cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Dec 13th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hello, 

Please join the Community team here at 1 pm PT today for our weekly chat. 

Talk with you soon! grin

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi folks, 

Thanks for joining us today, the topic is now open for replies. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

Alan, I am wondering if there are any cold hard statistics if promotional listings is working?

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 3 of 59
latest reply

Hi all,

We'd like to follow up on a discussion from last week about offsite links in listings. (https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Suspension-violating-rules/m-p/27811855#M1098220). (If you haven't seen that post already, you might want to read it now before continuing here.)

The question was raised about why larger corporate accounts are getting away with planting links to their own websites in the listings (and these were links to an ordering catalog on their own site, not just to more information about the listed item), while at the same time a smaller seller could get hammered for one offsite link.

One of the more glaring examples was that large toy seller with the backwards letter in the middle, and there were several instances where, for example, an Imaginarium toy listed here would contain a massive blurb inviting eBay shoppers to go to their own website instead: "Browse through the full line of Imaginarium items, available exclusively at [seller]!" You can imagine how much income they must be siphoning from eBay when you consider how many listings of theirs have that enticement.

So Trinton responded (here) that the examples we discussed would be reviewed, and when I checked back a day or so later, I was happy (and, to be honest, mildly surprised) to see that although the colored text remained in the few listings I checked, it was no longer an external link to anywhere.

But (and you knew there would be a "But" here, right? Smiley Happy) just a couple of days later, according to the listings' Revision History, the listing descriptions were revised again, and the working hyperlinks had been restored. Apparently someone enforcing the policy was overruled by someone else, and the links went back in. Listings created since then are showing the same offsite links. (Not all listings by that seller include an offsite lure, but those that do are not hard to find.) An eBay buyer is invited to go to their website, shown a large assortment of related toys right on the landing page, and invited to place their order right there.

So would it be reasonable to conclude that larger sellers are operating under a different set of rules than smaller ones? It's hard to form a different conclusion, based on what we've seen over the past couple of weeks. It's equally hard to fathom why eBay would allow it, as the amount of lost income from those offsite links must be rather sizeable.

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

I just want to say, we got moved finally. We love our big old house! Hopefully I’ll be back to listing & selling in January. I’ve missed you guys! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to Alan & the gang and of course to all my eBay friends! It’s good to be back! 😀
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 5 of 59
latest reply

Hit and run post as I have something else to do before the sun goes down.

Should there be some kind of a soft limit on the number of posts in a thread? With very rare exceptions, once a thread goes past about 50 posts it has gone off topic in one way or another and has turned into bickering between points of view. Sure, those posts can be reported, but perhaps they can be monitored a bit better to prevent those issues to begin with?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 59
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@a_c_green wrote:

Hi all,

We'd like to follow up on a discussion from last week about offsite links in listings. (https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Suspension-violating-rules/m-p/27811855#M1098220). (If you haven't seen that post already, you might want to read it now before continuing here.)

The question was raised about why larger corporate accounts are getting away with planting links to their own websites in the listings (and these were links to an ordering catalog on their own site, not just to more information about the listed item), while at the same time a smaller seller could get hammered for one offsite link.

One of the more glaring examples was that large toy seller with the backwards letter in the middle, and there were several instances where, for example, an Imaginarium toy listed here would contain a massive blurb inviting eBay shoppers to go to their own website instead: "Browse through the full line of Imaginarium items, available exclusively at [seller]!" You can imagine how much income they must be siphoning from eBay when you consider how many listings of theirs have that enticement.

So Trinton responded (here) that the examples we discussed would be reviewed, and when I checked back a day or so later, I was happy (and, to be honest, mildly surprised) to see that although the colored text remained in the few listings I checked, it was no longer an external link to anywhere.

But (and you knew there would be a "But" here, right? Smiley Happy) just a couple of days later, according to the listings' Revision History, the listing descriptions were revised again, and the working hyperlinks had been restored. Apparently someone enforcing the policy was overruled by someone else, and the links went back in. Listings created since then are showing the same offsite links. (Not all listings by that seller include an offsite lure, but those that do are not hard to find.) An eBay buyer is invited to go to their website, shown a large assortment of related toys right on the landing page, and invited to place their order right there.

So would it be reasonable to conclude that larger sellers are operating under a different set of rules than smaller ones? It's hard to form a different conclusion, based on what we've seen over the past couple of weeks. It's equally hard to fathom why eBay would allow it, as the amount of lost income from those offsite links must be rather sizeable.

Thank you so much for touching base on this topic, @a_c_green. I can confirm that our sellers are all held to the same expectations. This could have been placed back on the listings in error by an employee or a listing tool, but we will absolutely make sure this is addressed and that appropriate action is taken.

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

@klassic*kids wrote:

Alan, I am wondering if there are any cold hard statistics if promotional listings is working?

Hi @klassic*kids

I don't think that there is any public information on success statistics for Promoted Listings. I do know from speaking with sellers that a lot of our sellers love using this feature and the fact that eBay has invested more and expanded Promoted Listings to more categories over time tells me that it is successful/working. 

Thanks. 

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

Oh! I now have a giant porch with windows to serve as my eBay “room”. Life is good right now. So excited!

Well, I was trying to post a couple pics but it won’t let me.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 9 of 59
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@klassic*kids wrote:

Hi @klassic*kids

I don't think that there is any public information on success statistics for Promoted Listings. I do know from speaking with sellers that a lot of our sellers love using this feature and the fact that eBay has invested more and expanded Promoted Listings to more categories over time tells me that it is successful/working. 

Thanks. 

They worked for me the couple times I used them. I will use promoted listings again.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 10 of 59
latest reply

tyler@ebay

I recently had a listing removed by Ebay stating that I violated policy and that item was a counterfeit or replica and violated the trademark policy.  I’ve sold this brand of products for years and I’ve sold this specific item before on Ebay, just not in the last couple of years.  I find this extremely concerning as to why Ebay would remove my listing without ANY proof that I’ve done what they are accusing me of doing.  ZERO!!!  My history as a seller should stand for something and sometimes I’m just not getting that from Ebay at all.

So suddenly after almost 20 years on Ebay and an excellent selling record, I’ve decided that the way to go for the future is to sell counterfeit items.  Why in the world would I do that?  There is no logical answer to that question.

In speaking with Customer Service, I got a very nice and thorough representative.  She was wonderful, kind and informative.  However there is no way to appeal this according to her.  She further explained that Ebay removed the listing because the trademark holder contacted Ebay to say that the item was no longer in production and therefore what I’m selling MUST be counterfeit.  For the record there is NO basis in FACT that supports that.  The product IS still in production and is one of their most popular fragrances to date.  It is sold by many other big named sites.  I offered up that information, but again she reminded me that there is no appeal process.  I’d have to contact the trademark holder to try and get this problem fixed. 

On top of that, my listing was ended within 30 minutes of it being posted, so this Trademark holder certainly is FAST in reviewing listings. 

So I learned to day that someone can say anything they want, it does not have to be based in fact or even reality and Ebay will remove my listing if the complaining company wants that done.  I’m not talking about other Ebay sellers, I’m talking about trademark companies.  I can give proof that it is still in production, sold by many sites [to include Ebay] and that I do not now nor have I ever sold fake items to ANYONE, nor would I knowingly do that.

To add insult to injury I just got an email in from Ebay, just one of those regular marketing emails, that asks me if I’m still looking for this product and giving me some links to other sellers selling the very product I’ve been slapped for by Ebay.

I am beyond concerned by this and I am extremely insulted by Ebay’s actions.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 11 of 59
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:
I just want to say, we got moved finally. We love our big old house! Hopefully I’ll be back to listing & selling in January. I’ve missed you guys! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to Alan & the gang and of course to all my eBay friends! It’s good to be back! 😀

Great to see you, @mg152! Hope all is going well and that you have a wonderful Christmas slight_smile

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

Hit and run post as I have something else to do before the sun goes down.

Should there be some kind of a soft limit on the number of posts in a thread? With very rare exceptions, once a thread goes past about 50 posts it has gone off topic in one way or another and has turned into bickering between points of view. Sure, those posts can be reported, but perhaps they can be monitored a bit better to prevent those issues to begin with?

This is a great idea! When I see a post that has over 50 comments/answers I don’t even bother cause it’s a waste of time.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 13 of 59
latest reply

Alan/ et al.........\

any word on when the refurbished of  "new and refurbished" will be removed? 

It certainly continues to be embarrassing.      

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@mg152 wrote:

Great to see you, @mg152! Hope all is going well and that you have a wonderful Christmas slight_smile

Thank you! We have a Christmas tree for the first time in about 4 years. It’s been a rough few years but things are looking up. I can’t wait to get back on eBay full time. Gotta get some more stock to sell but I’m going to go all the way next year.

Ive gotta go but I’ll be back. 😀 Thanks for the chat everyone!

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 15 of 59
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: