cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 12 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Community Chat, May 12 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@gwzcomps wrote:

@alcoforever  Computer motherboards is one of the lowest fee categories.  Many of these items are not computer motherboards.  That first item in the picture is a digital surface thermometer which would belong in:

Business & Industrial > Test, Measurement & Inspection > Test Meters & Detectors > Thermometers & Temperature Measurement

That category would be paying 11.7% instead of the 6.55% the motherboards category pays.  They would be saving 5.15% in FVFs by listing in the wrong category.

OK.

Message 31 of 88
latest reply

Can we still use variation listing for sports cards? I keep getting an error when trying to update mine or list new. 

-----

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

Message 32 of 88
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

What are the odds of eBay backing out of the sellers selling life?  No bell icon, no telling us that someone made an offer that we just accepted, no telling us to ship?

And, but not included above, what is with the additional item specifics?  I make a listing, fill those in and when I go to relist there's another thirty or so specifics.

And lastly, could you let us choose the answers instead of deciding for us?  Country is a big one.   I say it's made in Germany-it has a sticker that says that.  But no, I cannot type Gemany.  It either deletes itself or it won't even let me.

I thought eBay was trying to make selling easier so I could list more, not be shut down.

@divwido eBay will have a presence on its platform and some level of communication and notification should be expected. With that said, sellers can customize many notifications here.  

We announced category and item specific updates were coming in the Spring Seller Update. Item Specifics increase an items visibility in search results, so we want to provide a good range of options for sellers to fill out to ensure the best visibility possible for their items.

Definitely report any issues or odd behavior you run into with Item Specifics to sdsupport@ebay.com. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 33 of 88
latest reply

By the way........I like the Blue outlines for ebay answers.....thanks..........but I do hope it isn't a substitution for the ebay logo on a post that has an ebay answer on the main board?  That Shelia promised some wks ago? 

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 34 of 88
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

Been meaning to post this but missed a couple of chats

eBay really needs to fix a couple of things in the labels process.

Most important, when you to print a label it does not default to the shipping you have specified in a listing. I have never, because they are too small, used International flat rate though that’s what comes up. I specify International Priority and put in the package specs, which are always larger than any flat rate offering from the PO. Yet, look what I get as default. And the service I choose is way down the list.

glasser_0-1620850627116.png

When I packed the item, I needed to adjust the weight. When I recalculated I got eBay standard as the default. I don’t use eBay standard. (I you want to know why see here: Problems with eBay International Standard Shipping - The eBay Community)

glasser_1-1620850627134.png

If I selected standard, I would be overcharging my customer for shipping and committing to a longer arrival time. I get that eBay would like me to use standard but I choose not to and don’t think it should default to that method if I have not selected it.

My other comment is that in the new system to see what someone paid, I know have to click to expand a window. My general UX comment is you have added a click where one wasn’t there before you have failed UX 101. That information is very handy when you sell internationally, and  like the case above, may have to make adjustments in packaging for international shipping.

@glasser thanks for this feedback, I'll be sure to pass it along to the shipping team! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 35 of 88
latest reply

brian@ebay   So you have told several sellers today it is our job to maintain eBay's item specifics system by emailing "sdsupport@ebay.com".  Where do we send the bill for our services when it comes to maintaining your site?  Personally as a specialized IT support tech my billable rate is $100 an hour.  I wouldn't mind tracking my time when I report these problems if it means getting reimbursed.

______

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 36 of 88
latest reply

Just a suggestion for next time : today's uproar over the Category changes/Item specifics might have been reduced if ebay had posted a reminder about the Spring Seller Update's changes a week ago or so....Yes, the original Seller Update provided all the information, but many people forget about it as time goes on (or never read it in the first place) Hope you'll consider this in the future.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 37 of 88
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

This question should be an easy one for the Community Team. With the recently announced retirement of the Power Seller status (effective June 20th), what is the fate of the 2 Power Seller Community Discussion Boards? 

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques Great question! Our plan is for the the PowerSeller boards  to be put into read only mode on May 20th and then they will be archived on June 20th. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 38 of 88
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

Concierge Department (gone?)

Hello,

Lots of conflicting info regarding the Concierge Department (CD). 

Is it still in existence but with a different name ‘Premium Services’? 

I had a chat with Conor a few days ago and was told the CD was on ‘hiatus’.

So what is the criteria to be included into this program? Conor told me I was qualified but had to be invited.  

Ages ago, I was on the eBay TRS program with a dedicated phone number that was totally awesome. Well informed CS reps, but that disappeared and I was never transitioned into the CD.

Anyone with any solid info on this?

Thank you, stuff4divas

@stuff4divas It sounds like you were given incorrect information. Concierge is still a service we provide and is not on hiatus. We don't have a list of qualifications to share, but invites are sent to sellers when their accounts to qualify.

Hi brian@ebay 

Can you check to see why my account doesn't qualify and let me know? I've never received an invite though I see plenty of smaller TRSs who are in this program.

Thanks!

_____

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 39 of 88
latest reply

Thanks for the update Brittanie.

Message 40 of 88
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Credit where due...a big Thank You to the Packing Slip/Coded Coupon team for the addition of the ability to print out a coded coupon directly on the new packing slip , or as a stand alone insert. Sent my first one yesterday. Very happy with it!

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  - thanks for sharing this! I'll make sure that this gets passed on to the right folks, I'm sure they'll be happy to hear it. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 41 of 88
latest reply

Me too!

Message 42 of 88
latest reply

Will item attributes previously entered be migrated to the new system? I sell sports cards, and had previously entered in each team, year, card set, unique characteristic to every card. These seem to have disappeared when I go to edit any of them.

Also, "used" is still the only option when listing new items or updating with in the sports card category, I'm sure this extends across other areas as well.

______

Message 43 of 88
latest reply

HI - thanks for being here...

When looking up "sold" listings, if we sort by sold price, they are in order by LISTED price -- even if there was a best-offer accepted that was lower or higher than that listed price.  in other words...there is no way to know if an item that was listed at 2.000 dollars actually sold for 600 dollars bc the sold listings show it at 2k...and when sorted, will put it in dollar amount order based on LISTED price.  that was changed about a year ago -- before that, we could at least sort it by sold price and even tho it still DISPLAYED the listed price, it would put it IN ORDER by ACTUAL price paid.  Even if we don't know the exact amount paid, at least we knew the general price range when gauging prices for listing or for bidding. Can that be fixed or put back?

...Or...now that Terapeak is avail to us all... are the Terapeak sales prices the ACTUAL price paid?  What does Terapeak show for sales numbers?

-----

Edit: A reply to your questions can be found here

Message 44 of 88
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

Just a observation - the change from "fast & free" designation to "Free X day shipping" on a search page reads terribly. The first time I saw this on a search I was doing - my first thought was "this seller won't even send this out for 4 days - probably due to the still misunderstood MP delay time in money arriving in their bank account". Not "Hey, I should have this in 4 days". It wasn't until I saw one of my own listings with this same verbiage that I realized what was going on.

In addition it does not seem to be uniformly done. Some listing will still show "Fast& Free", others the "Free X day shipping" with no rhyme or reason.  The shipping time does not make any sense, either. My own listing says "4 Day Shipping" to my own zip code, but ones from 500 miles away say three days.

This is what I see when I limit items to my user ID:

Screenshot_2021-04-28 Items for sale by glgenterprise eBay.png

This is what I see when I search by a part number for all sellers:

Screenshot_2021-04-28 20922513 eBay.png

@glgenterprise shipping times are based on a sellers historical shipping data and preferences set up in their listings. Sellers with items that have these shipping badges have a historical track record of shipping and delivering items quickly. 

I'm not sure why Fast N Free is still showing on some listings. I'll take a closer look at get it reported. Thanks! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 45 of 88
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: