cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Space Age Looking TIMEX Watch 1960-70's? Please Help Me ID This Model......................

photo 193-1.jpg photo 185-2.jpg photo 153-3.jpg photo 141-6.jpg

Hi there. I have this wind-up Timex watch that's in need of an ID. Maybe from the 1960-70's, it has a Space Age design look about it but I can't seem to find this model anywhere.

Does anyone have any additional information on this watch?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Vintage Space Age Looking TIMEX Watch 1960-70's? Please Help Me ID This Model......................

A plastic band and a plastic case...

My best guess would be mid to late 1980s, a watch created to compete with the Swatch watches that were very popular back then.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Hi, This watch definitely is from 1970's or older, since when I was appr. 5 years old 1984, the watch that was in my home, was already retired.

It is just like in photos except it has a textile strap with blue, white and red stripe. I think not many of these has survived, true rarity. Unfortenately I don't know the model.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The watch in the photos does have some details in common with the early-1970s Timexes shown on this collector's web page: http://alanwatch.homestead.com/timexmore.html

To me, that watch in the photos looks like a very early quartz model, partly due to its apparent thickness and partly due to the round white plug in the back (with the square-drive hole in the center), which looks like a battery cover. Back in the mid-1970s, Timex had a line of quartz watches that they brought out just after the short-lived LED watch era, and I was the happy owner of one (which I would dearly love to find again). It was a fat, heavy, thick thing, presumably built that way to accommodate the early quartz movement and the button cell to drive it, neither of which were as miniaturized back then as they are today.

You said that your watch is not exactly like the one in the photos, but can you pop the back off to see the movement inside?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Hi,

Sorry for my late reply, I haven't noticed your message untill now.

Unfortunately I can't take photos now since the watch is somewhere at my parents house, 400 kilometers far from my place.

I can take photos next time I visit there (it may take a while...).

But about the movement, it is a handwind movement, and there is no back cover that you could open. I think this has been a low cost model, assembled from crystal side, and the white cover could be for adjusting the balance.... just guessing. And probably meant that when the movement fails, this watch is a throwaway.

I have been a proud owner of early 70's Timex electronic for some weeks now, it has a larbe button cell and a balance that is electrically driven but not a quartz, only transistor. Very interesting watch. Try google Timex electronic or Timex electric. Both models have been produced.

Best Regards

Jukka

@lowbow2004 wrote:

photo 193-1.jpg photo 185-2.jpg photo 153-3.jpg photo 141-6.jpg

Hi there. I have this wind-up Timex watch that's in need of an ID. Maybe from the 1960-70's, it has a Space Age design look about it but I can't seem to find this model anywhere.

Does anyone have any additional information on this watch?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Hi,

I replied to wrong message.

Please see my other reply.

Best Regards Jukka

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@jukka_orn wrote:

But about the movement, it is a handwind movement, and there is no back cover that you could open. I think this has been a low cost model, assembled from crystal side, and the white cover could be for adjusting the balance.... just guessing. And probably meant that when the movement fails, this watch is a throwaway.

I have been a proud owner of early 70's Timex electronic for some weeks now, it has a larbe button cell and a balance that is electrically driven but not a quartz, only transistor. Very interesting watch. Try google Timex electronic or Timex electric. Both models have been produced.

Okay, it sounds like yours is indeed mechanical. The square-drive plug could be for speed adjustment, I suppose.

Regarding the vintage early-1970s one that I'm after, it was indeed a quartz model, as this auction here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191397168282 ...shows the same distinctive "Q" logo that mine had on the dial. The watch in that auction is vaguely similar to mine, but appears thinner, perhaps slightly newer, and does not have the chunky crystal of mine, which contained two vertical and two horizontal ridges that divided the crystal into a sort of Tic-Tac-Toe pattern. My hunt continues. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

If you find out more info about it, please post it.

My friend just found this beauty.  Looks like around the same era.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I have a blue one, exactly the same except colour & mine has vertical stripes. It originally had a white strap. I had it for my 11th birthday in 1971!!

mine had stopped working but I had it fixed about 8 years ago, it comes out now & again & is still working.  There is a model number but I can't read it!! 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I have this one, it was bought for my 11th birthday in 1971, it still works. The original strap was white.I have this one, it was bought for my 11th birthday in 1971, it still works. The original strap was white.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi, I had this watch, bought it in Toronto about 1969. It was a wonderful fashion statement for a pre-teen. I know a lot of people admired it as it was rare to see anything this modern, and yes even futuristic/space age. I think it was a bit more delicate and lightweight as compared to my metal Timex, which was my first watch. The plastic surround felt a bit bulky on my wrist so I wore it less than I had hoped. I absolutely loved the colour! Overall it was a great buy and though I wore it more for dressing up than everyday, I loved it and hope to find it one day in amongst my things.

Retro Timex.jpg

Message 11 of 11
latest reply