cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 19 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Community Chat, May 19 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@nuclearomen wrote:

tyler@ebay brian@ebay brittanie@ebay 

On the other subject of Item Specifics for Music > Records category, as an expert in vinyl (my knowledge on the format is extensive is what I mean, I’ve been dealing vinyl over 25 years now, I’ve manufactured it, released it, distributed it for 25 years, did label / distro + I also did many art works and layouts for the format over the years for bands and labels).

The item specifics for Music > Records category that ebay made are ridiculous. But let me explain why, not just saying they are ridiculous just to do so or because I had to update tons of listings, the points I make here are justifiable and valid!

Ebay changed the REQUIRED specifics and added Required + ADDITONAL specifics. OK, but the new fields under REQUIRED are not only dumb they have either no business being the specifics at all or should not be in the REQUIRED and/or they repeat twice and then again in additional fields. Half of the ADDITIONAL specifics SHOULD be in the REQUIRED and some of the REQUIRED should be eliminated altogether and/or in the ADDITIONAL. Let me explain: In the REQUIRED now states that fields of MATERIAL, INLAY CONDITION, CASE TYPE, and TYPE are required, all new specifics ebay made and placed in REQUIRED.

MATERIAL: this should be ELIMINATED completely. The options ebay gives are just silly, there is no way to actually know the exact compounds and resins vinyl manufacturer used to make the make the vinyl and the options of PVC, Shellac, Victrolac, Vinyl are the dumbest things I’ve ever seen! This will not only lead to confusing to sellers, it will indeed confuse buyers, there is no reason this option should have been created, no one searches for this through ebay search, no one asks this of vinyl purchase, most 99.9% of people don’t even understand that and how vinyl is made from resin compounds and the resins used vary greatly between time periods of the formats existence, type of vinyl being made, color and process a vinyls needs to go through and determine the resins used, opaque or not, if the vinyl has high fidelity mastering and if the vinyl was made from traditional glass master or used newer technology called DMM (Direct Metal Mastering – it’s a newer process around about 20 year now, it’s the same process used to make traditional glass master but the process is reversed and it’s done on metal plates instead of glass, the result is superior sound quality but a lot extra to be done, generally between $300-$500 extra to have DMM the master being supplied for duplication also has to be sound mastered for DMM).

CASE TYPE: Should be eliminated or at least moved to ADDITIONAL section. 90% of vinyl is made with a cardboard jacket, be it single record jacket, gatefold (deluxe) jacket, tri-fold jacket etc… it’s always cardboard 90% of the time. The other options vinyl manufactures offer are CASEWRAPPED – this is cardboard, but it’s wrapped in material, that material can be extensive, from cloth bound to leather and faux leather, to felts, so on and so forth. The next is HARDBOUND jacket, this is same as hardcover book, option that is not used often but is done, awfully expensive. The last is DIGIPACK jacket – ultra rare and usually never done, again, awfully expensive, usually only done for the format of CD’s where the cost is much less. The options ebay supplies here are relevant to vinyl for packaging, but they shouldn’t be REQURIED but rather ADDITIONAL. Other vinyl’s (usually very, very cheap productions) are made with a Paper Sleeve these days, much more relevant with old vinyl or old 45’s that were made/distributed for juke boxes and then obtained by collectors later. 7” EP’s were the most common to have Paper Sleeve, especially older 45’s (big center hole) and even still used today for 7” but most labels take more pride in the what they release and have a single cardboard jacket made these days or even gatefold.

INLAY CONDITION: again, shouldn’t be REQUIRED but ADDITIONAL specification. Also here ebay needs to change the options provided they are not only flawed but do not allow seller to enter custom condition, something that should ALWAYS be able to do. Ebay supplied options on Mint to the grade of Worn, but the second option supplied after Mint is stated incorrectly, it’s listed as NEAR MINT (NM or M-) no such grade!! The grade is supposed to be (M – NM) not (NM – M-) – lol… who ever made these obviously doesn’t know what they are doing or talking about! Also, the option missing that needs to be added is the option of NEW – why? Because grades should only be used to represent pre-owned vinyl. Many sellers like myself, only sell NEW vinyl, meaning unused/unplayed = NEW, this is also true for the fields of Sleeve and Record Grading, those options should also always include the option of NEW – ALL my listings for vinyl have NEW and only NEW – we do not grade new unused/unplayed vinyl – only pre-owned vinyl and vinyl that contain jackets where damaged occurred during shipping (i.e. dented corners / creases / tears to the jacket – Vinyl itself is Mint/NM) – in all truth NO vinyl should ever receive the grade of MINT state – this is grade reserved for the most extreme cases where most expects will never rate vinyls as Mint state because there is always some flaw, be it most miniscule you could think of and not even noticeable by most. Most people rate NM – M

TYPE: Needs to be eliminated altogether, because it’s already stated under the field of Duration, it’s the same thing as Type, if a Duration is LP or Double LP or EP, etc… then the type is the same.

FORMAT: NEEDS to be required of course, but the fields need to be expanded and/or allow CUSTOM input, because there are things not listed like SHAPPED VINYL or VINYL FLEXI’s as an example.

ADDITONAL specifics that SHOULD be REQUIRED specifics:

Record Size: Options in this field should also be expanded or allow seller to enter CUSTOM. It has most common sizes supplied but it’s still missing some oddity sizing such as 8” and 9”, 13” and 15” vinyl (yes, they exists, odd and rare, but none the less).

Speed: RPM: (pretty obvious)

Style: Required has Genre, but Style is just as important as Genre, especially for Metal where tons of style (sub-genres) exist.

Edition: (pretty obvious again)

Language (obviously)

Features: (obviously, go hand in hand with Edition)

ADDITIONAL requirements that SHOULD be removed altogether:

Catalog Number (not needed when your listing edition, releasing label, year, etc…)

Color: it’s stated usually in the listing title and the description, I always photograph the actual vinyl (see my listings) but many sellers use stock photo of the album cover only and no specifics or description…so I understand why ebay placed it though.

MPN: Manufactures Part Number, this should be REMOVED because there is no source or database that records MPN’s. They were instituted for the vinyl manufactures to be able to catalog the master plates and if there was issue with the pressing and masters need to be remade. Only people who have these numbers recorded are the manufactures and the labels who order the pressings – where that number isn’t even needed, only the labels catalog number and original order numbers are needed to repress vinyl from the same master. The series of numbers and letters etched on a vinyls center around the label means many different things, they tell what manufacturer pressed the vinyl to the engineer who cut the master…all of which is great blank aera in the industry for non-information available. Some experts know where a vinyl was pressed based off the number but these numbers were never recorded and change often and are very hard to trace in many cases.

Fidelity Level: This needs to be REMOVED completely. Most sellers won’t even known the correct answer and in turn will leave confusion with buyers, opening sellers up to INAD claims.

------

Edit: A reply to your comments can be found here

I'd like to add, most 45s don't have an "Album Name" which is a new Required Field. However, some 45s mention on the label the name of the Album they come from, but most are just A&B Song Titles. So this field could be very confusing.
I think it's very redundant to fill this field in when it's already a part of your Listing Title and most likely you Item Description body. 

Message 31 of 63
latest reply

I'm a little late to the punch, but I agree with the complaints people have been making when it comes to your clueless devs screwing up item specifics.  Kinda applies to site changes in general though.  If your devs aren't smart enough to make intelligent site changes, and migrate important data to new systems do they really deserve a job?  I am sure other companies are like this, but eBay feels like one of the worst when it comes to rewarding employee mediocrity.  If you can't manage your site and your employees maybe it is time to go out of business.

Message 32 of 63
latest reply

brittanie@ebay wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I was under the impression that the new "Listings Quality Report" has rolled out to everyone, but I'm seeing some sellers indicating they don't have it. I do have it, but I'm wondering: has it rolled out to everyone? And if so, is there some qualification that must be met in order to receive it?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques - Great question! The last update I have is that we would have this report available to all store sellers in the US around the end of 2020 and that we would continue rolling it out through 2021 to other sellers. I don't have a timeframe around when all sellers should see it though.

No sign of any "Listing Quality Report" in my account.  In the past, eBay recommendations for enhancing listings were not particularly helpful. Will this be any different? Item specifics defined by eBay have not been that helpful to buyers. My listings are generated from inventory, condition attributes, and item specifics based on Scott Catalog definitions. Building listings is an automated process with manual review to shorten titles if necessary. Unfortunately, eBay item specifics definitions and filters in the Stamps category do not match Scott catalog definitions and there is no item specific for the Scott catalog number. Potential buyers who start with a catalog number are often disappointed by the number of false positives from unwanted hits from irrelevant numbers in titles.

It would be helpful to see the Google shopping tab. Will recommendations be affected by the disconnect between stamp marketplace terminology and eBay item specifics or the lack of a catalog number item specific or no defined item condition values for "Used" and "Unused"?

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 33 of 63
latest reply

eBay doesn't listen to its users.

eBay doesn't test its changes. 

They rarely do either and no amount of asking will change that.

Message 34 of 63
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

brittanie@ebay wrote:

I was under the impression that the new "Listings Quality Report" has rolled out to everyone, but I'm seeing some sellers indicating they don't have it. I do have it, but I'm wondering: has it rolled out to everyone? And if so, is there some qualification that must be met in order to receive it?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques - Great question! The last update I have is that we would have this report available to all store sellers in the US around the end of 2020 and that we would continue rolling it out through 2021 to other sellers. I don't have a timeframe around when all sellers should see it though.

brittanie@ebay  - can you check in with @endeavourtoys  on this thread please?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Introducing-the-Listing-Quality-Report/m-p/31882420/highlight/...

They have a basic store subscription but don't have access to that report and would like to.

@valueaddedresource - Thank you for alerting me to this thread. I've confirmed they don't have the report and have contacted the team that worked on this for further information. I will follow up when I know more.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 35 of 63
latest reply

Why can I no longer get a drop down list of MY  PREVIOUS SEARCHES ? Now all I get is recent searches , saved searches and saved sellers, all of which are useless.  Now I have to go to advanced search to find what I want to search for . Very tedious and time consuming. Please remedy this problem!

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 36 of 63
latest reply

brian@ebay 

brian@ebay wrote:

@nuclearomen it sounds like you were given inaccurate information from the agent about the cases on your account. Having open cases on a sellers account does not restrict buyers from purchasing from them. Additionally, Service Metrics will not impact a sellers account unless they are rated 'Very High'. If you are not rated 'Very High' then Service Metrics are not impacting your account. 

This is also true for your seller level. If these cases have not changed your seller level (for example, if you were Top Rated and are still Top Rated) then it indicates these cases did not have an impact your seller level standing. 

Our teams constantly monitor the site to see if site traffic, sales volume, etc. are impacted when changes roll out. There are no confirmed site issues that are impacting sales in the manner you've described.

It's true that our site engineers do not take phone calls as that would consume the vast majority of their time. Instead, their time is spent working on the site. A primary role of customer service is to document potential site issues and send them to our tech teams for review. 

If you'd like to speak with the payments team then you can go here and select 'Have us call you' at the bottom of the page. A member of the payments team will contact you and answer your payments related questions.

I don't think it's inaccurate information if I never mentioned the claims but the rep seen then as opened and closed them...how is that inaccurate? My service metrics TRS 100% but they do still list defect rates from those claims - one at least I had NOTHING to do with, which is reflected under the music category where I never had any claim etc... Now maybe the level I am at doesn't "effect" me, but the fact the defect is listed is just example of where ebay is doing sellers wrong - no validity to the INAD claim - which means any defect be it on seller performance or metrics shouldn't be there at all and completely removed. 

Your teams DO NOT monitor the site when changes are rolled out, if they did the community boards wouldn't be filled with all the complaints from glitch/issues/tools not working etc... for EXTENSIVE amount of time periods (talking weeks/months - not a day or so) - when sellers report the issues they are ignored and not fixed in general. The boards here are full of the proof of this. 

I do not mean talk to an engineer in IT - i mean should be connected to the IT dept - reps who take calls and file tickets can be located and trained in that specific dept where as now you get a general rep with no idea or knowledge of what you are talking about. 

I don't need payments team, it was an just an example, but many many people have reported not being able to contact managed payments via phone or chat, they regularly cut support and shut lines/chat down.  

_____

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 37 of 63
latest reply

brittanie@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

brittanie@ebay wrote:

brittanie@ebay  - can you check in with @endeavourtoys  on this thread please?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Introducing-the-Listing-Quality-Report/m-p/31882420/highlight/...

They have a basic store subscription but don't have access to that report and would like to.

@valueaddedresource - Thank you for alerting me to this thread. I've confirmed they don't have the report and have contacted the team that worked on this for further information. I will follow up when I know more.

Thank you brittanie@ebay !

Message 38 of 63
latest reply

@og-s.cards wrote:

No, you should not waste your time. I have worked on a few listings. The "required specifics" are not even saving half the time. Furthermore, some of the required specifics are not relevant at best or require me to basically lie to buyers.

I have decided I will not update item specifics. I have requested that eBay revert those changes to the old listing system until they do two things:

1) Ask the seller community if they want it. AND LISTEN.

2) Then, actually test the listings to make sure it is not bugged and fails on roll-out.

I agree on the not wasting time part.  With how eBay actively suppresses our listings and how broken the search engine is there is no point to fixing the stuff.  It will only sell if eBay wants it to.

Message 39 of 63
latest reply

@shipscript Exactly. Do I need any more than size, brand, and type of shoe (hiking, sneakers, etc.) to find what I want. Not likely. I suspect that eBay actually is forcing people to use specifics to help in some other way like matching ads on other platforms with searches.

for example, using all the structured data to show an add by search on Google or matching to someone on Facebook. If that's the case, eBay is forcing sellers to help eBay market itself. Yes, maybe a more direct route from the outside but is the cost in time and energy worth it to the seller. Remember they do the work not eBay

Message 40 of 63
latest reply

I had posted a reply and ebay immediately dumped me out to a diff screen... and i don't think my reply took, so forgive if this is a repeat...

it is my experience that non-responsive buyers AND sellers are always trouble.  sometimes, it's a legit reason...but, usually they don't want to participate in the transaction.  so, if the transaction involves any issues at all, they are not cooperative and even can be belligerent.  it used to be that ebay gave buyers the option to cancel transactions or bids based on being UNABLE TO CONTACT the seller.  that is something that needs to be available to both buyers and sellers.

Message 41 of 63
latest reply

I am still struggling with item specifics and category changes for the last week. I use Inkfrog Open for my listings. I don't even know which listings are a problem until I try to change the price and get an error. I then find there is no category listed and I have to select another category. For most I am selecting 

Toys & Hobbies > Stuffed Animals > Other Stuffed Animals

But then after I save the listing it does not show the new category.  It might still be showing the old category but I don't know which category they were in.

Are my listings being found in search? Are my item specifics copying over or are they being lost?

-----

Edit: a reply to your questions can be found here

Message 42 of 63
latest reply

What annoys me about the new Required Item Specifics is that the answer to the question being asked is either not available or not relevant for the particular item, and there is NO reply I can make for that IS that eBay will accept.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 43 of 63
latest reply

brian@ebay - hey brian - i sent you an email with an issue... never heard back.  did you get it?

_____

Message 44 of 63
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

@wagnerjohn1 wrote:

I sell 99.9% books.  Should I begin updating my 700+ listings with the new "required" item specifics (Title, Author, Language) even though it seems like all the bugs are not worked out and all my updates might disappear the next day (as this has been reported to have happened to several others in the community)?  You require this done by 12 July.  What happens if those listings are not updated? 

My recommendation is to capture all of your item specifics after you have them updated. If eBay makes further changes that eliminate your details, at least you will have a backup file that will be easier to update and upload in bulk. http://isdntek.com/ebaytools/ItemSpecificScanner.htm

I create and maintain listings, including item specifics, in the SixBit database. SixBit bulk edit can be used to add item specifics and update selected listings. Pictures can also be stored or tracked by SixBit. I would not want to contemplate selling on eBay without SixBit.

Message 45 of 63
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: