more money than the current Paypal system in place.  More for every single seller on every single transaction. Yes the upcoming "simplified" FVF is 12.35% instead of the current ebay FVF + paypal 2.9% =12.99%..... but that is misleading because under MP the FVF is also charged on the state mandated sales tax also- right now we only pay paypal 2.9% on the tax as a processing fee. MP charges 12.35% so it is mathematically impossible for the fees in MP to be cheaper as promised since its inception. Many of us have done the math on many listings and it is simple Almost every seller will see an increase in fees for managed payments in July........ WHY?   Please do the math for yourself to see.

Another shocking point is that MP charges 1.65% international transaction fee PLUS a 3% fee to convert your $ to USD.  So that is an additional 4.65% FVF on all international sales upping the total fee to 17%.......Paypal charges us a flat 1.5% fee for the same service.

Brian or Trinton- Why is ebay increasing its fees to its customers during a world wide pandemic?   (Or at all)

At the very least I feel that as ebay's customers we deserve the truth and not to be told one thing and then do the opposite and hope we do not notice.   I even spoke with two different MP customer Service reps and they too were surprised by this slight of hand.

Any thoughts? 

Hi @siamjane8, I can only recommend that you contact the managed payments team directly to discuss your concerns in more detail. We aren't able to elaborate beyond the information that has been made available that would be more broadly applicable, and the account specific discussion you are looking for would be one our managed payments teams would be happy to have with you. You can find contact options for this team here.

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

@moretreasures4you wrote:

I received three negatives from a buyer whose account was hacked. (Items were sent to an address supplied by ebay to California and she lives in Colorado). I did everything possible to help her through the entire process. (There were 4 purchases in one box.) All of our messages went through eBays system. 

She filed a PayPal claim against me and of course it was closed in my favor. So she left me 3 negs, the 4th was a positive but negative language.

I immediately asked on each of the three for feedback removal. I was granted removal on one and not the other two. (We've removed the feedback as it does qualify under our removal policies. Please allow up to 72 hours for it to be removed from the feedback page, and thanks for your patience in the meantime.
The ratings you received for this transaction have also been removed and your scores will be automatically recalculated.)

My obvious question is why one and not the other two, they were all exactly the same, and my request was exactly the same. PLEASE help me!!!!!

@moretreasures4you it's strange that one was removed and not the others! I'll send this over for review. If the feedback is removed then it should be gone within a day or so. If there's any more info that you need to know then I'll email you separately 🙂

Brian,
Community Team
Message 38 of 47
latest reply

Thanks so much!!!!!
Message 39 of 47
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

Out of curiosity why do SNADs count against sellers when the buyer voluntarily closes the case they opened?

Overall the returns process has become increasingly combative and negative.  I miss the days when sellers were encouraged to work things out with their buyers.

Hi @gwzcomps - when it comes to Seller Performance, a return that is closed voluntarily is not counted. 

It sounds like you may be referring to Service Metrics, which is a measure of all requests opened with you, and compared to similar sellers in your category. This looks at open-rates, not the outcome or resolution, and is designed to help you identify trends in requests you're receiving for different categories of your business. 

If you're seeing an increase in returns that buyers are then voluntarily closing after you work with them, there may be an opportunity for you to better clarify process or a description. However, if it's a very rare occurrence, it shouldn't impact your business.

I sell electronics that require the user to understand how to use what they are buying.  Unfortunately due to the toxic environment eBay has created through their policies my buyers automatically assume I sold them junk when they can't figure something out.  I can say with confidence that 90%+ of my SNADs are due to user error or the buyer didn't read the listing.  I can start adding "Please don't buy my stuff" if you think it would help because I feel that is the only thing left I could add to my descriptions to protect my service metrics...  Otherwise there isn't much else I can improve on my end short of stop selling on eBay.

Hi @gwzcomps - definitely not suggesting that you stop selling on eBay! If you find that the number of these types of returns are pushing you into the Average or High/Very High range from where you're at now, it may be worth reviewing trends to see if there's a commonality. Otherwise by all appearances it looks like your account is doing very well considering the high return rate for the category you sell in. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 40 of 47
latest reply

Thanks. It is just easy to get frustrated with the looming threat over my head with every SNAD. I keep adapting, but if it comes down to it I will end all my listings before I pay that penalty fee. Hopefully it doesn't come to that point.
Message 41 of 47
latest reply

Unfortunately the MP team is kinda shocked at this development too. So far most that I have spoken to just believed the % cheaper FVF made the fees actually cheaper not realizing that by adding that same fee to the state sales tax that ebay collects as the facilitator places the fee burden on the seller's shoulders thereby raising the FVF anywhere from 2%- 16% over what we pay pay now. Of course it will be different with each seller /sale/state tax amount but it is a consistent site wide fee hike in July.   (except for the sneakers over $100 category that pays no FVF)

Trinton-  I have always wondered - why do some replies show up in new boxes and other replies stack on top of the original discussion with the lines that run down the left side?

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, the weekly chat is now closed for the day. We will continue to reply to any remaining questions. Thanks for joining us! 

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

@moretreasures4you wrote:
Thanks so much!!!!!

You're welcome! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 44 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@siamjane8 wrote:

Unfortunately the MP team is kinda shocked at this development too. So far most that I have spoken to just believed the % cheaper FVF made the fees actually cheaper not realizing that by adding that same fee to the state sales tax that ebay collects as the facilitator places the fee burden on the seller's shoulders thereby raising the FVF anywhere from 2%- 16% over what we pay pay now. Of course it will be different with each seller /sale/state tax amount but it is a consistent site wide fee hike in July.   (except for the sneakers over $100 category that pays no FVF)

Trinton-  I have always wondered - why do some replies show up in new boxes and other replies stack on top of the original discussion with the lines that run down the left side?

Hi @siamjane8, hopefully your next conversation with the managed payments team will be able to address your questions in more detail.

As for the lines you are seeing in some posts, those will appear when someone uses the quote feature. When you reply you can select the " symbol above the comment box to quote the post you are replying to. Since we do not currently have the discussion boards set up to "thread" conversations (threading is the process of placing any replies to a comment directly under the original comment), using the quote feature helps to clarify who and what is being replied to 🙂

Message 45 of 47
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: