cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 12 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Community Chat, May 12 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Some sellers will buy on ebay for resale, and our seller's group has been trying to find the answer to this question...

When we save a personal Search that we do, Is there any way to be notified AT THE TIME a new item is listed?  I know ebay batches their notifications to us, telling us that there are new items that match our search.  But, some people seem to be getting info at the time items are listed.  maybe it's just coincidence that they did a manual search at the time those items were listed, but it seems to happen a lot to some resellers.  maybe the batch notifications are staggered and some people get notified at different times -- corresponding to getting notified about a listing before other batches come through?  What can you tell me?

Thank you.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 46 of 88
latest reply

Hi brian@ebay 

Can you check to see why my account doesn't qualify and let me know? I've never received an invite though I see plenty of smaller TRSs who are in this program.

Thanks!

My guess  is that it is some randomly applied criteria, much like the coupons from earlier this year. Some users with relatively young accounts got them, some with 20 year accounts that have never lapsed were not deemed worthy.

Message 47 of 88
latest reply

Since the Category changes yesterday I have not been able to Change an item from one category into a new one using the BULK EDITING TOOL! All I get is a immediate "THERE HAS BEEN A SYSTEM ERROR" Message. Any idea when this will be fixed as it is surely related to the poor rollout of the consolidating of so many categories across the site into NEW ONES. And also will all the previous ITEM SPECIFICS I have filled out that have been wiped out with the move of items to new categories show up eventually or am I expected to redo countless hours of previous work all over again? If the answer is Yes I will be expected to then I would rather just pull the listings off the site for good.

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 48 of 88
latest reply

@arrowhead10-7 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  What about being able to list variations within sport cards?

@arrowhead10-7 Sorry I missed that! You should be able to still list variations. Can you get me a screenshot of the specific error message you're seeing?

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 49 of 88
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Thanks Tyler.........doesn't bother me as I wouldn't take the offer anyway (I was researching mine when I looked at this one)........but would not want to think offers of mine were going out this way.......

100% with you on that @dhbookds - it may  be related to the 'Best Offer' issue we're having right now (both reports I've seen involved offers) but the fact it says 'doesn't ship to you' is what makes me think it's a separate one. 

Hoping we see a quick response on this!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 50 of 88
latest reply

Every year there are different categories majorly impacted by changes such as the ones rolled out yesterday (FYI the clothing & accessories categories still aren't fixed from that last major update). I know that there is a lot of manual work involved for sellers when these changes roll out, however I think there are things eBay can and should do to make the process less painful.

Some examples-

- Instead of wiping out a seller's item specifics, carry them over to the new category. If the specifics don't match up with the new category's designated specifics- eBay should still transfer them as if they're custom added. eBay has done this frequently in the past so there's no reason for them to stop the process. I'm reading lots of posts saying that even the brand name has been wiped from their listings. That's a sloppy/lazy transfer.

- When categories are eliminated and merged, see books, comics, etc- eBay can alleviate some of the work by updating the subcategory within the specifics. Like comics and graphic novels were merged into one category and eBay is now going to rely on the Type filter for search. How about filling out that Type field with graphic novel when you eliminate the graphic novel category? How about filling out the Era field with the Era (Golden Age, etc) when eliminating the individual Era categories?

Things like this would lessen the manual work for sellers. It would also make the transition easier for buyers because items would already have the necessary info to use search filters.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comments can be found here

Message 51 of 88
latest reply

The Chat is ending soon, so no time to review if this question has been asked or not.

There are several messages on the Member to Member board stating that the OP is unable to post a counteroffer when an offer has been received.

I know when I send out offers to those listings that are eligible to receive them, I can select to either accept or not accept counteroffers.  However, from the way the OP is posting, it sounds like they are receiving an offer as a seller, and want to submit a counteroffer, but they are unable to do so.

Any other reports of this?  OK.  Ten minutes left for the chat, and I do have to make it to the post office!

_____

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 52 of 88
latest reply

@arrowhead10-7 wrote:

Can we still use variation listing for sports cards? I keep getting an error when trying to update mine or list new. 

Hi @arrowhead10-7 - you should be able to, yes. Would you mind tagging one of the team to a thread with a screenshot of the error you're seeing so we can look into it further?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 53 of 88
latest reply

brian@ebay  tyler@ebay

Have you seen reports about the new bulk feedback window bugs? Clearing cache and cookies doesn't resolve them, and they will be hard to replicate as it doesn't happen all the time, but here is my example from today:

1. From the Leave Feedback list, I selected several transactions to leave feedback for, and clicked Leave Feedback.
  2. The bulk feedback window opened and displayed a message that feedback had already been left for the transactions (which was not the case).
  3. I closed the window and and on the list, clicked Leave Feedback again.
  4. The bulk feedback window opened and this time displayed what I should be seeing, but it was in German. (What???😀)
  5. I repeated a third time, and everything worked as it should.

I see variations of these issues periodically so it's hard to pinpoint what could trigger this, but wondered if the issue has been reported by others.

____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 54 of 88
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

AGAIN, sending a reminder about adding combine shipping to ebay's app, lost 2 more sales so far this month and a couple last month.

@tsme35 - Thank you for the feedback. I don't have an update on this, but I've made sure the correct team has this information.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 55 of 88
latest reply

Gotta put in terms eBay understands.  They don't care about the problems they create for sellers.

The more time sellers have to invest fixing eBay's IS blunders the less time sellers have to process new inventory onto the site.

The math is simple merge old IS into the proper relevant new IS so sellers have more time to generate more FVFs for eBay.

Message 56 of 88
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

Just an opinion. But I find ebay's Free Shipping statements of  "Free 4 day Shipping" or "Free 2 day Shipping" (for example) to be misleading. When I'm buying and I see those statements in the search results, I conclude that the SHIPPING itself takes 2 days or 4 days from when I make my purchase, NOT that the Seller takes that amount of time just to ship the item, PLUS the transit/delivery time! It's highly misleading, why would someone who takes 4 days just to ship my package be an attractive reason to buy?! 

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 57 of 88
latest reply

@cowtown-cards wrote:

Will item attributes previously entered be migrated to the new system? I sell sports cards, and had previously entered in each team, year, card set, unique characteristic to every card. These seem to have disappeared when I go to edit any of them.

Also, "used" is still the only option when listing new items or updating with in the sports card category, I'm sure this extends across other areas as well.

@cowtown-cards my understanding was that filled out items specifics should remain. I'll report what you're seeing. Also be sure to report any other issues you run into with item specifics to sdsupport@ebay.com. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 58 of 88
latest reply

Why is there no link in the Community Chat announcement in selling and this board? Why does search not find the current community chat?

_____

Message 59 of 88
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Just a suggestion for next time : today's uproar over the Category changes/Item specifics might have been reduced if ebay had posted a reminder about the Spring Seller Update's changes a week ago or so....Yes, the original Seller Update provided all the information, but many people forget about it as time goes on (or never read it in the first place) Hope you'll consider this in the future.

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I agree that could have helped heighten awareness (or at least been a quick answer for folks who came here looking for info when they noticed the change had occurred). I'll get it in the suggestion box for next time!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 60 of 88
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: