cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Aug 29th @ 1pm PT - Stronger Browser Security Standards

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

On 8/23, we announced Stronger Browser Security Standards Ahead

During this Community chat session, we will answer any questions that you may have on this topic. 

Chat with you then! slight_smile

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining us today, the thread is now open for replies! 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

Thanks for the tool for active listings...........works great for me........

But most of us also have unsold listings and listings stored in TL, 6 Bit, etc.....that we can't check until they are active......

So what happens we we try to relist these?......will the ones that have problems be flagged (stopped) or will they just be listed and then we are responsible for doing checks on them?

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

And one more question.......I've a vague memory or dream, lol, that there is something else that has to be done after the listings check out ok..... something to do with putting the https (whatever) somewhere......  Am I dreaming?

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Thanks for the tool for active listings...........works great for me........

But most of us also have unsold listings and listings stored in TL, 6 Bit, etc.....that we can't check until they are active......

So what happens we we try to relist these?......will the ones that have problems be flagged (stopped) or will they just be listed and then we are responsible for doing checks on them?

Thanks for your question. We're glad you're happy with the tool. 

As of right now, this tool will only check your active listings. However, when you list these previously-inactive items, they won't be blocked. They will get the "see full description" button treatment until you make them compliant with the new HTTPS security standard. At the point they become compliant, that button would be removed and they would show up as they do today. 

We are working on a tool that will fall within Seller Hub that can check both active and zero-stock listings. Thanks! 

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

How will non-compliant descriptions be handled once Google Chrome goes live with this? I assume listings will still appear, but with a button of some sort to open the full description. When that opens, will the noncompliant description be shown? And if so, will there be an "insecure" warning from Chrome?
Message 6 of 39
latest reply

While I was updating my listings to change cited images to https://, I noticed that the HTML code required to specify up to 800 characters of text as a "snippet" uses only http://.  Should I change this, too?  Or does it matter at all?

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 7 of 39
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

And one more question.......I've a vague memory or dream, lol, that there is something else that has to be done after the listings check out ok..... something to do with putting the https (whatever) somewhere......  Am I dreaming?

Once the listings check out okay on the i-ways tool, there is nothing additional you have to do :). You will be compliant and should not see the "see full item description" button. Thanks!

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

If a listing is non-compliant, that listing will appear on eBay and the item description will be one click away. This keeps the main listing page secure and prevents Chrome from displaying the 'Not secure' warning. When somebody views the item description that's one click away, the only time when that page will be flagged by Chrome as 'Not secure' is if the page contains any text-entry fields (such as a search box) and the visitor starts typing into one of those fields.

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

What happens to images stored on a noncompliant HTTPS server?

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Is it possible for eBay to include a link within the Description text that jumps directly to the uploaded gallery images?

As it stands now, users have to scroll up to the gallery images and then back down to the Description.  The situation is worse when the user selects "See full description" and then cannot see the images at all.  Also, the Payments & Shipping tab is not available without backing out of the "full description" pop-up window.  

Could eBay add the appropriate links or tabs to ALL windows?

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Thanks, Sandy........  depending on how important you (ebay) think compliance is, a warning on the relist might get the attention of some. 

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

What happens to images stored on a noncompliant HTTPS server?

should be HTTP server

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

While I was updating my listings to change cited images to https://, I noticed that the HTML code required to specify up to 800 characters of text as a "snippet" uses only http://.  Should I change this, too?  Or does it matter at all?

~~C~~

Thanks for the question. That instance of http will not be impacted by Google since it is not something that pulls content into the listing (e.g. photo, video, etc).  

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

Thanks for joining us today, the thread is now open for replies! 

If Ebay put all pages and everything on their site under HTTPS, would that not eliminate the problem?

Message 15 of 39
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: