cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Marathon GSAR a good watch for the money?

geebee711
Enthusiast
I have a chance to purchase A new Marathon GSAR for less than it's $675 retail price, from one of it's two authorized sellers. I'm looking for a rugged military watch. Other much more expensive watches like "TAG", and "Omega", are heavily advertized, and I'm sure that their prices will include some of these advertizing costs. Marathon watches are not advertized, so I'm thinking one would get an equally good watch, at a lower price. Are they a good value, and are the ETA 2824-A2 movement used, reliable? These watches are not generally offered outside of their military contract. One side note: I wanted a watch with Tritium. Spec's below.

Made by the Marathon Watch Company by contract to the Canadian and now the U.S. Government
Movement: ETA 2824-A2Dial: measures 27.7mm and utilizes Tritium Gas Vials for Night Illumination
Crystal: sapphire - 2.8mm thick x 30.50mm diameter
Case: is cut from 316L stainless steel
Case diameter is approximately 46.0mm
Bezel diameter is 41.10mm, milled engraved and filled
Case Height is 13.85mm
20 mm lugs with drilled holes
Crown: 6.5mm dia x 5.50mm long, deep knurled
Weight of head 93.1 grams
Rubber Strap is Swiss Made Natural Rubber (not to be confused with plastic or composite bands)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Counterfeit items suck...... almost as much as the people who sell them!
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

geebee711
Enthusiast
I also understand that the ETA 2824 has 17 Jewels, yet the ETA 2824-A2 that this Marathon, has 25 Jewels. Is is a big improvement over the standard ETA 2824 movement?
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
Marathon SAR reviews:

http://nov2004sar.blogspot.com/

http://forums.timezone.com/?t=rview&th=519000&goto=1459007

Never had any problems with the ETA 2824-A2.

Greg
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

geebee711 - what is your intended use for the watch?
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

geebee711
Enthusiast
Thanks for the links Greg. However, the one question not answered was: Is the GSAR a good value if purchased for less than retail? There are other choices I had, but are beyond what I wanted to pay. I would really like to have the (James Bond style) Omega blue faced Seamaster Auto (full size). Instead of putting everything in one watch, I would rather have several lower priced ones. I already have one expensive watch (Rolex).

The watches I presently own are 2 Seiko Chronographs. 1 Seiko perpetual calendar. 1 Wenger Chronograph. 1 Swiss Army divers. 1 Citizen Eco-Drive Chronograph divers. These are of course, are Quarts watches.

The only automatic watch I own, is a Rolex DateJust (18kt/SS) that I purchased in 1982. Believe it or not, it's not my most favorite watch. Most people who see it, thinks it's a fake. And I'm not overly impressed with it accuracy, and I've had it cleaned by a factory authorized dealer at a cost of about $300 years ago. For that price, it did come with a new chrystal (acrylic?). My Rolex now has "Band stretch" really bad. Yes, I did use to wear it a lot.

So my big question now is...Do I go Quartz, or with the Automatic? I understand both of the pro's and cons. Quarts for accuracy? Or Auto, never needing to worry about a battery (but less accurate)? If I need accuracy, I have this with my Seiko Perpetual. Not only does it have a 10 year battery, but it gives me an annual Loss/Gain of less than 20 seconds a year. I've hade this watch for about 6 years know, and this rate is accurate.

I've always felt that an Automatic watch has more "soul" than a quartz. And the purpose of the GSAR will not be for diving, as I don't dive. I just like to looks of a diver. Also...I've always wanted to have a watch with "Tritium". Lastly, I wanted a true affordable modern Military watch...one that everyone doesn't have.

Pictured below, are pictures of some of the watches I have. This will give you an example of what I like.

Thanks for the regulars here, and for the wealth of information you have given us (me).

((((sorry for the long winded post.:-))))

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
"Is the GSAR a good value if purchased for less than retail?"

That's a very subjective question. The reviews by people who owned them seemed to indicate they were satisfied with what they bought. I don't do a lot of shopping in that particular segment of the watch market, so I can't really advise you from personal experience. Most of what I collect is vintage.

The small handful of modern chunky SS divers in my stable are custom-built by me. Bob Frei (www.ofrei.com) will come up with interesting new samples from case suppliers around the world and I take them home, combine them with a new ETA 7750 or other movement, a custom dial and build a watch or 2 to suit my fancy. It satisfies my inner (foolish) fantasy to start a watch company. On a whim, I built up a bunch of (about 20) solid 18K custom chronos with TAG Heuer 7750 movements a couple of years ago:

Greg
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

jacketwatch
Scout
The Marathons have a smallish but loyal following. The reviews I see on the watch forums I use are all positive and I don't think they are steeply discounted in $$ so if you can get one for < MSRP AND if you like that style then its for you. Value is personal. If you really like it and would be happy to have one then get it. Its all the better if its a bit of a bargain. If you are looking for something to buy then flip for a profit then I would skip it.
Greg I must say that watch you made is beautiful.
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

ezsalestexas
Enthusiast
Greg I like that a lot. Nice elegant piece. Are you selling these?
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

watcherofwatches
Enthusiast
geebee711 - if you like the Marathon, buy it. It probably will work well. But since it is a small, not well know company, it isn't something you can expect long term value out of. You might want to consider buying a vintage Omega instead.
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
Tex,

Thanks! I sold all 20 watches, unfortunately. I really wish I had kept one for myself and I've tried to buy one back from the buyers, but nobody wants to sell. The 18K cases were really heavy and nice.... I wish I could get more of them.

Greg
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

nobody wants to sell

I can see why.

Greg, that is a very beautiful watch. I don't think you wanting to start a watch company is foolish at all. I think you would do very well.
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
Jade,

People make a small fortune running watch companies. Unfortunately they start with a large fortune and make it a small fortune. 😉 It's all about name recognition and spending millions on marketing to build a brand. It takes years and most will fail. It's one of those crazy dreams that my practical side knows it is best not to pursue.

Greg
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

That's too bad. Cause I keep scrolling up to take another looksie, LOL. Like every time I see an Omega or Breitling, gotta take just one more look...

I still haven't read "Watches: the Ultimate Guide" all they way through. Had it for about six months now. I keep getting mesmorized by the pictures! :^O
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Out of curiosity, what do the words at the bottom of the dial say? they're too small for me to read.
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

geebee711
Enthusiast
Below the word "Automatic", reads: 300m/1000ft.
Message 15 of 28
latest reply