cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, August 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have!

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Community Chat, August 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

I am begging for some help. I was told on the forums that weekly chat may be of some help.

I am a bit concerned, as I have approx. $15,000.00 worth of inventory in smoking cessation products, with more on the way.

I acquired this inventory  in May.

80% of my sales are smoking cessation products. I tried to paste the  last 90 days sales, but it wouldn’t come through.

I understand that I can no longer sell these products under managed payments.

I got an email that as of July I5th, I  should register for managed payments. I did not register

I sold approx. $ 4000.00 worth of these products since June 8th  and have acquired a loyal following to purchase these products.

Would like to know if my name can be removed from Managed Payments until these items are an allowed part of the managed payment system, or at least until I sell off all this inventory!

I will not be purchasing more inventory, obviously, as I may be stuck with what I have.

I tried to list more product, but got a pop up that now I cannot list anymore items until I sign up for MP:

Effective immediately, your ability to list new items has been interrupted. To continue listing on eBay, please register now at ebay.com/startpayments.

Can someone please understand I really need to be exempt from managed payments, at least temporarily.?

My finances  will be ruined if I cannot sell off  this inventory I have acquired.

These items have an expiry date, and I cannot hold them for months, years, until these products can be sold.

PLEASE HELP get this email to someone who can help me with this situation. 

Much appreciated if you can help, or pass this onto appropriate managed payment person who can fix this for me.  I am praying you can help me!

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 2 of 88
latest reply

What eBay seller protections against INR and shipping made by surface mail can you offer? Because the current ones are not quite doing the job sufficiently.

Currently to/from a lot of destinations worldwide mail is going by surface (i.e. ship/lorry/rail) only. Especially for intercontinental mail this means a significant delay with delivery times in the 2-3 month time span (usually 1-2 weeks to get onto a ship, 3-6 weeks on a ship, 1-2 weeks to clear customs and then the domestic delivery time in destination country).

The extended delivery times whereby eBay has added 2 weeks or so to the normal projected delivery times does often only push expected delivery date to 4-6 weeks from sending. This means that an INR can be opened, ruled in favour of the buyer (naturally there are no tracking updates when it is on the ship or awaiting customs clearance), and the 30 days appeal window all pass before the item is even meant to have reached its final destination!

As a seller I have to ship a lot of items by surface mail, as no buyer will pay courier delivery fees for cheap items. It also arises when a buyer insists to have something shipped to a PO Box or APO etc. to which a courier cannot ship.

My suggestion to an easy fix for this would be to introduce a new shipping form at the invoicing stage "Standard International Surface Shipping" or similar that automatically puts the expected arrival date at least at 60 days.

Thoughts?

So far this year I have lost 3 or 4 cases like this, and in each case I eventually got delivery proof - but always after the appeal period had expired.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 3 of 88
latest reply

Since implemented there have been numerous complaints regarding how the Service Metrics policies are unfair to sellers.  They have no regard for the quality or the outcome of a case.  They come off as nothing more than a cash grab by eBay.  If it was a system that rewarded good selling habits and customer service it would be a totally different story.

Due to these policies and the problems they create I see no other option than to use a second selling account to sell my higher return items.  The thing is the policies are vague and I am not 100% sure what will happen between the two accounts.  I plan on following all policies.  Shipping purchases within my specified handling time.  Accepting all buyer returns against my will.

My question is this, since eBay has no plans on fixing this policy what happens when my second linked account hits very high SNAD returns?  I am fine with paying the 5% penalty fee on the “risky” item account.  Example main account has average SNAD % but second account has 5%-20% returns rate.

Message 4 of 88
latest reply

Can Ebay answer definitively whether or not sellers in Managed Payments are allowed to list adult books and magazines in the Everything Else category?

Thank you

----

Message 5 of 88
latest reply

A major hurricane making landfall later tonight along the northwestern Gulf Coast will cause severe disruptions in the region. I haven't seen any announcements from eBay about seller protection for folks down here. Is eBay planning to address this?

Message 6 of 88
latest reply

@sniperwolves wrote:

I am begging for some help. I was told on the forums that weekly chat may be of some help.

I am a bit concerned, as I have approx. $15,000.00 worth of inventory in smoking cessation products, with more on the way.

I acquired this inventory  in May.

80% of my sales are smoking cessation products. I tried to paste the  last 90 days sales, but it wouldn’t come through.

I understand that I can no longer sell these products under managed payments.

I got an email that as of July I5th, I  should register for managed payments. I did not register

I sold approx. $ 4000.00 worth of these products since June 8th  and have acquired a loyal following to purchase these products.

Would like to know if my name can be removed from Managed Payments until these items are an allowed part of the managed payment system, or at least until I sell off all this inventory!

I will not be purchasing more inventory, obviously, as I may be stuck with what I have.

I tried to list more product, but got a pop up that now I cannot list anymore items until I sign up for MP:

Effective immediately, your ability to list new items has been interrupted. To continue listing on eBay, please register now at ebay.com/startpayments.

Can someone please understand I really need to be exempt from managed payments, at least temporarily.?

My finances  will be ruined if I cannot sell off  this inventory I have acquired.

These items have an expiry date, and I cannot hold them for months, years, until these products can be sold.

PLEASE HELP get this email to someone who can help me with this situation. 

Much appreciated if you can help, or pass this onto appropriate managed payment person who can fix this for me.  I am praying you can help me!

@sniperwolves I actually just replied to your other post here. You'll need to follow the step I provided in that thread to speak with the payments them. They'll be able to help you out 🙂

Brian,
Community Team
Message 7 of 88
latest reply

As a buyer, I think it would be great if there could be an "instant decision" icon next to the Best Offer option when the seller has settings to automatically accept/decline offers.

If I make an offer, I may get an instant response or the seller may respond in 5 min - or two days. While I'm waiting for a response, another buyer might swoop in and buy it. And while the offer is under consideration, I can't purchase one from a different seller in case my offer is accepted.

For an example, I narrowed my choices down to two sellers who both had one-day handling time. The price of one was $20. The other was $30, but that seller was closer geographically to me so I would have been willing to pay a little more to hopefully get the item quicker because it had less distance to travel. The listing had Best Offer and I would have offered $25 if I knew I would get an immediate decision.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 8 of 88
latest reply

I wish you good luck - I hope someone here can help.  (Camel non-filter x50 years)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 88
latest reply

I finally upgraded to a new phone, and am considering using it to list (I currently use my PC). One thing that concerns me: It is my understanding that if I use the ebay app's listing tool and do NOT offer free shipping , if the item remains unsold for a period of time (two weeks, or so I've been told), ebay will unilaterally change my shipping designation to free shipping. Could you check with the appropriate team to either get confirmation or denial of that?

Message 10 of 88
latest reply

Good afternoon eBay Support team!

Subject: INR claims

There seems to be a significant uptick in INR claim threads here and it seems like the carriers are the ones taking longer to do their part in the transaction process.  Does it make sense to delay the time that a Buyer can process an INR claim by say 7 days (after the estimated delivery) to allow carriers to complete deliveries during our country's current situation?  It may also make sense to add time to the claim process for Sellers to let packages get delivered as well.  I am thinking more in terms of Sellers who lose the item and the money when they refund an INR and then the package winds up being delivered a few days later (or longer of course).

Regards,

Mr. L

-----

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 88
latest reply

Post 37  from last week's chat was never answered, at least not in a form that the rest of us could read.   Below is a cut & paste of the topic:

Hi.  In the extensive database of past sales that are searchable by EBay sellers and buyers, EBay's price data does not appear to capture the price reductions when a lower offer is accepted by the seller (with respect to a "Best Offer" listing).  In this way, the "Sold for" prices are arguably artificially inflated, misleading, and suggest that items have a higher value than they actually do in the EBay marketplace.  I am a subscriber to EBay's Terapeak research service, and the problem exists there as well.  I was only able to figure this out after comparing my own transactions with the database.  I would be happy to be proven wrong or corrected.  EBay staff, am I missing something?  Do you see this as a problem?  Thanks, Ryan

Message 12 of 88
latest reply

Hello,  Was there any notice give to sellers that eBay was going to make the buyers email address Anonymous?.  I use several apps for order management and shipping. I send HTML coded emails with order confirmation, invoices, tracking information, and then review and feedback requests a week after receipt. These emails are all HTML formatted with images of the items and other images. The eBay messaging system is stripping out these images making my emails less effective.    I need to now go into my programs and change all of my templates,  I should of had some notice so I could have done this before the change.   

John Norman
Max Optical

-----

Message 13 of 88
latest reply

I just popped in here to post that...i will check. THANK YOU

Message 14 of 88
latest reply

Please see attached error message that appears at the payment/checkout stage for buyers that have a primary shipping address in USA, but wish to change to a foreign shipping address in a country that is not on my exemptions.

This example is from a buyer in Mexico that has a primary shipping address in USA, and a secondary in Mexico [His address is cropped out of the photo but it is in Mexico]. I had initially invoiced him to his USA address, but written a message that delivery would take 2-3 months by sea and asked if he had a Mexico address as I could ship airmail to Mexico. He tried to change the address at checkout and was presented with this message.

I have a suspicion that it may not be possible to change it at the checkout as shipping fee may be affected (In my case it would not be as my shipping fee is USD 10 worldwide for registered mail), but the ERROR MESSAGE IS WRONG. If the message should be "You will need to change your primary shipping address in account settings, and then ask the seller for a new invoice", then that is what it should say.

My issue with this is that I have shipped out a total of 2 orders this way manually to the address we agreed by messages - but they have been giving me shipping defects. I believe the online tracking search link between eBay and hongkongpost.hk is trying to link the recipient country, as else they should link without problems. It has caused me to lose TRS for this evaluation in US region [3 out of 6 defects come from this, 2 further for no reason at all (the tracking is correctly uploaded and it has scans on hongkongpost.hk, but for some random reason the link to ebay's tracking does not work)].

What can be done for this? Should the seller get shipping defects because eBay's system is giving erraneous information at payment stage and the buyer is unable to pay with the shipping address he wants it shipped to?

I just had a new case of this happen in the past week with a Japanese buyer with primary shipping address in USA (which I noticed when I was about to invoice him and decided not to invoice, but instead message him). He could not change at checkout (despite me never even invoicing him), but once I instructed him to make his Japanese address his primary shipping address I could issue an invoice to that and he could pay it. (As a seller I can only ever issue invoices to the buyer's primary shipping address and never have access to their other listed delivery addresses).

So I have basically figured out how to work around this issue (with some support of the buyer) - but it does not solve the fact that due to technical issues and faulty error message from eBay I have received 3 shipping defects that has lost me TRS for this period for US sales region, and will continue to do so most likely for another 2 months.

Message 15 of 88
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: