cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling rolex watch

I'm fairly new to selling on ebay and have a rolex watch to sell. I have been hesitant to sell it because I am unsure how to make sure the transaction goes smoothly.
What do I need to know to make sure that the buyers know they are getting a real rolex and that I dont get "taken" somehow but a dishonest buyer. I have heard of people switching out watches etc.
How can I make sure this auction goes smoothly for myself and the buyer?!
Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Selling rolex watch

auctionphotos
Enthusiast
One of the most important things you can do is to take LOTS of close-up, high resolution pictures of the watch from every angle, inside and outside. You don't mention the Rolex model or whether its a gents or ladies watch... the identifying areas are specific to each, so I'll just list a few and let you apply the ones that fit. A few key areas you'll want to shoot are:

1) Obviously, close-ups of the watch from every angle
2) A "head-on" shot of the date window (if it has one) showing the magnification. Fakes often don't have 2.5x magnification.
3) A shot of the areas between the lugs (on Oyster cased Rolexes) showing the serial number on one side and the model number on the other.
4) A close-up of the front and back of the fold-over clasp (if applicable)
5) Close-ups of the dial and bezel, showing great detail. Fakes often have rough printing or slightly incorrect hour markers, hands and bezel details.
6) If possible, a picture of the bracelet ends where they attach to the watch, showing the bracelet model number. (Even on real Rolexes, the bracelets and bezels can often be aftermarket/fake)
7) Most important... take off the back and show detailed photos of the movement. Even the best fakes will be shown for what they are by the ETA movement inside.

If you are unable or feel uncomfortable shooting all these pictures or taking the back off, consider getting an eBay Trading Assistant that is a Rolex expert (not just a drop-off shop... they're horrible) to help you with the sale. We're a registered eBay Trading Assistant and there are others out there, also. Hope this helps!

Greg
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Selling rolex watch

sheila6325
Enthusiast
You may want to consider an escrow account, it makes it safer for the buyer and the seller.

One suggertion for me would be, to only send the watch when the money clears, and POST that in the AUCTION with a notice that it will be at least 2 weeks before it will be mailed. That will give you time to make sure the money STAYS in your account, and does not get a notice later on that the account has insufficient funds 2 weeks later, or worse yet, that it was a stolen credit card.

It does happen.

OR (what I would do) is take ONLY CASH, via money order, or cashiers check.

Of course, that is, after you do EVERYTHING Greg suggested to PROVE that the watch is authentic.

Remember, a buyer has no proof that you are going to send the watch either. Answer any questions quickly and let them know you are honest by giving your address and other information they may want. (to a degree)

You have perfect suggestions above, use them.

Buyers will thank you for it.

PS I don't know "Escrow" but I understand it's pretty good, however I would read up on it first.

If you choose to use it, SAY SO IN THE AUCTION and say NO EXCEPTIONS.

Both will be covered, and will feel much safer.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Selling rolex watch

Hello,

I have two Rolex watches; need some cash to move, and would like to sell one of them.

I am willing to give an assistant a reasonable fee to assist me!

Thanks!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Selling rolex watch

Never sell anything on here that you are not prepared to lose. Have you considered approaching any local jewelers about a consignment type of arrangement?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Selling rolex watch

Take your watch to a reputable jeweler first.He will check the serial number inside under the set time pin.It is a Federal Offense to sell a fake,or stolen watch. Also,the jeweler also has a list of serial numbers that would match stolen Rolexes on file that have been reported.

Does Ebay even cover you for buying a Fake Rolex? Can you be refunded  through Ebay policy?white_check_mark

@kst831 wrote:
I'm fairly new to selling on ebay and have a rolex watch to sell. I have been hesitant to sell it because I am unsure how to make sure the transaction goes smoothly.
What do I need to know to make sure that the buyers know they are getting a real rolex and that I dont get "taken" somehow but a dishonest buyer. I have heard of people switching out watches etc.
How can I make sure this auction goes smoothly for myself and the buyer?!
Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Selling rolex watch

I bought a ROLEX in a watch lot. The Rolex looked real to the jeweler, it was a good looking fake he told me. But the serial numbers didn't match up. The watch band was real, but the rest was fake. Buyer beware. Get a COA with purchase.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Selling rolex watch

The best way to keep from getting scammed, sell local and get cash.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Selling rolex watch

I have 4 Rolex and I don't know how I can sell it I'm scared about the brand
could you help me with that, please 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Selling rolex watch

Hi .. i recently sold a 17,000. Steve McQueen watch.. does anyone have advise one the safest way to ship it ..not meaning about breakage but about making sure i have enough photos of the interior the actual item so that if the buyer gets it .. and is dishonest .. i dont somehow want to get caught up in a case where he claims it isn’t real or even worse takes the movement and replaces it with a fake... Ive heard horror stories.. thanks so much

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Selling rolex watch

Personally, I wouldn't.  The buyer may claim that it is fake (there really ARE tons of counterfeits here) and get a refund without returning it.  You wont get ANYWHERE NEAR its actual value at this big electronic yard sale.  And the payment could be easily voided, leaving you with no money and no watch.

Are YOU sure it is genuine?  The sterling and diamond Omega I was given to sell turned out to be fake - the counterfeiters STILL used $400 of materials to copy a $1200 watch but an EXCEPTIONAL fake is still fake.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply