cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this ? I am stumped, It is cast iron and no markings.

It is cast ironIt is cast ironNo markingsNo markingsEdithspapertool 012.JPG

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@moxiedrinker  Interesting piece, looks like the holes are spaced on 1" centers and I assume they are 1/2 holes so there might be another piece to this puzzle that is missing.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Hello, The 1/2 holes are a 1/4 of an inch.And how there could be another part is an even bigger mystery.  Thanks   Tom

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@moxiedrinker  Yes, but that's my point, to make the holes the two pieces are required for either drilling the holes unless the piece looks like it was cast that way?  So lets figure that piece is used to form something about 10" with numerous "things" sticking out the side ... the "things" could be laid in the modl then the liquid poured in to it ... but for the life of me I wouldn't know what something like that would be ... just list it as Cast Iron 1/2 mold Rare and Unique and put it up on Auction starting at $ 19.95 ...

Don't laugh, every once in a while I list omething and make a mistake on it and some nice Buyer messages me about the mistake!!!!!  You might get an answer quicker that way!

My gut feeling though is that it is some kind of candle mold, flat bottom and tapered top AND you only have 1/2 of the mold ...

Regards,
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

It appears to be half of a mold.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@zzydny

@zzydny wrote:

It appears to be half of a mold.

Thanks, I'm thinking the same thing ... maybe an old candle mold ... maybe they plugged all but one hole along the side for the wick and with an insert could change the length candle they made ... just a little early American thinking here ...

Regards,
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I pretty sure it's not for cooking a single Hotdog!

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@moxiedrinker

@moxiedrinker wrote:

I pretty sure it's not for cooking a single Hotdog!

LOL!  Post of THE Day! Still laughing and needed that chuckle for sure!

Regards,
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

You have to hear this! I sent a photo to an antque dealer friend . Her answer Single  slice of bacon Fryer,With special spout!  LOL!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Just a thought. You could scoop something out of a barrel (let's say oats), then put the pointy end into the container you want the oats to go in.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

An Facebook member said He had one .It is part of a grill ,this part caught the grease from it.So is is missing the grill!
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@moxiedrinker

@moxiedrinker wrote:
An Facebook member said He had one .It is part of a grill ,this part caught the grease from it.So is is missing the grill!

Oh, so its not several hundred years old for candle making like we all thought?  Too bad ... sorry you don't have the grill that goes along with it, huh?!?

Regards,
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I am just happy to find out what the heck it was part of,And connect with some interesting peop[e along the way. Thanks again. Tom

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I have a feeling it is an antique stake template or mold, to make 10 or 11 inch metal stakes..?? If it were for candles, don't think it would have to be so heavy, and cast iron. Candle molds are usually plastic or rubber , (thinking back to craft store set) ...Thinking the "Antique Dealer" was joking. Enjoyed the thought of scooping grains from a barrel, but might make more sense to use a funnel and coffee can for that. lol
But still trying to envision the other half....May be the same, they just got separated? And they would put them in a fire, something a blacksmith would use.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for adding to the mix! An antque dealer said that he had a very old cast iron grill that had that drip catcher as part of it. But he had no picture of it. Wished he had one .  Best   Tom

Message 15 of 15
latest reply