cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, April 28 @ 1:00 pm PT - eBay standard envelope

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat. This week we’re joined by the eBay standard envelope team. They are here to address any questions you may have about this shipping option and the recent expansion to additional categories. 

You can read more about the program itself here, here and here.

We are also aware that USPS First Class Package is not showing up as a shipping option in the listing flow for some members in the mobile app and desktop. This is urgently being worked on and we anticipate a quick resolution.  

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. We’ll review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT, at which point the thread will be closed from additional responses. After that time, the team will continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be answered after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

Re: Community Chat, April 28 @ 1:00 pm PT - eBay standard envelope

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

What does ebay consider "delivered" for a standard envelope? Does "out for delivery" qualify? Or just what does it take? 

Could you provide a screen shot of what a typical standard envelope tracking report looks like?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  Hi, the delivery expectations are the same for eBay standard envelope as with all other shipping options. You are still responsible for getting the order to the buyer in good shape.  From time to time, eBay standard envelope shipments unfortunately may not track all the way through delivery to your buyer. This does not necessarily mean the item has not been delivered, just that the last delivery event was not uploaded into the system. If there is an issue, each eBay standard envelope shipment includes a $20 shipping protection plan on a single or der and up to $50 on combined orders to help in case of lost or damaged items. eBay’s seller levels and performance standards apply as they would for any typical eBay order. I will ask the team for a screenshot.

Message 91 of 107
latest reply

@star.fighter wrote:

Hi- i am mostly a (power) buyer, and lately, i have had a ridiculous number of sellers taking advantage of the covid shipping delays. they don't ship for days and days... but they don't enter any tracking number because it's not required.   we have no way to know if the package is sent or not, and ebay doesn't require them to mark that it's shipped... so, i have no idea if it's been shipped or not.

We aren't supposed to bug sellers about shipping, so i just wait and wait... until the arrival date. but then when that date arrives and no package...if i go to ebay form to say i haven't received my package, there is a huge banner that tells us to be patient about the shipping.

I do try to be patent.

After a week or more of not receiving past the due date, i contact the seller to ask status. some will tell me they shipped... others will give all sorts of excuses, and i keep trying to allow them time. unfortunately, i allowed one person too much time and i apparently am totally out the money. In that case, he finally marked the package as "shipped" on April 20, but i am in the same state and it didn't arrive. so, did he ship it? doubtful... but it is now over 30 days past the initial arrival date, so i cannot even be automatically covered.

How do i handle this? On one hand, we are being told to be patient, and we don't have any status to reference...but on the other hand, if i don't report the seller in time, I LOSE.

I know ebay is different because it's individual sellers -- not professionals. however, the sellers are making ME feel like i'm not being understanding if they don't ship in a reasonable timeframe. I don't want to come across as insensitive...but, this is now very rampant. I have had 3 sellers this month just not ship. One finally reimbursed via ebay, and i am still waiting on responses from the other 2.

I am active within the ebay community, so i understand this. but, someone who isn't active would not. this is not good for ebay or for any of the other sellers on here -- it trashes ebay's image, and creates bad impressions of ebay.

no matter what... i need some guidelines and suggestions as to what i should be doing when there is no tracking number. Once the receive date is past, do i then give the seller covid space, or not? if i send a mssg, they have excuses... so, then i end up waiting longer. but, i hate to open a not-received too soon. HELP!

@star.fighter buyers have 30 days from the estimated delivery date to open an Item Not Received case. As long as you open it within that timeframe then you'll be protection. How long you choose to wait is a personal choice, but if the seller hasn't provided tracking then it's reasonable to open a case as soon as possible to ensure you are protected and get a timely refund.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 92 of 107
latest reply

@mgcman8888 wrote:

Since Puerto Rico will not be added to the Standard Envelope service, how can I exclude them when creating a listing (using Auctiva) that is being offered with that service? They are part of the United States and have a U.S. Zip Code, but if something is purchased under a Std Env listing, my options are to ship without a tracking number in a plain white stamped envelope, which affects my uploaded tracking number metrics and makes me assume all risks of loss or damage, or pay $3.49 for shipping 1st Class Package in order to get a tracking number.

@mgcman8888  I'm not able to give specific steps using a third party listing tool, but in eBay shipping preferences, you can exclude certain territories and regions. I would recommend asking Auctiva for guidance in this instance. 

Message 93 of 107
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

"If I use Flat, can I set a price higher than the Standard Envelope price? In other words, a 3 oz envelope....could I put in $1.00 rather than 91 cents?"

---------

Unless this also has changed with the introduction of Standard Envelope, eBay charges you 10% or more fee on your shipping charges, so you need to charge your buyers at least 10% more than the actual cost of shipping to break even.

SE team: is that 10%+ fee still in effect for SE users?

@vrykalak Correct, there isn't any change with the way fees are calculated with this service. Your fees are calculated on the total cost to the buyer, including shipping.

Message 94 of 107
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Sorry for the out of band post, but yesterday's "eBay Standard Envelope" was not the only event. The "My eBay All Selling" page quietly slipped almost into oblivion last weekend.

The new “All Selling” page lacks at-a-glance summary information:

The now almost defunct “My eBay All Selling” page included a “Totals” summary displaying “Listed”, “Will sell”, “Bids”, and “Amount”. The “Sold” panel below with the “Amount” was also useful as was payments received and not received.  The listing of active auctions was also easier to read. Now what?

The new “All Selling” page is dysfunctional. Although it displays Active listings, it does not display the number of active auctions. The Tasks panel seems to have no immediate use.  Why place it at the top? The “Sales” panel is too general to be of immediate use.

The “Active listings” view does not display enough items per page and is difficult to navigate. If I have 50, 200 listings, how do I navigate to ones with a specific price range without clicking and scrolling multiple times, if the listings are sorted by price? Navigation controls should be at the top and bottom, not just at the bottom, buried in the middle of the page. The control should navigate to any page, not just a few.

The page does not allow choice of columns. The Custom Label (SKU) is essential for searching.

While the All Selling “Active” page can be configured and does not have extraneous views at the end of the page, it cannot be sorted.

So, I see two similar pages. One cannot be configured for columns. The other cannot be configured for sorting. Why? I was able to get the “Active” page to display auctions first, but is the view stable? Does the page allow sorting by multiple columns and are settings “sticky”. Can more than one sort setting be saved and used quickly?

What about summary information? I have perhaps 30 seconds to view and understand auction status? How can I do that on eBay now that the classic “My eBay All Selling” page is all but defunct? While the information can still be grabbed with a screen shot, it goes away after a few seconds. Is that intentional?

Hi @clarkphilatelics - thanks for this input on the All Selling page. I'd strongly recommend you share this feedback in the feedback or comments links on the pages so that it can get directly to the developers in charge of these pages. 

There's also a post with some common how-tos here. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 95 of 107
latest reply

@jreeves2017 wrote:

How do I get subscribers to my newsletter?

if I check the box that says "add a link to subscribe to my newsletter", it simply ads a link that says "Contact Seller".

That's no help.

Any ideas?

Jennifer

@jreeves2017 - I see the link on your items! It's just not 'above the fold', it's right above your description box:

JREEVES.JPG

Tyler,
eBay
Message 96 of 107
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

I sell stamps and color slides. Although I used #6 envelopes with comic book card stiffeners in a 705 approval card to ship, I found that cardboard '"floppy disk" mailers used to protect cardboard color slide mounts were also more effective for stamps. Although the #6 envelopes could be mailed without the now 20 cent rigid (or square) envelope surcharge, the envelopes were marginal with respect to the bending requirement for machinable envelopes. Instead, I have been using the safer rigid envelopes, paying the surcharge. Stamps are used because they arrive in collections or can be purchased as between 40 and 50 percent of face.

What is an "eBay standard envelope" and what do labels look like. What size are they? Can they be printed directly on a non-rigid envelope? What if the envelope is rejected by USPS as not being machinable or square? is it possible to print the label for tracking only without postage (to be paid with stamps)? How does eBay bill for the labels? Can eBay include a rollup of postage, sale amount, fee amount and the amount paid in the Managed Payment summary window?  (Currently eBay, does not provide totals for fees or total sales. The paid amount is the only amount totaled.)  Will the additional cost of eBay labels and additional time potentially needed to sort out eBay postage fees for accounting make this program a non-starter?

@clarkphilatelics 

That is a great approach to shipping stamps and slides. 

The label's aspect ratio on an envelope is ~1.3x2.5. 

eBay standard envelope 1.3"x2.5" aspect ratioeBay standard envelope 1.3"x2.5" aspect ratio

Some sellers have had success printing directly on non-rigid envelopes.  At this time, the eBay Labels platform only prints 8.5"x11" and 4"x6" sizes. Other sellers are printing smaller than 4"x6" by adjusting print settings and adhering the labels to the envelope. I give a little more info in this post from earlier in the chat. 

Q: What if the envelope is rejected by USPS as not being machinable or square?

A: In the same fashion of other services, if a package misses a criteria additional postage will arrive postage due at the buyer's house or the package is delivered and the additional cost is charged back to you/seller at a future date.

Q: Is it possible to print the label for tracking only without postage (to be paid with stamps)?

A: No, eBay standard envelope is an eBay Delivery Service that is available only on eBay Labels. 

Q: How does eBay bill for the labels?

A: You pay for these labels as you would for any other label purchased from eBay Labels. 

Q: Can eBay include a rollup of postage, sale amount, fee amount and the amount paid in the Managed Payment summary window?  (Currently eBay, does not provide totals for fees or total sales. The paid amount is the only amount totaled.)  

A: There are at least two ways where I can think to point you to for detailed information.  You can go the payments transactions report tab in Seller Hub where you can find your transactions and a breakdown of the carrier/eBay Delivery Service label you paid. 

Also in Seller Hub, you can look at the shipping labels section of the orders tab for shipment details/cost and tracking. 

Q: Will the additional cost of eBay labels and additional time potentially needed to sort out eBay postage fees for accounting make this program a non-starter? 

A: I'm not quite sure if you're asking if this is a non-starter for you because of accounting or if you're asking about the program being a non-starter for eBay. This has been an increasingly popular program among sellers and in this chat, we've collected examples and a wish list of categories sellers would like to see added as we grow. I would encourage you to try it if you're selling items in Trading Cards, Coins & Paper Money, Post cards or Stamps.

Thanks so much for participating in today's chat! 

Message 97 of 107
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Seller Hub Running Monthly Total Deficiency

There is NO running MONTHLY total for JUST the Sold Item Amounts (don't need shipping, don't need a total less eBay fees).  The same is true for the All Selling page.

Last 31 days for sales is useless information, why?  Because tomorrow it will be a different set of 31 days, the next day a new set o 31 and on and uselessly on.  Sellers need live running totals BY THE MONTH.  I looked all over, it does not exist.  This is NOT the same thing I brought up last week, this one is mainly about Seller Hub.

This means I have to run my own spreadsheet, meaning eBay has forced more work on me.  I run spreadsheets for all my inventory lots but now, without eBay supporting me as a Seller and providing me with the running Monthly total of JUST sold items I have to keep that myself as an additional step.

And yes, I have already used the Comments link on that page, for what its worth ... doing that for the All Selling page didn't do any good, they have not changed it yet and its been a couple of weeks, NO Urgency from eBay's design department is a real negative aspect of using the venue ...

@mr_lincoln have you tried the Reports section of the Payments tab in Seller Hub? You can select the date range you want there. I just reviewed one of these reports and it breaks out the fees and shipping costs into their own columns as well. You can also select what information you'd like included in the report (screenshot below). 

reports.jpg

Brian,
Community Team
Message 98 of 107
latest reply

@divwido  Um...this is funny.  "POLICE STATION TOILET STOLEN! Cops have nothing to go on." 😂 Thanks for the chuckle and also for joining the chat today! 

Message 99 of 107
latest reply

@yixness wrote:

Most of the things that I can think of on my wish list right now are in the game categories.  The following things are flat and could easily fit into an envelope with less than 1/4" thickness:

Replacement game parts including

• Cards
  • tokens
  • instructions (sometimes, depends on the size)
  • other replacement paper items like play money.  

POGS 

Stickers or Temporary tattoos 

Thank you for compiling a list, @yixness!  

I picked up a couple more from @antiques_sandy  > stickers, craft items (Yes, please!! This is where I'm shopping often other than seed packets.) 

And from @show-go , a request for the Movies category, DVDs/Blu-rays specifically Disc Only (circa Netflix 2000).  

One  more from @vrykalak for pin back buttons.

We appreciate your input! Thanks for joining our chat today. 

Message 100 of 107
latest reply

Thanks Jen!

Always a pleasure to speak with you, @my-cottage-books-and-antiques . Thanks for bringing so many questions to the chat today! 

Message 101 of 107
latest reply

Thanks. One thing...apparently if a seller chooses calculated instead of flat, his items show up in search as ---I forget the actual term, but something like "Shipping needs to be calculated" rather than with a dollar figure. You might want to check into that.

Thanks, @my-cottage-books-and-antiques . I am looking into this. 

I often use calculated as a casual seller and the cost of shipping shows up in search based on zip code and first shipping option in my listing and I'm seeing this mostly across Trading Cards (sampling the listings that can use eBay standard envelope).  However,  I did come across a multi-sku listing from a seller using eBay standard envelope which was clear in listing but in search it stated "shipping not specified".   I'm curious about this one and would like to know.  😊

Message 102 of 107
latest reply

@pokemoncatches wrote:

Why does USPS not know of this service? I understand you can't make literally everyone aware but it was painfully obvious there was no communication. Supervisor and manager were unaware, I now just drop them in the blue box and hope for the best because talking to an employee about it is painful.

@pokemoncatches eBay standard envelope is an eBay delivery service, USPS acceptance scans are not required. Simply drop your shipment off at regular USPS locations, in USPS Blue Box collection bins, or in your mailbox with a raised flag for USPS pickup.  Thanks for using the service!

Message 103 of 107
latest reply

@mgcman8888 wrote:

Since Puerto Rico will not be added to the Standard Envelope service, how can I exclude them when creating a listing (using Auctiva) that is being offered with that service? They are part of the United States and have a U.S. Zip Code, but if something is purchased under a Std Env listing, my options are to ship without a tracking number in a plain white stamped envelope, which affects my uploaded tracking number metrics and makes me assume all risks of loss or damage, or pay $3.49 for shipping 1st Class Package in order to get a tracking number.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Hi @mgcman8888 , 

You can exclude US Protectorates within the business listing tool by the setting in the shipping section called "exclude shipping locations".

Hope that helps!

~Nate

Message 104 of 107
latest reply

@star.fighter wrote:

Okay... so i see this is the same as the trading card envelopes.  As a buyer who has RECEIVED many of these envelopes, i think there need to be some additional guidelines...

1- The USPS will be running these through their MACHINE sorters.  so, the contents need to be in something STIFF.  Amazingly, some of the best stiffener is 8.5x11" sheets of paper (around 2-3 sheets) folded around the cards.

2- The length of the stiffener should be the length of the envelope or the envelope gets folded/indented where there is noting in the envelope.

3- If the cards are smaller than the stiffener, they should be tacked down to prevent from sliding around inside the envelope

I have had content shipped (some worth hundreds of dollars) -- even from Japan -- in envelopes, and out of numerous cards (about 100?), only 1 issue -- and that was because the card was not placed in a proper stiffening material.  Again, the post office WILL treat these just like any other envelope.

Also, the tracking has been great!!  Only issue there is no actual delivery info -- prob bc the mailman does the delivery and so once it goes onto the truck, there is no info.

Question... some will write "Do not bend" or "Hand cancel" -- is that allowed?

Hi @star.fighter , 

Thanks so much for all the feedback and for being a buyer on eBay. I am glad things have gone well for you. To your last question - writing "do not bend", "fragile", or anything of the sorts, etc...is not advised because that would make the shipment non-machinable and currently eBay standard envelope is only supported for machinable envelopes.

Hope that helps!

~Nate

Message 105 of 107
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: