cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, August 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have!

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Community Chat, August 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@ayeres_books wrote:

Can Ebay answer definitively whether or not sellers in Managed Payments are allowed to list adult books and magazines in the Everything Else category?

Thank you

Hi @ayeres_books - Adult-Only items are one of several categories not currently supported by managed payments (broader list here). Any listings that violate our policies will be automatically ended. We aim to add full category support to managed payments progressively through 2021. 

Disclaimers: 

As someone who is not an expert on managed payments I may not be able to address your question in its entirety. If you have been notified to register for managed payments you are able to request a call back from a payments-trained teammate by accessing any of the Help Pages related to payments and using the 'Have us call you' feature at the bottom of the page.

The information provided is accurate as of today's date (August 26 2020) but may become outdated in the future. If you are reading this at a later date please consider checking the Help Pages or request a call back from a managed payments teammate who can provide the most up to date information.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 31 of 88
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@hknumismatics wrote:

What eBay seller protections against INR and shipping made by surface mail can you offer? Because the current ones are not quite doing the job sufficiently.

Currently to/from a lot of destinations worldwide mail is going by surface (i.e. ship/lorry/rail) only. Especially for intercontinental mail this means a significant delay with delivery times in the 2-3 month time span (usually 1-2 weeks to get onto a ship, 3-6 weeks on a ship, 1-2 weeks to clear customs and then the domestic delivery time in destination country).

The extended delivery times whereby eBay has added 2 weeks or so to the normal projected delivery times does often only push expected delivery date to 4-6 weeks from sending. This means that an INR can be opened, ruled in favour of the buyer (naturally there are no tracking updates when it is on the ship or awaiting customs clearance), and the 30 days appeal window all pass before the item is even meant to have reached its final destination!

As a seller I have to ship a lot of items by surface mail, as no buyer will pay courier delivery fees for cheap items. It also arises when a buyer insists to have something shipped to a PO Box or APO etc. to which a courier cannot ship.

My suggestion to an easy fix for this would be to introduce a new shipping form at the invoicing stage "Standard International Surface Shipping" or similar that automatically puts the expected arrival date at least at 60 days.

Thoughts?

So far this year I have lost 3 or 4 cases like this, and in each case I eventually got delivery proof - but always after the appeal period had expired.

Hi @hknumismatics - thanks for the suggestion, and I'm sorry to hear you've had a few items be so delayed. For items like you've described (shipping internationally via a surface mail option) the extended delivery ranges are the extent of the protection offered.

For items that you are sending surface mail, you could consider extending your handling time out as far as you can, which could help increase the delivery window!

Tyler, the issue is that as I list the items I do not know where the buyer is located. Hence I do not know if it will require shipping surface mail or not. It is not until the purchase has been made by the buyer (or auction ended) that I know what shipping options I can ship/invoice them with.

Extending my handling time to even something like 14 days (or 28 if that is even allowed) for all my listings would render a loss of clients despite 80-90% of my items not at all being shipped surface mail. As far as I have understood from the boards here it would also be disadvantageous in search functions, and possibly other account evaluation tools as well.

Message 32 of 88
latest reply

It took me more than 15 minutes to post my last reply because I kept getting an HTML error for posting a link to the selling forum- then when I correct  the post I kept seeing this new post flooding issue- now we can't post more than once every 2 minutes? These Khoros issues are going from bad to worse. Also note that it says "tried" to post- none of them successfully posted because of the HTML error so there was no actual post flooding.

flooding.jpg

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 33 of 88
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@sniperwolves I actually just replied to your other post here. You'll need to follow the step I provided in that thread to speak with the payments them. They'll be able to help you out 🙂

Just FYI, I get an "Access Denied" warning when I click on your link, brian@ebay.

Message 34 of 88
latest reply

@pburn wrote:
brian@ebay wrote:

@sniperwolves I actually just replied to your other post here. You'll need to follow the step I provided in that thread to speak with the payments them. They'll be able to help you out 🙂

Just FYI, I get an "Access Denied" warning when I click on your link, brian@ebay.

It's the Power Seller board so only sellers logged in to selling accounts with Power Seller status can access it.

Message 35 of 88
latest reply

Brian, Would you do me the favor of double checking with the app team?  Pretty please?

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 36 of 88
latest reply

@alcoforever wrote:

Post 37  from last week's chat was never answered, at least not in a form that the rest of us could read.   Below is a cut & paste of the topic:

Hi.  In the extensive database of past sales that are searchable by EBay sellers and buyers, EBay's price data does not appear to capture the price reductions when a lower offer is accepted by the seller (with respect to a "Best Offer" listing).  In this way, the "Sold for" prices are arguably artificially inflated, misleading, and suggest that items have a higher value than they actually do in the EBay marketplace.  I am a subscriber to EBay's Terapeak research service, and the problem exists there as well.  I was only able to figure this out after comparing my own transactions with the database.  I would be happy to be proven wrong or corrected.  EBay staff, am I missing something?  Do you see this as a problem?  Thanks, Ryan

@alcoforever the reply to this question can be read here. I don't have any updates or new information but it's something I'm still looking into. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 37 of 88
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

It took me more than 15 minutes to post my last reply because I kept getting an HTML error for posting a link to the selling forum- then when I correct  the post I kept seeing this new post flooding issue- now we can't post more than once every 2 minutes? These Khoros issues are going from bad to worse. Also note that it says "tried" to post- none of them successfully posted because of the HTML error so there was no actual post flooding.

flooding.jpg

@coffeebean832  If you are using the desktop site you can do "ctrl + shift + v" to help with the HTML error.  It will post whatever you copied as plain text and strip any formatting.

Message 38 of 88
latest reply

@carolynnq wrote:

As a buyer, I think it would be great if there could be an "instant decision" icon next to the Best Offer option when the seller has settings to automatically accept/decline offers.

If I make an offer, I may get an instant response or the seller may respond in 5 min - or two days. While I'm waiting for a response, another buyer might swoop in and buy it. And while the offer is under consideration, I can't purchase one from a different seller in case my offer is accepted.

For an example, I narrowed my choices down to two sellers who both had one-day handling time. The price of one was $20. The other was $30, but that seller was closer geographically to me so I would have been willing to pay a little more to hopefully get the item quicker because it had less distance to travel. The listing had Best Offer and I would have offered $25 if I knew I would get an immediate decision.

Hi @carolynnq - this is actually an idea we've tested in the past, to mixed results, and the test was ended. I like your wording suggestion though! Just as a thought - many sellers (myself included) input an auto-decline amount only. For your idea to work as a truly helpful feature, wouldn't a seller need to have both an automatic decline and an automatic accept amount listed? 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 39 of 88
latest reply

Also on a side note, eBay's shipping system has been broken for nearly two weeks now.  I finally had to shut my store down because of it.  My understanding is this is a known high priority bug.  I know it is a tech issue so not much the board staff can do.  I find it very frustrating that a critical part of the site has been allowed to be broken for this long though.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 40 of 88
latest reply

Brian,

Since your customer service department is not helpful....I am trying to reach out to someone that could answer a question. 

What is ebay doing to support the sellers and buyers with the current shipping problems by USPS? I am a seller who has sold items. But a lot of items are taking very long got get to their buyers. 3 months to Australia, 3 weeks for a USPS priority box to go from Florida to Los Angeles. I have a few buyers that want refunds. If I issue a refund and then the items gets delivered late, then I have lost out on the item and the refunded dollars. It would be great if ebay was recalculating the arrival dates of packages so buyers are **bleep** off that their items hasn't gotten to them. In addition, it would be nice if ebay was telling buyers about the postal delays. I have searched for USPS service delays in your forum and can't find a thing about it. Am I the only seller with this problem?

Thanks

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 41 of 88
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @hknumismatics - thanks for the suggestion, and I'm sorry to hear you've had a few items be so delayed. For items like you've described (shipping internationally via a surface mail option) the extended delivery ranges are the extent of the protection offered.

For items that you are sending surface mail, you could consider extending your handling time out as far as you can, which could help increase the delivery window!

How will extending the handling time help with a longer delivery window? Doesn't eBay provide estimated delivery based on historical shipping time- not actual handling time? If a seller pushes out their handling time 10 days and actually waits 10 days to ship then they're really not getting any kind of extension. If a seller pushes out their handling time 10 days and ships next day historically they're not getting any kind of extension that way, either.

Message 42 of 88
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

With the recent change to the way fees are changed for sellers in managed payments (and soon everyone) Is there a comprehensive help page that explains how fees are charged? 

@golfingaddict  - one note on this subject is that the current help pages for fees in Managed Payments have some incorrect and misleading information.  They indicate that sales tax is currently being included in the final value fee calculation, but eBay has pushed that part of the policy back to September 1st.

tyler@ebay confirmed this in the chat on August 12th, and I have been pushing for an update to the policy pages and an official announcement, but so far it hasn't happened. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Sales-Tax-Included-in-Fees-for-MP-September-1st-Follow-Up/m-p...

So yes, I absolutely agree with you that eBay needs to have a comprehensive help page for MP with accurate and up to date information, and I also hope they do a much better job of communicating important changes to policies in the future as well.

Message 43 of 88
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@sniperwolves wrote:

I am begging for some help. I was told on the forums that weekly chat may be of some help.

I am a bit concerned, as I have approx. $15,000.00 worth of inventory in smoking cessation products, with more on the way.

I acquired this inventory  in May.

80% of my sales are smoking cessation products. I tried to paste the  last 90 days sales, but it wouldn’t come through.

I understand that I can no longer sell these products under managed payments.

I got an email that as of July I5th, I  should register for managed payments. I did not register

I sold approx. $ 4000.00 worth of these products since June 8th  and have acquired a loyal following to purchase these products.

Would like to know if my name can be removed from Managed Payments until these items are an allowed part of the managed payment system, or at least until I sell off all this inventory!

I will not be purchasing more inventory, obviously, as I may be stuck with what I have.

I tried to list more product, but got a pop up that now I cannot list anymore items until I sign up for MP:

Effective immediately, your ability to list new items has been interrupted. To continue listing on eBay, please register now at ebay.com/startpayments.

Can someone please understand I really need to be exempt from managed payments, at least temporarily.?

My finances  will be ruined if I cannot sell off  this inventory I have acquired.

These items have an expiry date, and I cannot hold them for months, years, until these products can be sold.

PLEASE HELP get this email to someone who can help me with this situation. 

Much appreciated if you can help, or pass this onto appropriate managed payment person who can fix this for me.  I am praying you can help me!

brian@ebay, your link is going to a private board that is not accessible to the rank-and-file community members.

Would you please post the steps your provided there publically, so that other members will also be able to benefit from the information.

Message 44 of 88
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

Also on a side note, eBay's shipping system has been broken for nearly two weeks now.  I finally had to shut my store down because of it.  My understanding is this is a known high priority bug.  I know it is a tech issue so not much the board staff can do.  I find it very frustrating that a critical part of the site has been allowed to be broken for this long though.

Sorry to hear this, but what is broken?  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 45 of 88
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: