cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 29 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on May 29 for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. No set topic for the week, so feel free to share any general buying and selling questions you have. 

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close it down for additional questions and continue to work on responding to any remaining queries.

If you are new to the chat, welcome! Simply reply to this post with your question after 1 pm and we'll be happy to look into it slight_smile

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Below you will find a recap of our Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team for May 29, 2019. We hope to see you at our next chat!

Managed Payments

What exactly is the new "per listings sold fee" associated with eBay managed payments?

This fee update was part of some amendments to the payments terms of use and we notified all managed payments sellers of the updates earlier this week. Sellers currently not enrolled in managed payments were not notified so if you aren’t currently enrolled, you would not have received a message from us about this change.

To clarify a per-listing payments fee works like this— for example, if a buyer purchases two $5 items from you with the same eBay item number (that is, multiple quantities from the same listing), you would be charged a $0.25 per-listing payments fee. If a buyer purchases two $5 items from you from different listings, you would be charged a $0.25 per-listing payments fee twice.

We generally find the most buyers place orders for a single listing, and when buyers do purchase more than one listing in an order the items are often from different sellers. For the occasions when buyers do purchase multiple items, it is often multiple quantities of the same item. If you sell multiple quantities of the same item from the same listing (i.e. different colors of the same item) this would be counted as one per listing payments fee.

To learn more about managed payments and express your interest, go here.

Does eBay have any suggestions for those sellers who specialize in selling multiple low price items as to how they can adapt to the per listing fee?

As with any business, a seller must factor their costs into the price of their goods. Only you can set the right price for your items that will cover the cost of merchandise, selling fees, shipping, etc. and also provide you with the desirable margin of profit.

I’ve requested before that the managed payments team participate in a weekly chat here on the boards. Is there any update on when this might happen?

We're working with this team to figure out the best format for a Q&A session. It may be a live chat, but we think having a place where you can submit questions so we can come back with answers at a later time might work better. With payments and financial information, we want to make sure that all information is accurate and that may require us having more time to research questions.  

Sometimes when I contact the managed payments team directly I do not receive answers to my questions. How can I get the information that I need for this program?

If you are not having the experience we would expect for you when contacting us, the Community Team will be happy to look into these conversations for appropriate coaching or clarification. We would just need to know the account you contacted Customer Service regarding, and the date & time of your call to investigate.

I’m concerned with delays on shipment due to long processing times for some credit cards. Don’t some take up to 7 days?

We aim to pay you as fast as possible. While processing times can vary, the typical time for credit card payments to clear is not longer than 4 days (with many closer to 2 days).

Does eBay inform sellers it is OK to ship before payment has cleared?

A seller will be notified to ship as soon as payment processes. Once an item appears is flagged as Awaiting shipment, a seller should ship the item out to their customer.

If seller do follow these instructions and ship immediately and the payment comes back as declined, how does eBay handle this?

A seller will only be notified to ship after payment has been processed, so there would be no concerns of shipping the item out and then the payment declining.

When did/does a Variable rate come into effect instead of the 2.7% that's been advertised?

While we do not have specific examples to provide, you can check the your rate using this link.

CBD

I sell hemp products. We previously used the acronym "CBD" as a marketing strategy but have since ceased that campaign due to eBay's flowing changes in policy. Our listings were recently removed despite not having CBD oil or indicating in any way that it is a CBD product. Can someone look into this for me?

We want to start by clarifying that we don't allow the sale of CBD products on the site in any form. Since laws and regulations regarding CBD vary globally, we’ve made the decision to not allow these items on our site. If the items involved contain CBD oil, they would not be appropriate for our platform. If you have further questions concerning the specific removal of your items I'd suggest contacting Customer Support so they can work with you directly and elaborate on the action we took or work to resolve any mistake we may have made.

Packing Slips

Why was the price removed from the packing slip?

Inaccuracies on the packing slip format were a factor in the decision to remove pricing information, as the tax rate that was displayed was inaccurate (though the tax rate assessed was correct).

Why couldn’t eBay just fix the way tax was displayed on the packing slip?

This would have been ideal, of course! We worked to address the issue but when it became apparent that a timely fix would not be possible, we instead removed the information altogether to minimize the negative impact this problem would cause. We are working on a new Packing Slip with improvements to be released later this year, which will once again include the price, shipping, and tax paid by the buyer. In the meantime, your buyers can view the amount they paid in their purchase history and our sellers can print out invoices from Seller Hub that include the price paid.

Why was there no notice?

eBay is always working to improve the site and the features that we offer and as a part of that objective, we regularly make changes or run tests to enhance our platform. It isn’t feasible to communicate through a formal update every change that we make, and we aim to strike a balance with our announcements so as not to overwhelm our Community with numerous minor changes. Sometimes we miss the mark and something we assess as low impact needs additional attention or context. Feedback from our Community helps us identify these instances so we can better identify when to proactively provide information in the future.

Why is the option to mark the shipment as a gift and remove pricing information still available if pricing is not included anyway?

We have gotten this feedback over to the appropriate teams for review and will work on removing any unnecessary options that might be causing confusion.

I use the packing slip as a way of keeping a record of sales tax I’ve collected for when I file my taxes. What am I supposed to do now?

You can print invoices or use the reporting tools available in Seller Hub to get this info. Steps to print an invoice are included below:

• In Seller Hub click the drop down arrow on the sold item
  • Select Print shipping labels or invoices
  • Select Invoice/packing slip
  • Select Continue
  • Print an invoice with prices included

Would it be possible to have the new packing slip shared with us in advance so we could provide some seller insight?

No promises, but the team working on this feature would be happy to get some feedback from our sellers on the new process later this year slight_smile

Request Invoice

Recently some of my buyers said that they couldn't request an invoice from me and only could pay. Do you know what is going on with requesting invoices?

Requesting an invoice from the shopping cart is something a buyer can do as long as you allow combined payments and are not offering any other types of discounts (markdown manager, promotions manager, etc). Additionally, there are other ways for you and a buyer to arrange for a discount - from a Private Offer via a question they ask on an item to a buyer's ability to Make an offer on items with the feature enabled. These are built in ways that wouldn't require a buyer to request an invoice from you. We are also happy to look into any examples you can provide and report potential issues to our tech teams.

Limited Account

When I call in to Customer Service I hear a notice through the automated system that my account is limited, but nobody can tell me why. What is going on?

This message typically means that there is a restriction or limitation on your account that would have been communicated to you via eBay messages or email. When looking into this specific example, it looks like there is nothing on the account that would cause this and there is an error with our automated system. We will have this reviewed for a fix, but in the meantime you are welcome to disregard this message as it has no impact on your account.

Quick Relist Feature

There used to be a Quick Relist feature that allowed me to relist items that did not require changes in seconds. Now it’s taking me 30-60 seconds to relist my items. Can you bring the previous process back?

The relist option currently available seems to be the same number of clicks as before (two) so shouldn't be taking significantly more time. If you find this is taking more time due to the loading time of your computer or the time you are spending scrolling, we recommend you look into relisting/editing in bulk so you can relist everything you would like to relist at the same time.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 59 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the chat! slight_smile

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

I have several questions about managed payments as I have personally asked a few times in recent weeks to have managed payments team to participate in this chat.

I have confusion about your new "per listings sold fee" associated with eBay managed payments?

If this new managed payment fee is called a "per listings sold fee" as written in your payments terms of use click here what does this exactly mean?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

I sell hemp products. We previously used the acronym "CBD" as a marketing strategy but have since ceased that campaign due to eBay's flowing changes in policy. Our listings were recently removed sue to the listing containing ?Anza Cali? which was classified as a cntrolled substance according to the CSA or Controlled Substances Act. I did some research and discovered that CBD isn't even on the controlled substances list as of May 02, 2019; this was discovered using the Uniform Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. 801 et seq sited in the drug section of eBay's policy and message to me at the time of removal. I was able to get my selling privileges back but I am a bit lost as to why and how ?anza Cali? is a controlled substance according to eBay as per the Uniform Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. 801 et seq. We provide quality products at an affordable cost and wish to continue to do so and would love some real answers as to whats going on as this appears to be targeted and unfair business practices on behalf of eBay. We wish to continue to have a safe and fair online marketplace but I believe eBay has gone too far with this on. I have attached a copy of the message so you may better assist me in resolving the situation. Thank you for your time and effort looking into this matter.Ebay message.PNG

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

Recently, with NO announcement, ebay changed the layout of the packing slip page, removing pricing information

My questions:

1, WHY was this done?  The Packing Slip has always had (and, inexplicably, still has, an option to edit the slip to remove pricing information). So why has ebay now decided to remove the info, rather than permit us to remove it if we so choose?

2. WHY was there no notice? eBay has promised time and again to announce changes like this, but once again, ebay sellers are forced to play the highly unpopular guessing game: Glitch, Test, or Policy Change? Not only was there no announcement, there wasn't even a little pop up in the packing list flow, saying something like: We've made a change! Pricing information has been removed from Packing Lists!  A little pop up is the least you guys could have given us, but.....nothing. Seriously, this sort of disregard for your sellers is REALLY getting old. It may not be intentional disregard, but it is impossible for sellers to see it as much of anything else. And "disregard" is the nicest way I can put it.  Let me make a suggestion, as someone who has sold on ebay for 20 years and would like to continue selling here for a long time to come: Do NOT try to decide whether a change should be announced in some way. Do NOT try to guess about how many sellers might be impacted, how many will be confused, etc, without an announcement. Don't do that, because you have a long track record of being wrong when you do that. It's really this simple: A product team makes a change? The product team ensures that the change is announced, either in the Announcements section or in a pop up on the effected page. That's it. No guesswork, no too late, after-the-fact telling the team they should have announced, just DO IT. A grateful ebay nation would applaud.

3. WHY is the option still there to remove pricing information? If you are going to make a change, make the change correctly, not half-a, er, half finished. This reminds me of the store edit function, which tells us we can edit our ebay stores to show grid or list, and choose the search order results. The options are there, but they DON'T work and haven't worked since you eliminated them. But they are STILL there, with NO notice that they are non-functional. Just one more thing to aggravate and confuse sellers. Continuing to have the option to remove prices when ebay has ALREADY removed prices is about as useful as teats on a bull. 

This may seem like a minor matter, but multiply this by the many similar situations that arise on ebay, and you have a prescription for seller dissatisfaction. In the highly competitive climate that is today's ecommerce world, it is WAY past time for ebay to ENSURE proper notice for changes like this, and for ebay to correctly implement the changes themselves. You guys tout the "efficiencies" you are bringing to Seller Hub, etc, so that we can concentrate on what matters, but then you do stuff like this, which literally WASTES seller's valuable time, as we try to figure out why the packing slip is screwed up.
Message 5 of 59
latest reply

How is it possible that eBay can’t fix a packing slip? Removing the dollar amount and tax information is vital to some of us. PLEASE tell me eBay is going correct this.
Message 6 of 59
latest reply

According to 'Jen', she posted the following:

Hi @labs118,

This fee update was part of some amendments to the payments terms of use and we notified all managed payments sellers of the updates earlier this week. Sellers currently not enrolled in managed payments were not notified.

To clarify a per-listing payments fee works like this— for example, if a buyer purchases two $5 items from you with the same eBay item number (that is, multiple quantities from the same listing), you would be charged a $0.25 per-listing payments fee. If a buyer purchases two $5 items from you from different listings, you would be charged a $0.25 per-listing payments fee twice.

Learn more about managed payments on Seller Center and express your interest here.

Best,
Jen

However, it would be nice if the Community team could expound and/or clarify.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 59
latest reply

@mavericktradingpost wrote:
How is it possible that eBay can’t fix a packing slip? Removing the dollar amount and tax information is vital to some of us. PLEASE tell me eBay is going correct this.

It is not a "fix" thing. It has been stated that this is how they are going to do "packing slips".  Have not seen the reason why.

We have been assured that it does not happen, but right after I posted my displeasure with eBays new packing slips (not showing the $$$ amount of the item sold, shipping & handling (if any), sales tax (if any) my problem with it was resolved by sales abruptly dropping to zero, none, nada, zip.

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mavericktradingpost wrote:

Hi @mavericktradingpost, this isn't an issue that is awaiting a fix, but instead an intentional change to how this formats. You can still print an invoice with the price if you feel this is needed for your shipment by following the steps below:

• In Seller Hub click the drop down arrow on the sold item
  • Select Print shipping labels or invoices
  • Select Invoice/packing slip
  • Select Continue
  • Print an invoice with prices included

Your buyer is still able to review the price they paid and any applicable taxes from their Purchase History/Order Details pages. 

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

By definition, a packing slip contains no prices. eBay has been providing sellers with an invoice and is calling it a packing list. I would like to see both options on the label page: either a "paid invoice" or a "packing slip".

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 10 of 59
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hi @labs118,

This fee update was part of some amendments to the payments terms of use and we notified all managed payments sellers of the updates earlier this week. Sellers currently not enrolled in managed payments were not notified.

Learn more about managed payments on Seller Center and express your interest here.

Best,
Jen

However, it would be nice if the Community team could expound and to and/or clarify.

I understand the policy as it is explained to me by eBay managed payments team members both in phone and email correspondences.  I am offering the eBay staff the opportunity to put it in writing for future use should we need to look back on it.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

I have several questions about managed payments as I have personally asked a few times in recent weeks to have managed payments team to participate in this chat.

I have confusion about your new "per listings sold fee" associated with eBay managed payments?

If this new managed payment fee is called a "per listings sold fee" as written in your payments terms of use click here what does this exactly mean?

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling

We're working with the Payments team to figure out the best format for a Q&A session. It may be a live chat but I think having a place where you can submit questions and we come back with answers at a later time might work better. With payments and financial information, we want to make sure that all information is accurate and that may require us having more time to research questions.  

Here is more info on the fee: 

A per-listing payments fee works like this— example, if a buyer purchases two $5 items from you with the same eBay item number (that is, multiple quantities from the same listing), you would be charged only one payment listing fee of $0.25 plus the variable processing fee (i.e. a percentage based on the total amount of the sale).

If a buyer purchases two items from you from different listings, you would be charged the per listing payment fee of $0.25 twice, plus the variable payments processing fee (i.e. variable rate as % of sale + per listing payments fee).

We generally find the most buyers place orders for a single listing, and when buyers do purchase more than one listing in an order the items are often from different sellers. On the occasions when buyers do purchase multiple items, it is often multiple quantities of the same item. If you sell multiple quantities of the same item from the same listing (i.e. different colors of the same item) this would be counted as one per listing payments fee.

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

Do you know what is going on with requesting invoices? Recently I worked out discounts with several different buyers. I wanted to be able to charge them less in shipping. They said that they couldn't request an invoice from me and only could pay. Then I had to refund the overpayment.

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hi @labs118,

Best,
Jen

However, it would be nice if the Community team could expound and/or clarify.

I agree as this is a serious and expensive change for many sellers.  We need to be proactive about this change and not reactive [waiting until it affects us].  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 59
latest reply

Good idea!  Smiley Happy

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 15 of 59
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: