cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Aug 22nd from 1:00 pm PDT - Managed Payments on eBay

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Sellers,

Join eBay’s Vikas Mehta who is leading the rollout of Payments in North America on our Community Chat.  For those invited to pre-register for the initial phase, here’s your opportunity to ask any questions you may have.  And for those not partaking in the launch, find out what’s ahead. 

This chat thread will open for questions at 1 pm and it will close for new questions at 2 pm. 

Chat with you then! 

*To be mindful of sellers’ time and contribution, please focus your comments and questions regarding the topic of the chat. Keeping in mind the Community’s Rules of Engagement when you post. Non-constructive/disrespectful comments will be removed by our moderation team so that the thread can focus on a productive discussion. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Community Chat, Aug 22nd from 1:00 pm PDT - Managed Payments on eBay

Is there any way to determine the exact way that we are receiving payments today?

I understand that paypal payments can be made with existing balance or bank account or credit card:

Buyers can also pay direct with credit card now, I am guessing paypal is the gateway for that?  I am also guessing that ebay guests without a paypal account are using the credit card payment method (through paypal?)

What stands out for me is the unknown:  Exactly how many of my buyers are depending on a paypal account and how many buyers am I potentially going to be turning away because if I am in the launch, I cannot take a paypal payment.

Since ebay/paypal is so secretive with hard facts, I cannot make an educated decision when it comes to enrolling in this launch.  While I would like to do it, I hate to be turning away customers at the busiest time of the year because they can't use their paypal accounts to pay.

Help me here.. Give me facts and data on my account.  How are my buyers paying and will it be impacted if I do not take paypal?   Who can give me this information?  (obviously I do not want that data in this chat, but someone should be able to privately tell me or discuss this)

You are asking us to enroll in this with a big caveat, we cannot take paypal.  It's a big leap with little facts or information.

Message 31 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@laylajames9 wrote:

- From the time the buyer pays, how long before those funds are available in the seller's bank account?

Hi @laylajames9.  We want sellers to receive their funds as quickly as possible.    Generally, you’ll get paid daily and directly to your bank account, regardless of which payment option the buyer selects.  Depending on your bank, you can typically expect payouts to be sent to your bank account within 2-4 business days of an order confirmation.

Message 32 of 68
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@laylajames9 wrote:

- How long will it take for a refund to post to the buyer's account?

- Will a seller have non-refundable transaction fees when an item is canceled and refunded?

Hi @laylajames9, the refund timing won't change once we migrate over to managed payments.

Regarding payment processing fees in case of refunds - for those in the initial launch, you will not be charged the fixed part (typically 30 cents) of the payment processing fee; i.e. no flat fees on refunds.  

There is NO "flat fee" on refunds with PP either.  You are confusing the 30 cent transaction fee that PP charges.  That is not charged just for a refund, it is on all transaction.  It is just that PP does not refund the 30 cents if the seller fully refunds the buyer.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 68
latest reply

@mcjbob wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mendelsons wrote:

Are you going to brand it with something other than Managed Payments ?  How are you going to sell it to your shoppers ?

Hi @mendelsons, thanks for being the first question in our chat today.  Our vision is to create a modern marketplace and managing payments is a core component to enable this.  We want payments on eBay to be seamless, frictionless, and to allow maximum buyer choice to pay.  Buyers will pay how they do today with alternative payment options, and sellers will receive funds how they want.  We won't look to create a separate brand or sell it to shoppers.

With regard to  "sellers will receive funds how they want."  Does this mean I will be able to leave funds as I now do with PayPaL, use this for postage and eBay purhases? I sure do not want funds depositerd with each payment, and debited from my bank with each purchase.

Hi @mcjbob

I'll take this one as we've already answered it. 

You will not be able to use funds from sales for postage and eBay purchases. You will be able to deposit funds daily to your bank account. 

Thank you. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 34 of 68
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@laylajames9 wrote:
- Will a seller have non-refundable transaction fees when an item is canceled and refunded?

Hi @laylajames9, Regarding payment processing fees in case of refunds - for those in the initial launch, you will not be charged the fixed part (typically 30 cents) of the payment processing fee; i.e. no flat fees on refunds.  

No fixed fee, at least for the initial launch and that can change with the next rollout, but what about % fee? In other words, will the seller have ANY fees when they refund through a cancellation?

Message 35 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lecroy3 wrote:

Thanks for your answer. What are the choices for sellers to receive funds?

Hi @lecroy3, sellers can receive their funds in which ever bank account they choose. 

Some sellers have been sharing that this presents a good opportunity to manage their business transactions in a separate bank account which will make the movement of money more transparent.

Message 36 of 68
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@laylajames9 wrote:

- From the time the buyer pays, how long before those funds are available in the seller's bank account?

Hi @laylajames9.  We want sellers to receive their funds as quickly as possible.    Generally, you’ll get paid daily and directly to your bank account, regardless of which payment option the buyer selects.  Depending on your bank, you can typically expect payouts to be sent to your bank account within 2-4 business days of an order confirmation.

Which for some seller is a HUGE lag time on available funds.  With PP, they are available right away in most cases.  There of course are a few exceptions.  But for the most part you are asking sellers to have to wait upwards of a week to have available funds [2-4 business days out of 5].  I can live with it, but there are many out there that can not.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 37 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcjbob wrote:

I have my own sales, and also sell for others. I have one eBay account, and two PayPal accounts where funds are directed. 

Will I be able to have one ebay seller account, and two different acconts for payments?  

Hi @mcjbob.  Good question.  In the initial launch, we are asking sellers to associate a single bank account per eBay account.  If this is of value, we would be happy to take it back to the team for assessment.

Message 38 of 68
latest reply

I can not have/do not want to have multiple transactions for money in/out of my bank account on a daily basis.

Where will my money be before it is transferred?

Can I use it from there before it hits my bank account? 

Buyers can't use PayPal (initally).  Loss of sales????

Message 39 of 68
latest reply

With all these GLITCHES coming up with Ebay. Has this been used on maybe a Ebay test store or is it rolling out for the early bird sellers to test?

Message 40 of 68
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lecroy3 wrote:

Will we be able to purchase shipping labels and/or Ebay merchandise with our funds before they are deposited into our bank accounts? If not, what is the Ebay shipping label purchase procedure?

The shipping label purchase procedure stays the same as it is today -- you will use your paypal account to purchase labels.  Regarding buying shipping labels or eBay merchandise before funds hit your bank account - thats not possible.  We want sellers to access their funds as soon as possible which is why we are initiating daily payouts as soon as eBay receives the funds. 

But none of the funds are going into the PP account, so we would have to fund them another way?!?!?

I'm seeing a bit of an issue looming here. Let's say I get payment for a fairly sizeable object (e.g. a bowling ball) with a hefty Shipping cost that the buyer has paid for. If I want to buy the Shipping label using those funds, it sounds like I have to wait for the funds to show up in my bank account before I can ship the item. Is that correct? 

In the present setup, the buyer pays me in PayPal, and I can turn around and ship within minutes, using those funds. Under the scheme you're outlining here, it sounds as if I might have to wait possibly even overnight before seeing the Shipping money in my bank account that the buyer has provided. Is that correct?

I cannot upload funds to PayPal for Shipping if I don't have the funds. While I could keep a slush fund from prior sales in PayPal for Shipping, I can't use those funds for purchases if the seller isn't going to be able to accept PayPal, and thus I end up having to make a best-guess as to how much to allocate in PayPal for future shipping vs. how much to allocate elsewhere for future purchases. This does not seem to simplify... well, anything, really.

Message 41 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@where*you*crowin wrote:

Two questions:

1. What EXACTLY are the fees? Are they expected to be the same for every seller AFTER beta ends?

2) Will there be other options for deposits besides every day? In otherr words, can a seller choose to have deposits made 1x per week, 2x per week, 1x per month, etc.?

Thanks.

Hi @where*you*crowin,  Great question regarding fees and payout schedules. Our goal is to have selling fees lower than they are today. 

The payment processing fees for the initial launch are a flat 2.7% with no fixed fee, and no refund fees.  This is your rate through 2021 for signing up for the initial launch of managed payments

Over time,  we may make changes to the way the fees are structured or bundled in the future. We have no plans to change pricing at this time and are committed to leveraging payments as a way to deliver more value to our sellers

Great question about deposit frequency.  We have heard this from our sellers as an ask and while not available for the initial launch, is something we're looking at.

Message 42 of 68
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@laylajames9 wrote:

But why, with Paypal right now I can receive my money in minutes, why is eBay not adopting that model?

Message 43 of 68
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Will ebay deposit funds to a PayPal account?

Hi @gracieallen01

Thanks for your question. Funds will be directly deposited to the sellers nominated bank account. 

Hope this helps! 

Message 44 of 68
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I can not have/do not want to have multiple transactions for money in/out of my bank account on a daily basis.

Where will my money be before it is transferred?

Can I use it from there before it hits my bank account? 

Buyers can't use PayPal (initally).  Loss of sales????

Many banks limit the number of transactions allowed per month.
The number is significantly less than 31.
After that, a fee is assessed for each transaction.
I will have to find a new BANK, and open a new account, once this change becomes mandatory.
Not a happy camper!

Message 45 of 68
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: