cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, April 28 @ 1:00 pm PT - eBay standard envelope

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat. This week we’re joined by the eBay standard envelope team. They are here to address any questions you may have about this shipping option and the recent expansion to additional categories. 

You can read more about the program itself here, here and here.

We are also aware that USPS First Class Package is not showing up as a shipping option in the listing flow for some members in the mobile app and desktop. This is urgently being worked on and we anticipate a quick resolution.  

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. We’ll review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT, at which point the thread will be closed from additional responses. After that time, the team will continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be answered after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

Re: Community Chat, April 28 @ 1:00 pm PT - eBay standard envelope

Most of the things that I can think of on my wish list right now are in the game categories.  The following things are flat and could easily fit into an envelope with less than 1/4" thickness:

Replacement game parts including

• Cards
  • tokens
  • instructions (sometimes, depends on the size)
  • other replacement paper items like play money.  

POGS 

Stickers or Temporary tattoos 

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 46 of 107
latest reply

What does ebay consider "delivered" for a standard envelope? Does "out for delivery" qualify? Or just what does it take? 

Could you provide a screen shot of what a typical standard envelope tracking report looks like?

_____

Message 47 of 107
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

I have read many complaints about a lack of scanning and therefore tracking where these envelopes are. 

Can you fully explain what is supposed to happen?  And then, what communication have you had with the USPS about the lack of scans.

Hi @postcardcountry , 

Thanks for the feedback. We ask when eBay standard envelope is used, that sellers comply with the weight, size, and dimension restrictions, and apply the label to a standard sized envelope. When handing the item off to USPS, you can follow a similar process to what you may be used to doing with other stamped envelopes (USPS Retail locations, USPS Blue Collection Bins, in your Mailbox with the flag raised, handed over to a USPS carrier). One special note on eBay standard envelope is that NO acceptance scan is needed or offered when handing this shipment to USPS. The eBay standard envelopes will receive tracking events while in transit to the buyers. Trackability on eBay standard envelope has been great, however the trackability is not as frequent as what you may be accustom to on other parcel services. On eBay side, we have accounted for the lack of acceptance scans and frequency of tracking when evaluating seller standards. Give eBay standard envelope a try and let us know how it goes.

~Nate

Message 48 of 107
latest reply

@stampyboy wrote:

Hello,

I tried eBay standard envelope for the first time today . I see that it is not compatible with creating  Shipment Conformation Acceptance Notice. While the label does have a tracking number, no part of the label is trackable by the USPS. How will ebay track delivery?

Richard

@stampyboy Thanks for asking! eBay standard envelope is an eBay Delivery Service and is tracked by our customers through their eBay accounts. Sellers can find the tracking information in MyeBay or Seller Hub. If your buyer is asking for tracking information, please direct them to their purchase transaction history. 

In addition, eBay standard envelope can be printed in single label printing or in bulk on eBay Labels, but will not be added to the USPS scan form. eBay standard envelope shipments do not require USPS to scan the shipment.

Message 49 of 107
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I'd like to see a screen shot of an actual Standard Envelope label. Thanks.

Hello, @my-cottage-books-and-antiques. Nice to see you! 

Here is what the label look like on the envelope:

ESE Label.png

At this time, eBay labels is formatted to select an 8.5”x11” size or sizing for thermal printers (4”x6”).  Some sellers have worked out on their own how to print directly on the envelope. We encourage you to look at your printer options for envelope or photo sizing.  We are looking into other options to make direct printing onto envelopes easier.  envelope

Message 50 of 107
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

I need to ask:

Why are most item specifics answers locked?  Or why is there space to add the answer and then what you wrote vanishes.

Why do you send out letters about missing item specifics when you will not let us put the correct answer????

Anna Hütte ( Glass) is from Germany-Western Germany.  But every time I enter Germany, you take it away because the site will only will accept Czech Republic.

This site as issues and instead of bugging us about stupid things, why not fix it?

Excuse me for being angry, but I just had to refund someone who bought three Olay Face Masks and said 'they seem wrong"

@divwido - I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with that when trying to list. That's certainly not what we want. Because these issues are specific to item specifics, I would recommend providing your examples to sdsupport@ebay.com so they can look into what's happening in further detail. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 51 of 107
latest reply

I have a standard email I send.. Did 250 or so the first week it was out, the need for them has slowed down considerably.  Only 2 so far today, lol

Message 52 of 107
latest reply

nate@shipping wrote: 

We are seeing really excellent trackability on eBay standard envelope, and also are aware that eBay standard envelope will not receive acceptance scans when handed to USPS.

I've read all the FAQs on this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the buyer's carrier has no way of actually scanning the mailpiece as Delivered; is that correct? If so, what defense does the seller have against an Item Not Received dispute?

Per your FAQ: 

"From time to time, eBay standard envelope shipments unfortunately may not track all the way through delivery to your buyer. If your buyer opens an “Item Not Received” request, please work with them to issue a refund in a timely manner. In these cases, you may also consider raising a claim to recover your lost funds."

It seems to be a slam-dunk refund for the buyer, after which the seller is expected to seek restitution from eBay for their loss. 

Can the carrier mark the item as Delivered, or does this all rely on the buyer not filing a false claim?

Message 53 of 107
latest reply

Since Puerto Rico will not be added to the Standard Envelope service, how can I exclude them when creating a listing (using Auctiva) that is being offered with that service? They are part of the United States and have a U.S. Zip Code, but if something is purchased under a Std Env listing, my options are to ship without a tracking number in a plain white stamped envelope, which affects my uploaded tracking number metrics and makes me assume all risks of loss or damage, or pay $3.49 for shipping 1st Class Package in order to get a tracking number.

_____

Message 54 of 107
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

I find the width allowed to be too small.  I want my postcards to arrive intact.  I get a lot of feedback on my great packaging (and messages asking to be sure to pack so the card does not get bent).

Have you addressed the fact that it is difficult to get stiff backing that will will not bend and still fit within the 1/4 inch criteria?

Hi @postcardcountry , 

Thanks for the feedback. eBay standard envelope is very stringent on the thickness requirements, so if you want to go beyond 1/4th inch in thickness, you will need to ship with another service. 

~Nate

Message 55 of 107
latest reply

Okay... so i see this is the same as the trading card envelopes.  As a buyer who has RECEIVED many of these envelopes, i think there need to be some additional guidelines...

1- The USPS will be running these through their MACHINE sorters.  so, the contents need to be in something STIFF.  Amazingly, some of the best stiffener is 8.5x11" sheets of paper (around 2-3 sheets) folded around the cards.

2- The length of the stiffener should be the length of the envelope or the envelope gets folded/indented where there is noting in the envelope.

3- If the cards are smaller than the stiffener, they should be tacked down to prevent from sliding around inside the envelope

I have had content shipped (some worth hundreds of dollars) -- even from Japan -- in envelopes, and out of numerous cards (about 100?), only 1 issue -- and that was because the card was not placed in a proper stiffening material.  Again, the post office WILL treat these just like any other envelope.

Also, the tracking has been great!!  Only issue there is no actual delivery info -- prob bc the mailman does the delivery and so once it goes onto the truck, there is no info.

Question... some will write "Do not bend" or "Hand cancel" -- is that allowed?

_____

Message 56 of 107
latest reply

"If I use Flat, can I set a price higher than the Standard Envelope price? In other words, a 3 oz envelope....could I put in $1.00 rather than 91 cents?"

---------

Unless this also has changed with the introduction of Standard Envelope, eBay charges you 10% or more fee on your shipping charges, so you need to charge your buyers at least 10% more than the actual cost of shipping to break even.

SE team: is that 10%+ fee still in effect for SE users?

_____

Message 57 of 107
latest reply

Seller Hub Running Monthly Total Deficiency

There is NO running MONTHLY total for JUST the Sold Item Amounts (don't need shipping, don't need a total less eBay fees).  The same is true for the All Selling page.

Last 31 days for sales is useless information, why?  Because tomorrow it will be a different set of 31 days, the next day a new set o 31 and on and uselessly on.  Sellers need live running totals BY THE MONTH.  I looked all over, it does not exist.  This is NOT the same thing I brought up last week, this one is mainly about Seller Hub.

This means I have to run my own spreadsheet, meaning eBay has forced more work on me.  I run spreadsheets for all my inventory lots but now, without eBay supporting me as a Seller and providing me with the running Monthly total of JUST sold items I have to keep that myself as an additional step.

And yes, I have already used the Comments link on that page, for what its worth ... doing that for the All Selling page didn't do any good, they have not changed it yet and its been a couple of weeks, NO Urgency from eBay's design department is a real negative aspect of using the venue ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 58 of 107
latest reply

Thanks Jen!

_____

Message 59 of 107
latest reply

As a buyer, the tracking has been excellent.

Message 60 of 107
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: