cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help date this Vintage Saks Fifth Avenue Women’s Velvet skirt suit w gold trim

Hello Vintage Gurus,

Can anyone give me information about this velvet skirt suit from Saks Fifth Avenue? The tag may date this to the 1950's??? It is beautiful velvet, fully lined, high waist, a-line skirt and lovely gold rope braid trim. Any info about this item would be much appreciated! Thank you for paying it forward!  I was unable to figure out how to flip the photos. Hope this works. 🙂

IMG_0278.JPGIMG_0281.JPGIMG_0284.JPGIMG_0286.JPGIMG_0287.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Please help date this Vintage Saks Fifth Avenue Women’s Velvet skirt suit w gold trim

Can't see the A-line from your photographs.  Is the hem original?  How long is the skirt?  If the label is genuine, it dates to post-1960s.  (You can confirm below.)  The skirt certainly looks as if it could be 1970s.  But I wil say, it was an old-fashioned looking outfit in its time.  Matronly.

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/saks-fifth-avenue/

Debora

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for the feedback. I have included a better photo of the skirt. It is

• high waisted.
  • fully lined.
  • Velvet fabric small button front 
  • YES it was HEMMED to 25" the last photo shows this. 

I saw the 70's Saks tag. It strikes me as too ornate and Victorian looking for the 70's...but.. that is why i posted here

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

A real puzzle.   Skirt design very 1970s w/ the wide waist band, front buttons.   Depending on size, 25" would be right for a midi.  But jacket is not 1970s at all.  Much more 1950s.  And skirt could be 1950s too if cut slim and not too A-line.

Debora

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you! The more i re-analyze my description i realize the skirt is more straight than a-line. Appreciate you paying it forward with information!
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Sorry to be so late to the discussion~I haven't checked by here for ages.

That metallic braid trim points to late 1960s/early 1970s to me. The jacket collar and fabric look 70s to me.  The lining would more than likely be a crepe if it were 50s (I just don't see 50s ). This has the "romantic Edwardian" Gunne Sax/Laura Ashley vibe that was popular in the 70s.

I wonder if the buttons on the skirt should be on the side~it looks odd to have the self-fabric button on the skirt topped with metallic button on the jacket.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

THANK YOU! Yes i can see the Gunne Sax vibe. Appreciate it! Happy New Year
Message 7 of 7
latest reply