cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 19 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Community Chat, May 19 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay.com

Hi Tyler 

Could you send me a pm that I can reply to as Ebay has created a problem with my other account that is read only

------

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 46 of 63
latest reply

@hebertsusedautoparts wrote:

Tyler, 

I was able to get in touch with the buyer and it was correct for his vehicle, we shipped and every one is happy.

I just wanted to report it if there is such a place to report as I am sure this issue may span over a multitude of auto parts and well, it's already a pretty tough category to sell in when customers don't ask questions or think they know what fits but add to that the fitment chart telling them it fits when it doesn't just becomes a nightmare. 

Thanks 

Oh I'm glad that this transaction at least has a happy ending! I'm currently trying to find the right team to get your feedback to so we can make sure the compatibility tool is accurate. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 47 of 63
latest reply

this has been my point for a long time -- that ebay needs product category experts.  HOWEVER, when they tried to recruit them, the sellers felt it was going to be too much work for no reward.  but, we DO need people like you contributing.

Message 48 of 63
latest reply

This is something I commented on earlier: when a required IS is either irrelevant or unavailable for the item, eBay doesn't allow a seller to say that. The only choice is to remove the item. This doesn't help ANYONE.

Message 49 of 63
latest reply

Hello,

I have been selling on eBay since the early 2000s, and I take great pride in providing excellent service to my buyers. I haven't sold anything since last year, therefore the new "Managed Payment" program was truly new to me. I was surprised that eBay has resorted to such a program meant to punish fraudulent sellers, yet it punishes the good sellers, like me, as well. Like most people, I am doing everything I can to make extra money during the pandemic. As soon as I had a break from school, I cleaned out my closet and listed some shoes on eBay, which sold immediately, and I was expecting the money to be available to me instantly like it was before. I was appalled to learn that it would take up to a week to reach my bank account under this new program. In addition, the fees seem to be much higher under this new regime. I shipped the item yesterday, and I found out the funds will not be in my bank for 3 to 5 days. That is a really long time when times are tough like they are. 

eBay, sellers are your business, and you should not treat all of us like criminals. I have no idea what happened between eBay and Paypal, but I really prefer having my funds go to Paypal and be available immediately. I'm seriously considering leaving eBay. I feel like eBay does not care about its sellers, and when the executives decide to increase the revenue, the first place it comes out of is the seller. I just had to give my feedback and let you know how I feel. 

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 50 of 63
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

What annoys me about the new Required Item Specifics is that the answer to the question being asked is either not available or not relevant for the particular item, and there is NO reply I can make for that IS that eBay will accept.

I really enjoy the ones that are required that make no sense.  Like when I am listing a power supply in the power supply.  I am expected to supply a "type".  Why?  it is a power supply in the power supply category.  No type is needed.

Message 51 of 63
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's now closed but we will continue to go through and ensure that questions receive a reply. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 52 of 63
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I may be crazy.........I'm sure some would not argue that point, but sometime in the last wk, with the demise of the "adult" category, there was a also a reference that books with profanity were also banned.....  I believe I @Brian or Tyler on it.......  I can't find the reference or the original message......  May I assume this was an error of some kind?  If not, we're talking about most major popular authors......???? 

@dhbookds I can see why that wording is concerning. The wording you mention was specific to items that are currently listed in the Adult Only categories. If a book was ok to list outside of the Adult Only category prior to this change then it is still ok to list now. However, Adult Only books that contain the content mentioned in the policy update, including profanity, will not be allowed on eBay going forward.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 53 of 63
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

I see item specifics coming up a lot in this chat as well as the Boards in general. Could we get a real explanation for the need for this. eBay's specifics go way beyond what most ecommerce use. Many of the specifics where I sell antiques and collectibles show only a couple of hundred of searches by a specific and basically most are irrelevant by the way people buy in those categories'.

Most sites maybe have up to 5 specifics to narrow a search and that seems like a lot given the power of search to begin with. In fact, I fear specific over use will actually hurt sales.  Part of shopping, for many items not all, is to exposed to possibilities.

Sure, if I am looking for a specific part or item number specifics can help (however, also solved by a good title and description). However, if I am looking for sneakers maybe if it gets too narrow I could actually miss something I might like.

Like so many things on eBay these days, I'd like the following answered in non-marketing speak: 1) what problem is item specifics solving ( data here not theory) 2) what is is the umber of specifics where adding more is a diminishing return 3) why do they have to mandatory? If in fact item specifics can increase sales,  sellers will catch on and organically move to use them more. Early adopters will be rewarded and others will eventually learn.  4) some people will always just want to write titles. What's the harm its their business afterall, and

5) What's the long term plan? Clearly, this is headed toward something else. Transparency on forward movement seems something that should be shared with buyers and sellers who actually keep the platform a float.

To me yet another example of eBay becoming a party to the transactions.

You're not wrong, we mostly hear about item specifics when there's a change to categories or other updates. 

To answer your questions:

1)   Item specifics help increase the visibility of your listings on both eBay and on external search engines. The more data you give us about what you’re selling, the better we can match your item to what a buyer is looking for, either through query search, left-hand navigation filters or category merchandising pages.

2) I'm not able to quantify that for you.  The only time item specifics would harm a listing is if a seller is entering specifics that do not match the item listed.

3) Ultimately as a platform, we want to connect buyers to your items. This includes making sure our search options can provide relevant items when they use filters. The most effective way to make sure the filters are working efficiently across items is to make sure all sellers are following this best practice.

4) We're in the business to help our sellers make sales, so ensuring sellers are following best practices that we know will help them have a successful business is part of the expectations and requirements we set on the platform. We don't want our sellers to be discouraged and leave the site. 

5)  The long-term plan is to make it easy for buyers to find the items they want and bring sales to our sellers. We'll continue to make improvements towards that aim, though the particulars aren't something I can share. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 54 of 63
latest reply

@funsationalfinds wrote:

I am still struggling with item specifics and category changes for the last week. I use Inkfrog Open for my listings. I don't even know which listings are a problem until I try to change the price and get an error. I then find there is no category listed and I have to select another category. For most I am selecting 

Toys & Hobbies > Stuffed Animals > Other Stuffed Animals

But then after I save the listing it does not show the new category.  It might still be showing the old category but I don't know which category they were in.

Are my listings being found in search? Are my item specifics copying over or are they being lost?

Hi @funsationalfinds - making sure that you have item specifics filled in, a good title and photos will help ensure your items are able to be found in search. 

When it comes to your items specifics copying over I don't have any information on that, but we've requested more information and will update you as we hear back!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 55 of 63
latest reply

@tincan630 wrote:

Why can I no longer get a drop down list of MY  PREVIOUS SEARCHES ? Now all I get is recent searches , saved searches and saved sellers, all of which are useless.  Now I have to go to advanced search to find what I want to search for . Very tedious and time consuming. Please remedy this problem!

@tincan630 thanks for the feedback! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 56 of 63
latest reply

@papermoney1948 wrote:

tyler@ebay.com

Hi Tyler 

Could you send me a pm that I can reply to as Ebay has created a problem with my other account that is read only

Hi @papermoney1948 - I can't provide account specific customer support, but I'll reach out for more detail!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 57 of 63
latest reply

@hebertsusedautoparts wrote:

Tyler, 

I was able to get in touch with the buyer and it was correct for his vehicle, we shipped and every one is happy.

I just wanted to report it if there is such a place to report as I am sure this issue may span over a multitude of auto parts and well, it's already a pretty tough category to sell in when customers don't ask questions or think they know what fits but add to that the fitment chart telling them it fits when it doesn't just becomes a nightmare. 

Thanks 

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Hi @hebertsusedautoparts - I heard back on this one really quickly! I've gotten this report to the right team, but they ask that if you find any issues like this in the future to email them directly at: Dl-eBay-CatalogSubmission@ebay.com

They also mention if you use any interchanges (like Hollander's) and you see information is incorrect there you would want to contact them directly. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 58 of 63
latest reply

@nuclearomen I have no doubt the cases were still open. The inaccurate information is that open cases would prevent buyers from purchasing from a seller. That is not correct and is not how our system works.

Have a mark on Service Metrics is not enough to impact a sellers account. I definitely understand why having  a Service Metric mark is concerning, but I do want to assure you that unless the account is 'Very High' then these marks have no impact on the sellers account.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 59 of 63
latest reply

@c.b. wrote:

brian@ebay - hey brian - i sent you an email with an issue... never heard back.  did you get it?

@c.b. I don't see your reply to my email. Would you mind sending it again? Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 60 of 63
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: