cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with terminology for an overhanging shoulder on a vtg leather jacket

Hi, new to this group. I have a 70s Cortefiel leather bomber jacket from Spain with an overhanging shoulder. There's an extra piece stitched on there, over the sleeve.

Is there a name for this type of shoulder treatment? Looks 80s to me, but they were more exaggerated. Thanks, Bill

spain4.jpgspain5.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I would research medieval/Renaissance Fair-type clothing styles,focusing on “jerkin” or “doublet” to see if there’s a name for that  extra piece. Am sure there probably is, but nothing comes to mind right now.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I would research medieval/Renaissance Fair-type clothing styles,focusing on “jerkin” or “doublet” to see if there’s a name for that  extra piece. Am sure there probably is, but nothing comes to mind right now.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

gardensgrey, thank you, that's it. It looks like a Renaissance doublet. The jerkin also uses that style, but generally has no sleeves. One site I looked at that makes jerkins  for cosplay called it a shoulder 'cap'. Wikipedia said doublets started in Spain, so that fits. Those sites get a good price for custom leather reproductions, by the way.

Thanks again.

Bill

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Glad you found it.

Sometimes being a history geek comes in handy!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply