cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Dec 20th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Please join the Community team here at 1 pm Pacific on Dec 20 for our weekly chat. We do not have a set topic this week, so please feel free to ask us your eBay related buying & selling questions.

The thread will open for replies at 1pm and will remain open for one hour. 

Happy Holidays! 🎄🎅🏽

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Howdy everyone! Chat is now open. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 88
latest reply

Re the UPC issue: 
I have a bunch of video tapes that were issued twice, once with a UPC and once without...probably in the opposite order.
I've carefully examined the tapes and the covers, and can't find any differences...except that one package has a UPC and the other doesn't.
I've been advised by eBay CS that if I offer the un-UPC'd tape for sale, and give the UPC from the other box, I'm a villain and will be chastised. 
That doesn't exactly seem resonable: it's an identical product, just with slightly different packaging. 
?.

Message 3 of 88
latest reply

I just started trying variation listings. I can't seem to add best offer to them. Is that a glitch, or how it is actually set up?

Message 4 of 88
latest reply

Love the dog!!!

Based on post on the seller board today I have a question.  If one signs up for guarantee delivery using the handling time option and the package arrives late, will this be reflected on the shipping metrics as late even if a proper acceptance scan was obtained?

Message 5 of 88
latest reply

In the past if I did a search for a item all items with the search words would show up in best match.

Has there been a change to search that eliminates some items even if the search term is an exact match?

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 6 of 88
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

I just started trying variation listings. I can't seem to add best offer to them. Is that a glitch, or how it is actually set up?

Hi @carlqsportscards - currently Best Offer is not available on listings with variations. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

Re the UPC issue: 
I have a bunch of video tapes that were issued twice, once with a UPC and once without...probably in the opposite order.
I've carefully examined the tapes and the covers, and can't find any differences...except that one package has a UPC and the other doesn't.
I've been advised by eBay CS that if I offer the un-UPC'd tape for sale, and give the UPC from the other box, I'm a villain and will be chastised. 
That doesn't exactly seem resonable: it's an identical product, just with slightly different packaging. 
?.

Hi @vrykalak, the UPC for this item likely applies to both the older release and the newer. You can email sdsupport@eBay.com with the specific example and they will be able to provide you with the best guidance on complying with Product Identifier expectations in this category.

Message 8 of 88
latest reply

Happy Holiday to all.

Quick question about a recent promo 

List FREE - 200 auction-style or fixed priced listings
Pay no insertion fees on up to 200 listings. Plus, add Buy It Now for free. 
12/19/17 00:00:00 PST
12/23/17 23:59:59 PST

It is listed not once but twice, is this a super bonus or done in error? 

Thanks in advance!

Message 9 of 88
latest reply

Continuing a discussion from 6th December:

Our eBay Money Back Guarantee promotes trust in eBay, which drives traffic to the site and increases sales for our sellers. In return for providing access to our platform with a global marketplace and numerous resources to build your business, we ask our sellers to comply with our policies and guidelines. This includes accepting a return for an item that your buyer has reported does not match the description. 

Sorry. Wrong answer. 
If the seller's description is different from what the buyer "says" was received, eBay automatically assumes the seller is at fault.
eBay expects the seller to refund the item price, and the initial shipping cost, AND pay for return shipping. 
This is a problem!

Hi @vrykalak, happy to clarify our stance on this. I noticed that you placed says in to quotations and feel this is meant to indicate that the buyer's description of what they received is somehow less valid than the seller's description of the item. I want to be clear that these descriptions are treated the same, as we are not present when the item is shipped or received by either party. We compare the descriptions our members provide and will seek to reverse the transaction if there is a disagreement.

It is not a matter of placing blame or fault as you mentioned; simply a matter of our sellers being expected to provide a solution to their customers when needed. Our goal is to help our sellers be successful while operating their business on our platform, and part of any successful business is accepting returns for a full refund when a customer lets you know the item did not match the description. If there is any reason to believe the claim is invalid or that any kind of fraudulent activity is present, we would work to protect a seller. 

--------------

In the 12+ years I've been selling on eBay, all but one* of the NAD return requests has been a case where the buyer didn't read the description, because the description was complete and correct, and the got what they bought, but thought they had bought something different. 

* The one was indeed NAD: I sent the wrong item.

In every case, eBay found in favor of the buyer, even though it was obvious to anyone who read the Description (and looked at the photos) that the buyer was in error. 

I'm really annoyed when some eBay person tells me the most important thing in the universe is to "make the buyer whole" even when they are obviously in the wrong: I should just accept their claim and refund their money...so I'm out the original cost of the item, the cost of shipping, the fees, etc.

Message 10 of 88
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@carlqsportscards wrote:

Hi @carlqsportscards - currently Best Offer is not available on listings with variations. Thanks!

I seem to be missing something about ebay's logic.

All those people that complained about ebay adding best offer to listings when they didn't want it, while I want to add it but can't.

Can you fill me in on the reasoning?

Message 11 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone! I can't stay for the chat but just wanted to jump in and say hi! I hope everyone has a Happy Holidays!! christmas_tree gift

Message 12 of 88
latest reply

usps holiday shipping deadlines 12/19 for first class mail

Why does ebay show buyers false delivery times for usps deliveries? This effects millions of people , buyers and sellers who use usps.

I included an example of an auction today 12/20 with delivery date of 12/23 to compare with usps saying all first class needed to be shipped 12/19 for Christmas delivery. 

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 13 of 88
latest reply

Merry Christmas Everyone!!! Hope you're all ready.

Message 14 of 88
latest reply

This is the worst December I have ever had on eBay. Not only are my sales down but my watchers and impressions are down. There is a lot of speculation which is all over the board. One day eBay favors large sellers the next day sellers with little or no experience are on top of the "Best Match" search.

I have trusted eBay for consistent income for over 10 years. I have done everything you have asked of me and I no longer believe that my hard work, positive feedback and customer service does anything to improve my ranking in the search engines.

What is going on? and what is throttling?
Message 15 of 88
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: