cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Jan 10th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please join us today at 1 pm Pacific today for our weekly chat with the Community Team. There is no set topic this week, so feel free to ask us any of your eBay buying & selling questions.

The thread will open for replies at 1 pm and will remain open for one hour.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone today! slight smile

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon, everyone! The chat is now open for replies grin

Message 2 of 101
latest reply

I just have to say that the decision to not offer more box sizes is very disappointing....

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 101
latest reply

Just to follow up on our discussions of last month about the major toy retailer and their continued use of offsite links, their current listings do serve to confirm that they're free to continue embedding links to their own website as desired, whereas lesser sellers may get hammered for embedding offsite links or otherwise arranging offsite sales.

(When this was first brought up, several of the referenced listings were quickly edited to remove the offending links, but then edited again a week or so later, at which time the links went back in again. It's not clear whether the reinstatements were done deliberately, or were the result of uploading a new copy of a listing template that itself was never revised.)

For example, several current eBay listings of theirs reading "Find Fisher-Price products right here!" use "here!" as a hyperlink to their own website, and clicking on that takes you immediately to a catalog page of 835 more Fisher-Price products available for purchase from them, not you. Goodbye, eBay customer!

To be clear, not every listing of theirs is attempting this stunt; it seems to be limited to only listings for major brands and product lines (e.g. Fisher-Price, Thomas & Friends), for which they have their own catalog on their own website. They troll for interested customers on eBay, and then bring them in to the catalog on their own website, where the former eBay customer can now purchase that item and/or others direct from them.

The point here is not only that this seems to confirm the widespread perception that bigger sellers are allowed to ignore rules that lesser sellers must observe (that's not really surprising), but also that at least some of this ignored listing abuse doesn't even benefit eBay. Once a customer heads off to your competitor's website to make his purchases, how much eBay income goes with him?

Message 4 of 101
latest reply

Perhaps they are just following the rules - the rules of THEIR contract with ebay.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 101
latest reply

So, question from a forum thread. 

Is it allowed under eBay rules:

1) For a seller to automatically enroll a buyer in their (non-Ebay) newsletter mailing list (ie OptIn) during a purchase.  It's definately not allowed under US and CN law anymore, but what about eBay Policy?

2) Use their (non-Ebay) newsletter to drive sales to a non-eBay site for future purchases?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 101
latest reply

I am looking for some info on how eBay sends messages to buyers. I have a few questions and they all relate to the same areas, so I will ask them here. I am Okay with whatever the process is, I am just trying to understand the working of eBay better.

1. Does eBay send the buyer a "Your item has shipped" message the instant the seller marks the transaction as shipped? If not then a delay happens and
  2. I am wondering how long a general delay is?
  3. and does eBay just bundles lots of shipped messages from different sellers and bulk sends out these message?
  4. I also want to understand what eBay considers shipped? Does shipped mean the item is shipped once a seller purchase a shipping label on eBay or marks the transaction as shipped manually?
  5. Does eBay see an increase in buyers contacting customer service because they thought when they got the shipped message that means the seller has released the package to the carrier?
  6. Is it possible for buyers to opt out of receiving any kind of message from eBay or the seller about "Your item Shipped"?
  7. I think I saw in the site preferences that a seller can opt out of sending this message to buyers and I am wondering if this is still an active options and when this happens does that also mean that eBay will not be sending a buyer this message as well?

I am sorry for all the questions in one post but I did not see any disclaimer in the opening remarks from the community team.  I do not know what current options are as I rarely have time to attend this chat session.  If you can only answer one question could someone PM me the other answers?  I do not have the time to stick around for any replies but look forward to your answers.

Thanks

Message 7 of 101
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@a_c_green wrote:

Just to follow up on our discussions of last month about the major toy retailer and their continued use of offsite links, their current listings do serve to confirm that they're free to continue embedding links to their own website as desired, whereas lesser sellers may get hammered for embedding offsite links or otherwise arranging offsite sales.

(When this was first brought up, several of the referenced listings were quickly edited to remove the offending links, but then edited again a week or so later, at which time the links went back in again. It's not clear whether the reinstatements were done deliberately, or were the result of uploading a new copy of a listing template that itself was never revised.)

For example, several current eBay listings of theirs reading "Find Fisher-Price products right here!" use "here!" as a hyperlink to their own website, and clicking on that takes you immediately to a catalog page of 835 more Fisher-Price products available for purchase from them, not you. Goodbye, eBay customer!

To be clear, not every listing of theirs is attempting this stunt; it seems to be limited to only listings for major brands and product lines (e.g. Fisher-Price, Thomas & Friends), for which they have their own catalog on their own website. They troll for interested customers on eBay, and then bring them in to the catalog on their own website, where the former eBay customer can now purchase that item and/or others direct from them.

The point here is not only that this seems to confirm the widespread perception that bigger sellers are allowed to ignore rules that lesser sellers must observe (that's not really surprising), but also that at least some of this ignored listing abuse doesn't even benefit eBay. Once a customer heads off to your competitor's website to make his purchases, how much eBay income goes with him?

Hi @a_c_green, have you emailed into the Askcommunity inbox on this topic with examples? Any time this issue has been raised we have confirmed that our sellers are all subject to the same expectations, so links to third party sites would not be allowed. This only serves to harm the Community overall and we will take steps to correct any violations that we find or that are reported to us. Appropriate coaching will be given and time will be provided to get this resolved, but we can definitely continue to follow up on this if you continue to see violations. I can email you if you need to send specific item numbers for review so we can get this addressed.

Message 8 of 101
latest reply

have a "Selling Reminder" saying: Qualify for Fast 'N Free to increase sales by 11% for3 listings.
Why only 3 of my 200+ active listings? How does eBay decide that?
It's not a matter of shipping options. Half of my listings are First Class; the other half are Media Mail or FedEx SmartPost.

Message 9 of 101
latest reply

Can anyone tell me how to join this community chat? I've made it as far as the board where I can read peoples questions and replies, but there is nothing anywhere that tells me how to ask a question?????
Message 10 of 101
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

I just have to say that the decision to not offer more box sizes is very disappointing....

Hi @dtexley3, while the six available right now are currently the full stock of sizes, it's always possible that we could add more box sizes in the future, that's not off the table. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 11 of 101
latest reply

A couple weeks ago I brought up the possibility that a couple common issues, which are posted on a regular basis on the boards, might easily be fixed by ebay.

The one about a clarification for store owners wishing to use the vacation settings I feel still needs more done.  Instructions at the point where a seller actually sets up their vacation settings should clearly explain that handling times need to be adjusted if one wishes to leave their items visible.

I was told it is explained under "Knowledge Base" and Commonly asked questions.  While this is true, I don't think most sellers would look there to find out how to set their store vacation settings.   They might after having a problem, but frankly, I've been here a long time and never once had I looked there for anything.

Just in the last two days, unknowing sellers have posted about receiving ontime shipping metric hits, and one even had INR cases opened against them, since they knew nothing about adjusting the handling times.  

Message 12 of 101
latest reply

Yeah, yeah, but you said cubes were cost prohibitive so don't go getting our hopes up, just to dash them into a thousand pieces again.... laughing

Message 13 of 101
latest reply

Where do I submit suggestions for changing something on the main listing page.

I have been submitting problems with combine shipping totals for buyers for years and eBay seems to have a deaf ear to my concerns but this might be a work around.

Each and every month for the last 5 -8 years we get several buyers asking for combined shipping totals prior to buying and notice when we quote them they hardly ever select the rate we quoted them even though the quote was obtained by using your shipping calculator in the listing.    Is there a way (i know theres a way) to change the wording from "See Details" next to the shipping cost in the listing to "See More Shipping Options"    "See Details" I bet is the least clicked item on the listing page besides the buy it now button (lately) and it needs to be updated.   
So we end up refunding the buyers shipping cost to the quoted rate we gave them prior to purchase.  I'm not sure but I can bet there are more potential buyers turned off or run away when they see only ONE shippng option and the do not know there are several available but the page is hiding them.

Thanks,

Rick

Message 14 of 101
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

A couple weeks ago I brought up the possibility that a couple common issues, which are posted on a regular basis on the boards, might easily be fixed by ebay.

The one about a clarification for store owners wishing to use the vacation settings I feel still needs more done.  Instructions at the point where a seller actually sets up their vacation settings should clearly explain that handling times need to be adjusted if one wishes to leave their items visible.

I was told it is explained under "Knowledge Base" and Commonly asked questions.  While this is true, I don't think most sellers would look there to find out how to set their store vacation settings.   They might after having a problem, but frankly, I've been here a long time and never once had I looked there for anything.

Just in the last two days, unknowing sellers have posted about receiving ontime shipping metric hits, and one even had INR cases opened against them, since they knew nothing about adjusting the handling times.  

I agree, this should be clairfied on the settings page as well.  A short statement with a link to the Knowledge base article would help a lot.

Message 15 of 101
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: