cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, April 28 @ 1:00 pm PT - eBay standard envelope

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat. This week we’re joined by the eBay standard envelope team. They are here to address any questions you may have about this shipping option and the recent expansion to additional categories. 

You can read more about the program itself here, here and here.

We are also aware that USPS First Class Package is not showing up as a shipping option in the listing flow for some members in the mobile app and desktop. This is urgently being worked on and we anticipate a quick resolution.  

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. We’ll review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT, at which point the thread will be closed from additional responses. After that time, the team will continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be answered after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

Re: Community Chat, April 28 @ 1:00 pm PT - eBay standard envelope

@dees_den wrote:

Hi - One of the requirements reads "Envelope has recipient address parallel to the longest side".

I ship postcards with rigid ebay branded mailers (5 x 7 and/or 8 x6 and use 1/2 page shipping labels which I apply vertically and address appears perpendicular to longest side.

Do I need to use a different label with this new standard envelope option?

@dees_den , 

Great questions. Here is a little image I think would support on what the expectation is. Hopefully this is helpful. I wasn't sure how to describe it clearly...a picture is sometime worth...you know 🙂

~Nate

Message 76 of 107
latest reply

I get full tracking with an envelope shipment.  Here is what it looks like from my end as a buyer -- almost same as regular shipments...

Capture--ebay-envelope-tracking.PNGCapture--ebay-envelope-tracking-full.PNG

Message 77 of 107
latest reply

Thanks. One thing...apparently if a seller chooses calculated instead of flat, his items show up in search as ---I forget the actual term, but something like "Shipping needs to be calculated" rather than with a dollar figure. You might want to check into that.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 78 of 107
latest reply

Why does USPS not know of this service? I understand you can't make literally everyone aware but it was painfully obvious there was no communication. Supervisor and manager were unaware, I now just drop them in the blue box and hope for the best because talking to an employee about it is painful.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 79 of 107
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

when creating a listing, I obviously must put in weight. Must I include dimensions as well? (I realize when I ship I need to meet the size requirements....just asking about whether I need to fill this in when creating the listing.)

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

I'm going to make the assumption that most of you/sellers have an idea of what item, which category, and how you're shipping with eBay standard envelope for this answer. slight_smile 

No, listing dimensions of the package as you create the listing is not necessary if you know you're item will fit into a package/envelope 6.125”x11.5” and at least 3.5" x 5" and no more than a quarter inch thick.   

If you're concerned, accuracy and estimates on what it might be are best to include within the listing especially if you're using calculated shipping.  (For flat charges, you would be paying the additional cost, so accuracy also might be important to you.)  

Message 80 of 107
latest reply

I did post it -- look for it.

Message 81 of 107
latest reply

@mgcman8888 wrote:

I've always been taught that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. So with that in mind:

When cutting the Standard Envelope label, do you have to cut it to the size it prints, with the lines, or can you trim it smaller, to make it easier to tape onto a plain white envelope? I've been trimming them, but keep watching to see if I'm going to be hit with additional fees for not following all the requirements.

Hi @mgcman8888 , 

No silly questions 😉

You can trim the label. Make sure you don't trim any of the parts within the border...all of those are the important bits. No issues.

Thanks!

~Nate

Message 82 of 107
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

The chat is now closed. Thanks to everyone who joined us!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 83 of 107
latest reply

@sloppygoose wrote:

Thank you Nate but so far I have found that to not be accurate.  When a charge is listed on my managed payments page it only tells the item # it was from.  Not the order #, tracking #.  I have mostly variation listings and for some, sell 50-60 a month.  There is no way to confirm which specific order goes with which charge.  I have had 2 Customer Service reps tell me the same thing.  After the overcharging debacle last month, not being able to match specific charges with specific orders is disconcerting.

Hey @sloppygoose , 

Thanks for the extra details. I need to dig a little deeper with the team to come back with a proper response. Give me some time to chase this down and we will circle back around to you.

~Nate

Message 84 of 107
latest reply

I physically take my packages to the desk at my small local post office and have them scan them and provide a receipt. But with the Standard Envelope, I should just drop it in the envelope box or the Blue Box outside the PO? Not even hand it to the clerk, is that right? Because they don't actually DO an acceptance scan?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  Yes, you got it! You can simply drop off the envelopes in the box (no need to hand to clerk) as you do not need an acceptance scan, and the tracking will be available on MyeBay or Seller Hub.

Message 85 of 107
latest reply

@show-go wrote:

Hello, I sell in the Movies Category, DVDs/Blu-rays. A lot of my listings are sold as "Disc Only" with no case. USPS allows for discs to be shipped as a letter when enveloped with specific requirements. (Basically the way Netflix used to do it.) But it doesn't have tracking provided. I'm hoping that this new eBay method of shipping will be expanded to this category. Is it on the docket?

-Show-GO

@show-go I remember Netflix envelopes! The best service of the 90s/early 2000s. 😻  This would be a good category to consider. Personally, I don't know the entire list, but we're collecting a wish list here with these examples, and I've shared with my product team as well. They will get to read this conversation, too. 

@yixness - one more for the wish list!

Message 86 of 107
latest reply

If I do send my buyers a message, it would be great if ebay had a page I could link to, designed to provide buyers with information about tracking their standard envelope --- is there a URL for such a page? Or would you consider creating one if there isn't?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques Great suggestion - and yes, we will talk internally about creating a page that educates buyers on how the program works. 

Message 87 of 107
latest reply

If I send an item with the Standard Envelope, does ebay advise the buyer that regular tracking does not apply? Or should I prepare a standard message for my buyers and send each one a message after I ship? And if that is your suggestion, is there a way to automate those messages?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques , 

Thanks for the feedback. This is an awesome suggestion. Let me take this back to the team to see what we can do. We do see that many buyers are tracking their orders in eBay purchase history view, on desktop or in the app, and know that eBay standard envelope events are showing up in those views for the buyers. My suggestion would be to let that be enough, and if a buyer reaches out asking for more details, you could inform them then about the differences in tracking frequency on eBay standard envelope (potentially less frequent) vs. parcel services (potentially more frequent), instead of proactively. 

~Nate 

Message 88 of 107
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

If Coins are allowed to be sent via Standard Envelope--for which huge thanks, even in the few categories currently permitted--let me ask you to include pinback buttons in your list of other categories to be considered.

@vrykalak Hi there, we've noted your request for pinback buttons as we expand categories - thank you!

Message 89 of 107
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

So you are saying.......I will never get a defect for late shipment, failure to get any scans....my metrics will not be affected at all, eBay will refund out of their pocket ( not mine) my unhappy buyers if they never get their card (or claim they never got their card) and tracking does not exist.....

Hi @postcardcountry , 

Thanks. I am trying to say that:

1) If you ship within your stated handling time, you will not get a late shipment defect. This is accounted for on our side, knowing that you do not get an acceptance scan when handing this shipment over to USPS.

2) If tracking doesn't show delivered, you may receive an INR, and the expectation is that you make it right for the buyer. However, in these cases, we encourage you to raise a shipment protection claim with the included protection up to the order value that comes with eBay standard envelope. See more on how to make a protection claim here

Hope that helps!

~Nate

Message 90 of 107
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: