cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dating a Bulova Ladies Watch

auntlorivintage
Enthusiast
Ok - I thought I did my homework and googled this. I see there are letters that are used to date the watch. However, the watch I have - a vintage Bulova ladies 14K gold filled watch - has a serial number starting with F. F is not on any of the lists?

The serial number is F307207. Anyone?

Lori
auntlorilogo
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

retiredsince2003
Enthusiast
The F is part of the serial number and is not used to date the watch. There should be a two digit number stamped on the caseback.
L indicates the 50's....L4 would be 1954
M indicates the 60's....M7 would be 1967
N indicates the 70's....N2 would be 1972
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

auntlorivintage
Enthusiast
And if there isn't? This is probably older than the 1950's.

Lori
auntlorilogo
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

retiredsince2003
Enthusiast
Then I would suggest you post pictures. There is probably someone that will be able to date it for you.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
Pre-1948 (approx), Bulova didn't use 2-digit date codes on the case to indicate production year. Earlier watches can be dated from small geometric symbols stamped on the movement:

Greg
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

sheila4864
Enthusiast
What do you mean on the Movement
I have one on ebay now that does not any letters
that must be pre 1948
but can't find the marking and I know it's Antque
Item no
Antique Bulova Ladies 10 k gold filled 2 diamond watch
Item Id: 180314290009
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
"What do you mean on the Movement"

The "movement" is the mechanical works inside the case that runs the watch. You have to open the case to see the movement. None of your 4 auction pictures show anything except the front of the watch.

For example, if you look at the Bulova ladies movement in the picture below, you'll see a small square that indicates it was produced in 1936:

Greg
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Sheila, you will always get better prices for watches if you include a picture of the movement. Omitting this will cause a lot of potential bidders to hit that back button.

af
=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

bobnellis1
Enthusiast
I have a 1948 ladies bulova watch. I know it is 1948 because I bought it. on the works it says 27 jewl & 48
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

vintagehorologist
Thrill-Seeker
I have a 1948 ladies bulova watch. I know it is 1948 because I bought it. on the works it says 27 jewl & 48

Bulova has never made a 27-jewel ladies watch. I think you mis-read. 17-jewel movements were typical.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I am trying to find the value of my 1954 bulova ladies watch, does anyone know where to go?
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

If you post good clear photos of the front of the case, the inside of the back cover & the movement, those of us on this board might be able to help you.
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Unless the case is gold the value will be quite low, as there is no real interest in relatively modern lady's watches.
=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

1956 square ladies 18k 23 jewel S87673 any idea on value?
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

You can do an ebay search for a similar Bulova watch at auction and compare prices, you can also do a google search on your watches value. I myself find that vintage watches, if working get a collector vlaue of nearly what the watch originally sold for. Another easy thing to do is to bring the watch to a fairly large or up-scale jewelery shop in your area and ask them their value on your watch.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply