cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat Hour - Tue. July 3rd @ 1 pm PDT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join The Community Team here at 1 pm Pacific on Tuesday, July 3rd for our chat hour. We're moving the chat hour forward this week due to the July 4th holiday 🇺🇸

Chat with you then! 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining us today. The thread is now open for replies. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

First I would like to thank eBay for making this chat happen on a holiday week.

My questions are regarding the deletion of pictures on GTC listings that were renewed sometime around the 20th of June. This isn’t a minor deal like the often-occurring “cosmetic” glitches that cause nothing more than panic with no real consequences. This appears to be the permanent deletion of crucial listing components.  As a result, I think it is fair to say that this was and still is a HUGE issue. Personally I had around 100 listings affected (around 10% of my active listings on this account). It took me two days of work to replace the pictures on those listings. In addition, I have to believe those affected by this have also experienced a loss of sales. Not only from the affected listings, but probably across the board since the click-though and sales conversion rates on affected listings would be horribly low resulting in lower visibility for every listing on affected accounts.

My questions are:

• When an issue of this magnitude is identified why doesn’t eBay immediately send out a message to sellers or make an announcement on the announcements board? Any communication from eBay about this issue would have allowed things to be remedied much quicker for many individual sellers.

• Since this issue has cost many sellers much time and work to fix their listings will any financial compensation be offered to sellers that have a large number of listings affected? Any good faith offer by eBay likely wouldn’t cover the cost of damages, but it would at least make many of us feel a little better about the whole situation.

• I have had at least one item sell that didn’t have any pictures at the time of sale due to this issue. If an after-transaction issue such as a Not As Described case is opened up for this transaction as a result will any protection be offered by eBay? Examples of such protection:

1. EBay stepping up to the plate and taking the financial hit for the case. EBay could do so by covering the original and return shipping or by simply offering a full courtesy refund to the buyer.
  2. The removal of any such NAD cases from the seller’s metrics.
  3. The removal of any neutral or negative feedback that results from not having pictures in the listing.

• I am sure that there are sellers affected by this who have no clue that such a problem even exists. Will eBay ever publicly acknowledge this issue through a message or announcement? EBay already failed to notify users of this issue at the time it occurred, but they could at least minimize some of the damage by making a site-wide notification at this time.

I apologize for the length of my questions and I thank you for your time.

Message 3 of 60
latest reply

Hi Alan  Happy almost 4th, hope it's cooler where you are ........

There continues to be questions about listing promotions banner showing up at the top or bottom of a listing.

Bob K said in the q/a ( as I understood it), that the bannner would show if the promo was a "good one".......at the top.  Lesser ones would show on the bottom or only when a buyer went to check out.......

I can find nothing to expand on this..........I understand that $1 off 3 items, each valued at $500 is not a good one, but can you give us what WILL make a banner show up on top? 

There is a discussion on the Tech board......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202273580621                30% off doesn't show up at top

https://www.ebay.com/itm/141916397741                     25% off Does show at top

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252342590681                 20% off Does show up at top

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

Any update to the markdown manager?  Very frustrating to sell with this new update.

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

Hi Alan,
From the Spring Seller Update:

"You will be able to customize your Store by using our many different modules later in 2018."

From the Summer Seller Update:

" New Stores features
Starting in June 2018, we will provide eBay Stores subscribers valuable new features that will help you manage your Store. They include:

New merchandising opportunities
Enhanced mobile experience
HTTPS security
Manage your Store from one convenient location—Seller Hub
In late-June 2018, these Store features will only be accessible in Seller Hub at the following locations:

Marketing tab
Stores Management
Performance tab
Sales reports
Traffic reports"

"Late June" has come and gone.

Where are these new store enhancements? Particularly the new modules some of us have been asking about for months?

Is eBay behind schedule again?
Message 6 of 60
latest reply

Is misleading advertistement here to stay?

Basically your taking keywords from my store and taking people out of it with a misleading banner.

If you go to barbie seller store and type barbie you get an add to take the buyer out of that barbie sellers store before they have a chance to browse. That banner right now is very misleading to sellers and buyers.

Buyers will think that is my store banner as it doesnt say Ad but says featured. I would like to have that spot for the anchor store I paid for, but not as a nice spot to take buyers out of my store and on to other sellers.

ads.png

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

When may we expect to finally have accurate information as to the numbers of viewers and watchers we have on our items?

Message 8 of 60
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone! I'm so excited to be joining the chat today grinning With @Anonymous out on vacation, I'm stepping in this week to help!

Message 9 of 60
latest reply

Hi Alan,

I think I can understand the rationale behind the new 14 day rule for Markdown Manager.

However, for a seller to keep track of which items are eligible to participate in a sale and which are not is obviously not very practical. Yet, when I launch a sale, eBay obviously can instantly determine which items are eligible and which aren't. So, wouldn't it be a good idea for ebay to provide us with a new tool that enables us to find the eligibility date for each listing IN ADVANCE of creating a Markdown Manager Sale?

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

Please clarify how sellers be able to run sales.

Current settings that are enforced:

1. new items cannot be on sale for 14days.

2. items coming off of sales cannot be on sale for 14 days.

How does this benefit? I never seen any store retail or ecommerce that tries to restrict sales as it is one of the major tools for any business to make sales.

So a person who has all the items coming out of sales cannot put a sale on the 4th of July Weekend?

Sellerse with over thousands of listings, how is best for them to handle sales? Keep track which one was on sale? Tools ebay has isn't very helpful, are there new tools plan or we stuck with good luck?

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

@dustinmatthaes wrote:

First I would like to thank eBay for making this chat happen on a holiday week.

My questions are regarding the deletion of pictures on GTC listings that were renewed sometime around the 20th of June. This isn’t a minor deal like the often-occurring “cosmetic” glitches that cause nothing more than panic with no real consequences. This appears to be the permanent deletion of crucial listing components.  As a result, I think it is fair to say that this was and still is a HUGE issue. Personally I had around 100 listings affected (around 10% of my active listings on this account). It took me two days of work to replace the pictures on those listings. In addition, I have to believe those affected by this have also experienced a loss of sales. Not only from the affected listings, but probably across the board since the click-though and sales conversion rates on affected listings would be horribly low resulting in lower visibility for every listing on affected accounts.

My questions are:

• When an issue of this magnitude is identified why doesn’t eBay immediately send out a message to sellers or make an announcement on the announcements board? Any communication from eBay about this issue would have allowed things to be remedied much quicker for many individual sellers.

• Since this issue has cost many sellers much time and work to fix their listings will any financial compensation be offered to sellers that have a large number of listings affected? Any good faith offer by eBay likely wouldn’t cover the cost of damages, but it would at least make many of us feel a little better about the whole situation.

• I have had at least one item sell that didn’t have any pictures at the time of sale due to this issue. If an after-transaction issue such as a Not As Described case is opened up for this transaction as a result will any protection be offered by eBay? Examples of such protection:

1. EBay stepping up to the plate and taking the financial hit for the case. EBay could do so by covering the original and return shipping or by simply offering a full courtesy refund to the buyer.
  2. The removal of any such NAD cases from the seller’s metrics.
  3. The removal of any neutral or negative feedback that results from not having pictures in the listing.

• I am sure that there are sellers affected by this who have no clue that such a problem even exists. Will eBay ever publicly acknowledge this issue through a message or announcement? EBay already failed to notify users of this issue at the time it occurred, but they could at least minimize some of the damage by making a site-wide notification at this time.

I apologize for the length of my questions and I thank you for your time.

Hi @dustinmatthaes

- Agreed, we could have communicated better on this one, lessons have been learned. Our team (The Community Team) is looking into options with internal eBay teams to have a better comms channel for technical issues that have high-impact

- More info to come on this soon

- Good point. Let me raise this internally for consideration

More info to come on this soon

Thank you for your post. We apologize for the recent issues. 

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

@etel wrote:

Any update to the markdown manager?  Very frustrating to sell with this new update.

Hi @etel - there is no change to the markdown process that went into effect last week. 

Adapting to new requirements can be difficult. Changing the way you approach a markdown sale will be important: whether that be you stagger the types of items that are on various sales, to implementing more promotional offers that don't have the waiting requirement, or move from 'short term' sales to longer term 30 or 45 day sales to maximize the time an item can be discounted before the clock starts over. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 60
latest reply

I would like some clarification and details about the additional FVFs ebay has floated will be added to sellers' fees this fall based on their INR/SNAD return percentages.

How will this percentage be determined?  Will sellers be compared to sellers with the same number of sold items?  Will the additional fees only be added to sold items within categories with the higher percentage or across the board for that seller?

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

Hi Alan  Happy almost 4th, hope it's cooler where you are ........

There continues to be questions about listing promotions banner showing up at the top or bottom of a listing.

Bob K said in the q/a ( as I understood it), that the bannner would show if the promo was a "good one".......at the top.  Lesser ones would show on the bottom or only when a buyer went to check out.......

I can find nothing to expand on this..........I understand that $1 off 3 items, each valued at $500 is not a good one, but can you give us what WILL make a banner show up on top? 

There is a discussion on the Tech board......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202273580621                30% off doesn't show up at top

https://www.ebay.com/itm/141916397741                     25% off Does show at top

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252342590681                 20% off Does show up at top

Hi @dhbookds - Thanks for joining us today! There are quite a few factors we look at when it comes to promotions banners and their placements. Similar to Best Match, there isn't a singular way to guarantee your banner will display at the top of your listing. We would just encourage you to look at differing sellers and what they're offering to make sure your promotions are competitive to theirs. 

Message 15 of 60
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: